Perhaps we should have an SDR forum on QRZ.com?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4RAV, May 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5ITM

K5ITM Ham Member QRZ Page

Can be downloaded from here: http://sdrsharp.com/downloads/sdr-install.zip

2. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Steve! I will consider the Newsky brand for my next purchase.

I never looked for documentation or asked for their help, so I can't speak for NooElec's support. The Internet already has everything we need to know about these devices.

I got the up-converter since I have zero interest in taking gear apart. I'm one of those guys that would rather not pop the hood of my car. 8) It does add noise, but gives me HF. I'm suspect the mod wouldn't give me the benefits of a complete circuit board that's designed for the job. I would look more into it, but kinda pointless now.

I could really use an FM-trap, as several broadcast towers are line-of-sight to me. So far I've been able to work around them. This is what one looks like with gain set to ZERO:
    zerogainFMstation.PNG

I'm using a discone antenna, but it does surprisingly well on HF. Granted, it's no big-gun station, heck, not even a little gun, but does everything I ask it to.

I thought selling off my gear and getting a toy like this would get me away from the radio more often. Little did that help! ;) Still spend hours every day in front of a waterfall. Doing things now I couldn't do with my "real" SDR, and a whole lot cheaper of course.

It does get warm, and drifts like a tube-rig when you first start it. However, it's been on here all day and still dead-on WWV, so I figure the drift problem isn't much of one for me. I heard adding a fan helps. I don't know about the ESD problems, but hasn't been an issue here. Wet climate and proper shack design I guess. Time will tell.

For those that haven't already, if you want to try out software-defined-radio, without giving up a lot of $$$, it's worth buying one.

3. W4RAV

Are you sure the Funcube dongle you have can display more than that? The classic version appears to be only 80k. I haven't looked hard enough to discover how wide the Pro version is, but probably in your documentation or on their site.

As far as can't be downloaded, perhaps refresh the page you visited. There's been some soap-opera over code rights so some folks are having a tantrum at the moment. K5ITM's link he posted is good.

I like SDRConsole best, mostly due to it's multi-VFO, but I use SDR# more because of all the plug-ins available. I've used HDSDR a few times and it's a fine program too. They all do about the same it seems. Even if your name is Nancy. ;)

4. W4RAV

5. W4RAV

Too late for a reply. For $15, figured it was worth the risk. ;)

tv28t_7.jpg

Sure would rather have a couple connection adapters than yet another antenna and remote I won't use!

6. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, that's the one. It should come in a retail blister pack, or it's no Newsky. I've been there and done that before also... but not with NooElec. $14.90 is a good price. I pay $14 and I buy them 20 at a time. I notice the ad says, "Support w/ NooElec!". That's funny right there! I don't care who you are! :)

Connection adapters? Make your own! The crimpers can be a kick in the teeth though and you'll need them to do it right.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  7. K4AX

K4AX Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a small pile of the RTL dongles at this point, and have attached to my FT857d as a panadapter. The Noelec branded one sucks frankly, though I ran it a long time not knowing any better. The smaller square double sided PCB dongles seem to be the best from what I've seen, and hardly drift at all.

I also use one with DSD plus to decode DMR and P25 stuffs locally.

YMMV.

8. AE5DX

AE5DX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't have an up-converter yet. I hope to soon though.

I'm using a discone with very good results, receiving 2m repeaters that my station VHF rig/antenna can't hear, it's an old Radio Shack discone that I bought on clearance a few years back before I was even a ham. I'm using the Nooelec dongle and SDR#.

9. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Your's was one of the videos that helped me allot with HDSDR. I've always been more comfortable with the hardware end than the software end. I still learn something new about the software all the time. Somebody needs to make a SDR Software Tutorial for us dumb azzes. :)

10. K4AX

K4AX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, I have gotten a lot of emails over the video asking how I did the hardware side of things. I plan on doing another soon once I get one hooked up to my IC-7410, though that should be easy, it has easily accessed first IF jack inside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.