Paypal wants more information than previously

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by WA3LKN, Apr 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

See jpg attachment.

I'm not sure I fully understand the circumstances, but for outgoing cash, I think, they want your SSN and DOB now.

I'm not sure I want them to have this info. If the DOD gets hacked, Paypal can get hacked.

I've confirmed with them this wasn't a phishing e-mail, but there was a language barrier between their employee in Timbuctu and this OM.

Anybody know more?

Paypal.jpg

2. WW1SS

WW1SS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Paypal is a pain. I really try not to use them. Recently sold headphones for $125 and they're holding my money. Sold a radio a few years back which was only a month old. Buyer had it for 3 weeks then filed a not as described complaint. PayPal gave him his money back and he kept radio.

My wife had an online business that was going for several years. One day she got an email saying they were freezing her account and could not access her $10,400 for 6 months. This is a common thing they do. Hold your money and make money off it. In one hand they say they have to follow banking regulations but when they hold your money they are not governed by the banking regulations and it is part of their TOS.

When they held her money they wanted DL, SS, invoices from distributors, proof of address, TIN, we supplied all that and it still was not enough.

I try to use Zelle or Google pay.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    KV4ATV likes this.
  3. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Your instincts are good. It is bogus.

K9ASE, KV4ATV and WB5THT like this.
  4. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the Conversation response. I assumed you had received an email asking for the info rather than seeing this screen after logging into your PayPal account. It would have been a phishing attempt had you received such an email but I wouldn't want to speculate otherwise.

5. WA3LKN

One other thing I've noticed they just started doing is deducting payment for items I've purchased on-line from my linked checking account despite the fact I have a paypal balance.

I'd be interested if others are getting the same behavior.

6. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

The additional info is now required if you want to maintain a balance, whereas before you could receive money and have it sit in your account. Now they want you to verify your identity before you can create a "balance account" to hold received money, if you don't do that you have to link to a bank account where the money can go. Those who choose not to do any of this (like myself, at least for now) won't be able to sell anything using Paypal since there won't be a place to put the money.
    If all you're doing is sending money you shouldn't have to do anything.

KA0HCP likes this.
  7. WA3LKN

That explains part of it. Thanks. Except I just sold a bunch of stuff on QRZ.com and QTH.com and people paid me successfully using paypal.

And I just transferred a 3 figure sum from paypal to my checking account and have a zero balance as of today.

As I see it, if you don't want to give them your DOB and SS# then you pay for on-line purchases using your credit card or checking account deductions.

And the fact that they want your SS# and then again in the next line ask for the last 4 digits of your SS# tells me they don't have their act together.

But what else is new?

KV4ATV likes this.
  8. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

PayPal sucks , about 1 1/2 yrs. ago , I bought a $42 battery charger from china , this was a highly favored choice of many .
    After receiving the charger , PayPal disallowed the payment [ WHAT ??? , I bought it , paid with PayPal , it was delivered ] - they did not send the seller money - now PayPal wants physical copies of 3 types of ID , birth certificate , SS card , the 3rd - I forgot what the 3rd was .
    The're email said new rules , something about me using a PO box [ full time RVer ] and shipments from china .
    I was not about to send them copies of any IDs , had been using the same PayPal acc. for maybe 10 yrs. + with only one change , 1 credit card number change [ same bank acc. ] .
    Now they have closed my acc.
    Screw em

KV4ATV likes this.
  9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps PP is being required to get some of this information by governments, in order to detect money laundering and illegal transfers?

KA0HCP likes this.
  10. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I use PayPal a lot. My experience has been that PayPal takes the money from where you tell them to take it.

PayPal has always been fair and square with me. I have nothing but good to say about PayPal.
    John
    K4AGO

KN4UFK and W5BIB like this.