PC Won't Boot Up

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by G3YRO, Aug 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WQ6N

WQ6N XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use Acronis 2011 for WinXP image backup. Just did one last weekend. It is hard to find image tools that do not require a PAE cpu. The only reason I keep a WinXP Pro laptop alive is the 12vdc capability. The better answer is run a Virtual Machine on a current 64bit platform. You can search the internet for WinXP_Pro_SP3.iso file. It has all the patches and updates. Load it into VMWare Workstation application and you are good to go. Validate that the .iso has not been compromised hopefully it comes wth a md5 hash. ClamAV still provides free A/V for 32bit WinXP. Just a thought for consideration.

2. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry I never came back !

That WinXp PC had been working fine for weeks . . .

Then suddenly a couple of days ago when booting up it stayed on the Black screen with white text (like when you have had a mains failure, rather than shutting down properly).That screen was asking how to boot up, but only gave one option.

It then booted up OK . . . but was doing some WEIRD things ! Like when you used Windows Explorer, and highlighted a File name (to re-name it) a small horizontal bar opened and the cursor went whizzing off to the right !

Each time I tried re-booting I got the same black screen, and the same weird errors. (other errors when trying to use different software)

Eventually, I decided to use my genuine Windows XP installation disc, and using Repair Console told it to FixBoot.

And it did ! Since then, it's been behaving perfectly normally !

I actually have 4 PCs running WinXP, as I much prefer it as a platform, and all the software I use for my business runs properly on it. (these machines don't ever go online, and aren't networked, to avoid any issues)

I have a PC running Windows 7, I got that just to use on the Internet.

Roger G3YRO

KA9JLM likes this.
  3. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Clonezilla supports PAE and non-PAE CPUs, x86 or x86-64 processors.

I use it to image my 64-bit and 32-bit Linux OS partitions. I use NTFS data partitions, which I back up using other software rather than image, on all of my machines. Clonezilla also does Windows partitions, NTFS or FAT12 through FAT32, HFS+ of MacOS, VMWare, ChromeOS/ChromiumOS and other *NIX and BSD systems whether 32-bit or 64-bit. I Had to use it on an old Dell Dimension 2200 2003-vintage machine that runs Windows XP a few years ago. I was installing a larger hard drive than the one that originally contained Win XP. The Macrium Reflect that I use for my Windows 10 machines could not restore to a larger hard drive than the original. I believe that was a Windows XP restriction. No problem for Clonezilla Live, the bootable CD/DVD.

Ted, KX4OM

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    WQ6N likes this.
  4. GIMONTCHRISTOPHER

GIMONTCHRISTOPHER QRZ Member

Somthing like that,it is better to use a bootable media.

5. GIMONTCHRISTOPHER

GIMONTCHRISTOPHER QRZ Member

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

To the rescue...