Perhaps we should have an SDR forum on QRZ.com?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4RAV, May 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Arrived today. Shipping not bad, bought Tuesday, showed up Friday.

Did NOT come in the blister pack as expected. Came packaged with everything seen here:

newdonglemay2014k2ncc.jpg
    (click to enlarge)

2. KI6LZ

KI6LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Got mine today also in same packaging.

3. W4RAV

I wonder, if I wanted to put the Newsky vs the "generic" dongles I have, what would be a good test for a simple station to compare the two?

So far, they seem identical. The only thing I can think of is snagging screenshots between the two, or running something like the "Scanner Software" and compare graphs.
    rtlsdrgraph001.png

4. KI6LZ

Success :D Got Sdr# running with the new dongle and am copying ssb and cw. Is there any way to decrease the span on SDR#, been looking but can't seem to find it. Next step will be to get SDR Console running, need to down load some .dlls. Looking good but a little noisy.

5. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Get them on SSB, let them run for an hour or so, and see how much they drift.

6. KI6LZ

I'm using a mixer I built years ago, maybe $5 bucks worth of components. A NE 602/612, 50 Mhz Xtal and voltage regulator. Using it to downconvert my 72Mhz If. With the dongle I just look at the up convert side. Will check drift out and let you know.

7. W4RAV

Have something else to try? I've not seen much drift even in the non-Newsky ones. I figure a long RX, like this HF fax, is a good indicator of drift, since it's straight throughout?

140515-121010.PNG

8. W4RAV

If I understand correctly, that would be the "Configure" button. Probably looks like a sprocket.

View attachment 182105

Unless otherwise needed, I typically keep mine at 1.4 sample rate.

You also have a Zoom slider to bring in the details better.

9. KI6LZ

Will try that. Last night after the dongle warmed I left my radio tuned to WWV (10 Mhz) for about an hour, I retuned my radio 20 Hz to correct for the drift. My setup is a mixer up converting from 72 MHz to 122 Mhz.

10. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

What mode are Fax signals and how wide is the Mode? On wide Modes like AM and FM drift will be little to no problem, as the dongles don't drift so much that it is noticeable. SSB is a different matter. Stability counts.

BTW, what frequency, Mode and Software are you using to RX these Faxes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.