ad: Radclub22-1

Petition: 2 metre amateur band must be kept

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jun 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N4VLB

N4VLB Ham Member QRZ Page

I might well be wrong, but is my understanding that the French aerospace firm, Thales Group, instigated this request, and the intention is to use the frequency allocation for domestic /non-military drone operation purposes. I feel that amateur radio operators in any nation that has corporate entities interested in widespread domestic / commercial usage of drones should watch this development carefully and be prepared to comment if necessary.

2. N4VLB

N4VLB Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct. At the present time, the US region is not affected. Key words being "present time." Considering a single corporate entity apparently requested the change and considering the apparent intent for a re-allocation, the amateur radio operators in the US region would do well to follow the story closely.

WQ4G, AE6AI and ND6M like this.
  3. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I'm getting a better 'feel' for this. So far, it's only a proposal and hasn't been decided on in any way. A "the sky is falling" attitude is a bit premature at this time. It would certainly bare watching, but no hysterics yet...

4. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

France
    is proposing to remove the 2m band from radio amateurs worldwide.

The aim is to give the 2m band 144-146 MHz, which has hitherto been assigned to the radio amateurs on a primary-exclusive basis, to the radio radio on a primary basis.

This application is not to be joked.

The request essentially operates the armaments and aircraft group Thales.

See also the following link:

https://www.f4fxl.org/2m-amateur-radio-band-endangered/

fcc.jpeg

5. IW2BSF

from ARRL web site :

No Strong Opposition to 144 – 146 MHz Reallocation Proposal at CEPT Meeting
    06/25/2019

A World Radiocommunication Conference 2023 (WRC-23) agenda item proposing to study a range of frequencies, including potentially reassigning 144 – 146 MHz as a primary Aeronautical Mobile Service allocation, drew little opposition at a meeting of the European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations (CEPT) Project Team A. The team is responsible for some aspects of CEPT WRC positions, and the meeting was held June 17 – 21 in Prague, Czech Republic. Introduced by France, the proposal targeting 144 – 146 MHz would be part of a broader consideration of spectrum allocated to the Aeronautical Mobile Service. Another issue addressed during the meeting concerned the sharing of the Amateur Radio 1240 – 1300 MHz band with Europe’s Galileo GPS system.

“We hear only one admin[istration] (Germany) opposed the 144 MHz proposal — no one else,” the UK Microwave Group tweeted following the meeting. Otherwise, it has been carried forward to the higher-level CEPT Conference Preparatory Group (CPG) meeting in August.

The International Amateur Radio Union (IARU), which was represented at the Prague meeting, expressed “grave concern” to any proposal that would include 144 – 146 MHz in the proposed Aeronautical Mobile Services agenda item. That comprises the entire available 2-meter band in ITU Region 1. IARU has pledged to make every effort to fully protect Amateur Radio interests and seek the support of regulators for their view.

IARU Region 1 President Don Beattie, G3BJ, said prior to the meeting that the IARU would “energetically” promote its opposition in Regional Telecommunications Organizations (RTOs) and the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) “to obtain assurances that the spectrum will remain a primary allocation for the amateur services.”

The 144 – 146 MHz band is allocated globally to the Amateur and Amateur Satellite services on a primary basis, and is the only globally harmonized Amateur Radio VHF band. A widely used segment of the Amateur Radio spectrum, 2 meters supports a broad base of terrestrial users, repeater systems, and satellite stations, including the International Space Station.

According to the meeting minutes, the proposal provides no justification for targeting 144 – 146 MHz, and the IARU believes that sharing with airborne systems likely would be difficult and lead to constraints on the development of the Amateur and Amateur Satellite services there. IARU suggested that alternative proposals might be developed that could provide further spectrum for the aeronautical applications without impacting this Amateur Service spectrum.

IARU is expected to brief member-societies, requesting that they discuss the French proposal with their governments in advance of the August CEPT-CPG meeting. France could seek to introduce the same proposal to study 144 – 146 MHz for aeronautical use into other RTOs.

Meanwhile, further discussion on the 23-centimeter band study proposal is anticipated prior to the Conference Preparatory Group meeting in August. The proposal was raised in the wake of reports of interference to the Galileo navigation system, but IARU has said it’s aware of only “a handful of cases” of reported interference to the Galileo E6 signal on 1278.750 MHz. Work on this issue will continue in other specialized CEPT forums in the interim

6. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

By the way 145-146 is the world wide SATELLITE band ! & the hams in the UK do use it ! What will those FROGS think of next ?

