PayPal fees at someone else's expense. Bad idea.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4RAV, Aug 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Ya guys gotta quit asking people to pay your PayPal fees when listing in swapmeet. They'll close your account down and tie up your money in a heartbeat if they catch you.

No offense intended. Just sayin'. Take it from someone who's experienced the hammer of eBay/PayPal.

"4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method."
    https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full

It's even against QRZ.com policy. See "g" here:
    http://forums.qrz.com/announcement.php?f=7&a=19

Just up-charge the difference as any other merchant would do.

2. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There have been a bunch of threads on this yet people keep doing it. I agree, it's stupid and I stop reading the second I see the "you pay the fees" crap. Just build it into the price.

3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't understand why people just can't jack the price up ten percent to cover fees.

People....
    Sheesh.......

4. W4RAV

10% might be a little high just for PayPal. Unless you donate some of that sale to QRZ.com, which I recommend. But on eBay, yeah, I've figured it about 10% off my sold-as price when using the pair.

But hey, I'd rather pay a few points than wait weeks to get/send something because someone insists on a check or money-order! If you don't take PayPal, you're cutting off a lot of buyers. It's not a perfect system, but it's the the most popular one we have.

f

5. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok so a 'what if'... Your ad states one price, pay pal included but you also take checks/MO's. Joe Buyer sees your $3000 radio and goes hmmm, that price includes a 4% paypal surcharge so I will offer him $3000 - 120 = 2780 via cashiers check. Seller accepts this. This situation also seems to me to violate the policies it's just less transparent. The only way I see to honor the policies is to accept paypal only. Thoughts?

6. W4RAV

Well, the 'zed says no multi-tier pricing. So I would stick with that. Same price, cash or credit.

Besides, you don't have the same protection (ideally) with paper as you would with PayPal. So the difference might be worth it to both the seller and buyer.

But, IMO, doesn't mean you can't be nice and "refund" a few bucks in a personal email to the buyer.

Me, I just refuse to accept anything but PayPal. Makes life easier. Which often costs a bit more.

7. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

Why not just build the fees into the sales price? Merchants do it all the time. Or just get over it? I've seen lots of ads with the seller looking to recoup fees in addition to the sale price / shipping fees and dislike the idea. IMHO PayPal is a pretty nice convenience to both seller and buyer if both are honest and weeds out some that aren't so honest.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  8. G4OTU

G4OTU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been selling on eBay since around 2002 . I have always made the Shipping& Handling price enough to cover the postage, packaging and eBay & Paypal fees ( estimated at what I think will be the sale price).Where eBay have started putting limits on the Post and packaging amounts I have just jacked up the start price to take this into account.

My philosophy has always been that I expect when I sell something , that 100% of my desired sale price will reach me - all expenses should be covered by the P&P(S&H) or by any jacked up addon to the sale price.
    I sell stuff in order to extract the absolute maximum from the buyer - I'm not doing it for fun or as a charity.

Works for me...over 10,000 times in 12 years.Zero problems.

9. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Over the past ten years or so I have several tens of thousands of "small" buying/selling transactions on auction sites, mostly on eBay, BidStart, and delcampe ( mostly buying and selling stamps ).

On eBay and BidStart, I don't remember anyone ever asking the buyer to cover PayPal fees. On delcampe it is ( or was ) very common for sellers to ask 3-4% for PayPal, and either nothing or 2% for Moneybookers/Skrill ( many delcampe sellers use bank transfers ( very common and cheap in Europe, not so in the US )). I had serious issues with Moneybookers/Skrill so I would not buy from anyone for whom that was the only payment option. And delcampe allows the buyer to limit search results based on payment methods.

If PayPal has changed its policy, and now prohibits surcharges, then I'm guessing they might pull out of Europe's delcampe market ( my impression is that in Europe delcampe is a much bigger marketplace than eBay ). Already many sellers there ( and possibly even a majority ) refuse to enable PayPal, at least in the philatelic section.

But I haven't been active on delcampe since I got back on the air, so maybe things have changed.

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

To me, the terms of service make zero sense.

I set up a "web store" for my company several months ago. Prices are monolithic to accept checks, credit cards or PayPal all at the same price. That's a ripoff for all those not using PayPal.

To deposit a check cost us nothing. Credit cards cost about 2%. PayPal costs about 4%. Obviously, we'd much prefer customers to use "anything but" PayPal, as we get the least amount of money from those sales when they do.

It would be more fair to customers to have a tiered pricing system which actually reflects what stuff is worth. We stand behind all the products exactly the same way, no matter how they pay. So, customers not using PayPal are paying more than they should.

I think it actually sucks.:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.