ad: Prosistel-1

Perhaps we should have an SDR forum on QRZ.com?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4RAV, May 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. AD5CL

AD5CL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks a pantload. Now my brain hurts.

lol

2. G4OTU

G4OTU Ham Member QRZ Page

Is anyone here using a dongle for ADS-B on 1090mhz?

3. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, what I just happen to be doing at the moment. ADS-B (tracking planes) is fun!

adsbmay14.PNG

4. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks boring..... There I go with all that negativity again! :p

5. W4RAV

Yeah, gotten to be quite the theme with you. Perhaps resist the urge next time. [​IMG][​IMG]

Another fun thing I like doing with the dongle, but requires the upconverter or HF mod; weather and news fax

kyodonewsfax.PNG

But now I'm wandering into modes instead of SDR. There's just so many of them, it's kinda hard to avoid!

6. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that looks more interesting. I was unaware you could do that.

Just because you started this thread, I dusted off the old Ham It Up Upconverter this morning and played a little. I'm going to have to learn about the different software and modes and what is available. I refuse to watch airplanes fly around. :)

7. W4RAV

Perhaps boats then (AIS, GMDSS), cars (APRS), trains (HOT, EOT, DPU, ATCS), satellites (Orbcomm, NOAA, etc.), or other ways to watch planes (ADS-B, ACARS, HFDL, VDL2)?

I seem to spend more time tracking things than in a QSO. But right now pulling in a weatherfax via California (12.784-ish). I still monitor and report JT65/9 decodes. Regularly use the modes listed above.

Usually I monitor a mode or method that reports to an online service, such as RadarBox24, AIShub, marinetraffic.com, pskreporter, aprs.fi, etc. By it's nature, many modes can be a real-time propagation reporter.

For what it's worth, check out my youtube videos for samples, settings, software used, etc.

8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Ordered this one a week ago

image.jpg

May take up to a month to get here.

9. W4RAV

Ordered mine today, let's see how long it takes to get here. Bought from USA seller (nooelec) so bet I get it by end-of-week.

Although I have no idea what I'd do with a 3rd dongle. So far I only use one 99% of the time. Perhaps I can find someone local that I can tempt into SDR with one.

10. W4RAV

I don't have much interest in making things. I wonder if the tools and supplies would out-cost the 4 or 5 connectors I might get over years.

I am curious however of what crimper you use for MCX Steve?

Personally, I prefer the "tails" that have a few inches of run. Seems it would lessen stress on the connection. I also prefer the angled adapters. Keeps it out of the way of other USB devices.

View attachment 181607

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.