7. G4HBI

G4HBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Use a G stations post code you'll find loads on QRZ

WQ4G likes this.
  8. G0KAY

G0KAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Spelling "meter" wrong in the petition means that it loses credibility straight off. I'm joking.

But really...

Unfortunately, as it's already got to this stage does in reality mean that feasibility studies have already been made.
    The lack of active use of the 2m band has led to this, for which we are only to blame.

The best way to fight this is to use the band.
    Trystan
    G0KAY

G3SEA likes this.
  9. N2LEE

N2LEE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I always find it interesting when people are so quick to give away other peoples rights.
    What will happen when they come for a portion of the band you do care about, but there will not be anyone left to stand up and support you

This should be of concern for all amateurs regardless if you use 2 meters or not.
    Other wise next time it will be a band you do care about.

WQ4G, G3SEA and M0YRX like this.
  10. IW2BSF

As there is a lot of ‘fake news’ appearing on this subject, this is the official position from IARU R1 member societies which I have forwarded from elsewhere:

Latest News On the Current 2 m Band Allocation Discussion

The French administration at short notice had handed in a modified a proposal to WRC-19 preparatory groups at CEPT that WRC-19 should decide on feasibility studies for additional Aeronautical-Mobile-Services(AMS) allocations in the range from 144 MHz to 22.2 GHz.

If this proposal in its current version is endorsed at the next meeting of the CEPT Conference Preparatory Group in August it is highly likely that it will appear on the agendas of WRC-19 and WRC-23 where a final decision will be made. At least 10 of the 48 CEPT countries have to be in favour of this proposal while not more than 6 must be against this.

During the recent Meeting of the CEPT Project Team A in Prague this proposal by France was being discussed for the first time. Only the German delegation made it clear that they are against this proposal including 144-146 MHz.

The main reason for that little opposition might be that the 2 m band was included in the revised version of that French proposal only few days before the deadline for the Prague meeting. Consequently most other European countries had no time for internal discussions let alone formulating their position.

IARU, being supported by regulatory experts of their member associations (RSGB, DARC, VERON etc) is intensively working on executing their influence within the current process and trying to keep the 2 m band as it is now. By the way, the cost of this activities is covered by the funds resulting from the contributions of the IARU member societies. So those who left their county’s amateur radio society should perhaps reconsider their decision. Without the commitment and the funds the amateur radio community would have little influence in that process, let alone could be present at the relevant meetings.

Most importantly, amateur radio should speak with a single voice only.

So I would like to ask everybody to refrain from using maybe good personal contacts to your government or the EU. This would weaken our position and take away power and vigour from the systematic approach by IARU and country amateur radio societies.

73 Bernd DF2ZC, designated Frequency Manager DARC

N2UN likes this.
  11. VE2TH

VE2TH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly the same here in Canada, like VK5KKS said: I wouldn't have a problem losing two meters. I scan the repeaters on 2M and 70CM and there is nothing. Put out a call, no reply.

And it is worse higher in the Spectrum, no activities.

12. KF5VUD

KF5VUD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So you've never volunteered for a marathon or a bike race where 2m is critical for communications? I have. We would feel a huge loss if 2m went away. And once it did, what next? Selling off the bands to the highest bidder is the first nail in amateur radio's coffin.

13. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in the US it seems to me alot of the spectrum between 148-172 or so is much less densely populated since the public service went to 800-900. And same for 30-50. And most of the pressure seems to be demand for high UHF or microwave bands due to personal/commercial needs. I don't recall any pressure on 2M in the US. There is a very large "potential" usage of the band because you see tons of repeater listings but that is not equal to activity here anymore. It might turn out to be "sorry about your drone crashing, mate. It was as if some mysterious signal appeared out of nowhere and jammed it!" I will make one exception. The group of people using some of the more modern modes on 2M seem to be much more active than FM operators, but there are not enough of them on to make up for the FM wasteland, yet. I myself bought a used digital rig from a flea market and ended up with an expensive broken paperweight instead. Not repairable like most SMD stuff.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    WQ4G likes this.
  14. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

i never sign my name any out side of my own town. you sign your name, and guess what? you get bombarded with ads, requests,robo calls, more junk mail.

15. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

How is the ' Activity ' of the band measured and who measures it ? :cool:
    This could apply to any band of course.

G3SEA/KH6