ad: vanity

PayPal phishing scam

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KG5ILR, Oct 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KG5ILR

KG5ILR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I received an email from someone reportly being from PayPal saying my account was locked due to multiple attempts logging in.
    Wanted password to unlock my account typical scam. Just a word of warning.

KA2FIR and N3AB like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the heads up!

NO REPUTABLE SITE WILL EVER ask you to enter your password into an email "link box"

QRZ will NEVER EVER ask anyone to do that - and I'm sure Paypal as well.

Be careful out there - Phishing scams get more clever every year - teaming up with American partners who get a "cut of the profits" for crafting well-worded "American English" emails - not the "Dear Mr. Sir, David my Esteemed Greatest Friend" like a decade ago.

Dave
    W7UUU

NE1U and KA2FIR like this.
  3. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If I ever get an email from any company I do business with, I use already bookmarked links to visit the site and check on things. Or I call a known good phone number (like on the back of my credit card) to verify authenticity of the email. I never, ever visit the link of a companies email sent to me to get me to thier home page. Real companies do not provide it in an email for this very reason.
    Scammers gonna scam, haters gonna hate. I should write a song about this.... ;)

4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

You need to report / fwd it to Pay Pal scam.
    They will track down and take measures. I also BLOCK sender before trash canning.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The normal give away is a email address like support@paypal.zyx.com

The link does not go to the address displayed is another trick. Like the sample above.

And its not just Paypal, Could be your bank being spoofed.

6. W9JEF

W9JEF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's what I found (in the junk mail folder):
    PayPaI-Customer <cr7@t.pl>
    Fri 10/25/2019 12:51 PM
    You
    PayPal
    Dear CIient ,

We noticed some unusual activity

We have put your account in the list of Iimited accounts
    because your account is safe and we need a little bit to a few information to protect your account.

Click the button below and follow the steps simply Yours
    Sincerely.

:D :cool: :rolleyes:

7. W9JEF

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

9. W9JEF

That's the ticket. Just FWD the whole email, intact--no changes additions, or deletions.