Perpetual RTTY station around 14.191

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by K2CD, Mar 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wondering if anybody knows what this is, and where it's coming from. I've heard it for a long time, but never gave it much of a thought. That is until I was trying to hear 9M0W who has been operating on 14.190. I tried decoding it, but see nothing intelligible. I'm used to seeing signals like this on 30 meters.

73/DX,
    Mike, K2CD

2. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

What do you mean by "for a long time"? Hours? Days? Weeks? Months? Years? I have never heard RTTY on 14.191 that I am aware of...

4. K2CD

Hours and hours on end. It faded out now, but it's been there every morning for weeks. Signal peaks in the direction of Europe. Apparently KD8TNF was hearing it as well. He posted a spot for 9M0W on 14.190 with the comment "INSANE 24HR RTTY 9M0W PSE CHOOSE NEW FREQ". . .

5. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Gotcha. Usually not on HF in the mornings due to this silly job... o_O

6. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W4RAV, AG5DB, WU8Y and 1 other person like this.
  7. K2CD

Thank you! Was nearly S9 most of the morning. I am assuming whatever they're sending is encrypted, but I'll try those parameters and see what I see when it comes back, and I have no doubt it will.

8. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Morning coffee insight: Remember that they are probably using the Cyrillic RTTY typeset.

WU8Y and K2CD like this.
  9. K2CD

Doh, I never thought of that!

10. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

A PK-232 should be able to decode to the sent characters; though, it won't decode anything that's encrypted .
    Rob

KB4QAA likes this.