Paypal wants more information than previously

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by WA3LKN, Apr 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Law by lowest common denominator = end all human life - because something might go wrong !

2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is an option to select which is the default method of payment.

KA9MOT likes this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

"I'll do this later" Has worked for me for over a year.

4. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I have been using PP since they started in 1998 and I have been a good customer for them. If they want that new info then I would ignore the request and if they did not like it they can cancel me. That is getting to be too much info in this world of scamming.
    John, WB0MPB

5. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You implied it came by e-mail. The phone number you called was it in the email? If so it's exactly what it looks like, an attempt to steal your identity. What they are asking for is at the heart of stealing your identity. Log into your paypal account and get the phone number for customer service from there. My experience with PayPal via email is informational from them to me only. They have never asked for information like what you have presented. Also the few times I have called I have never had a language barrier. That would be another red flag.
    Good Luck,
    Mike

6. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

We'll see what happens.

I notice that for the last few things I've purchased using paypal, paypal deducted the amounts from my checking account AND deducted it from my paypal balance. So I paid twice. When I called and spoke to their representative in who-knows-where, that person indicated that there would be a credit to my paypal account reflecting the debits from my checking account but it takes like 7-10 days. Seems like alot of money transferring around just to pay for something. And electronic transfers are instantaneous, not 7-10 days. Stay tuned.

7. WA3LKN

I know better than to click on a link in an email.

Since I sell things and receive payment from paypal, I'm in a different class of folks who just use paypal for buying.

Everything I've done is right on their site, showing my transactions going back months and the phone numbers from their website. I don't think it's spoofed. When I recently transferred a 3 figure sum from paypal to my checking account, it went through flawlessly. The call center bloke I spoke to looked up the contested charges I'd submitted with the documentation and it was all there.

I suspect paypal has gotten burned with fraudulent sellers in the recent past, and they're trying to be more careful about ID with sellers.

The business with charging my checking account for purchases AND paypal balance again I think they'll find is a screw-up on their part as they try to implement this new policy.

I'll give them a few more days. Stay tuned.

8. WA3LKN

OK. Here's the spiel, right from paypal's mouth:

If you sell items on paypal and somebody sends you payment, such as for a ham radio item you sell on QRZ.com, you then have a paypal balance but you can't use that balance to pay for anything you might buy on-line unless you provide them with your SS# and DOB. The only option you have is to transfer that money to your linked checking account. If you buy anything and want to pay using paypal, the only options you have are to use your checking account which gets deducted, or your credit card.

Your paypal summary lists the checking account deductions as paypal transactions but you don't actually pay twice.

And the call center person didn't have a good explanation as to why they wanted your SS# and then the last 4 digits of your SS# on the next entry. I assume it's a crappy IT department that can't figure out how to segment out the last 4 digits of a SS#.

-done-

9. KC2XU

KC2XU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

YMMV but in ten plus years of using PayPal I have never been asked for either my SSN or DOB.
    I would think the call center couldn’t explain the need for your SSN because they didn’t want to tell you.
    1) NEVER click a link on an email unless you’ve carefully checked the senders address ( ie look for,odd combinations like xyz.paypal.abc.com.). And even then.....
    2) go straight to their website... www.paypal.com and log in. If a legitimate company needs your data, their website will ask for it when you log on.
    Scam call centers are incredibly well trained at getting your info with all sorts of seemingly legit excuses.... ever got the ‘this is the IRS you must pay your balance today or.....’ call? From ‘Ann’ or ‘Robert’ with the Deshi accent?
    Sadly these people are experts at their craft.
    I’d bet my entire collection of beautifully burned out capacitors the OP’s email AND customer service center calls were scam attempts.
    dave

10. WA3LKN

OK. Thanks. The scam website had no problem allowing me to transfer my paypal balance (balance = $0 now) to my checking account and it was received A-OK.

Those scamsters are very, very well behaved!

And there haven't been any unaccounted charges I didn't know about. Those are very well mannered scamsters!

Dang!

And BTW, I always go right to the website directly, as noted previously.

I've never had the faux-IRA folks call me but there are some hilarious youtube videos of people dealing with them. I get the credit card refinancing folks with Pakistani accents all the tine. I tell them to hold on while I get my credit card to look up the number and then go run some errands or go to the gym while they're waiting.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    KA9MOT likes this.