pay for log book?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and New Feature Requests' started by KI5T, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI5T

KI5T Ham Member QRZ Page

Why charge to use a log book when there are so many out there that are free?????

2. K2DSL

K2DSL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There is no charge to use the logbook. Anyone can use it. There are some features that you need to be a site subscriber to take advantage of.

3. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Support, updates, etc etc. Freeware just stop being supported at a moments notice. The ham market is so small, hams who charge still dont make a profit.

I still dont understand why someone would do freeware, unless they had some other income. Software engineering is just as tough as hardware, yet hams want software for free.

If you want free, go to Linux, it's an even smaller market. Windows coders have to work with a real commerically supported O/S and so the cost of doing business is higher.

4. KI5T

KI5T Ham Member QRZ Page

That goes for any software...not just freeware.

You can not tell me Fred is not making a profit of this. I am not saying that making a profit is bad or wrong, I am just saying that there are TONS of logging software for free that are way more complex and better. DXLabs is one of them.
    I know Fred is running QRZ as his sole income now and I hope he does well with it.

5. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Please remember that the QRZ log is completely different in concept than anything else out there.

It is NOT designed to be a full-featured Logging program. If you want a great free one, try Logger 32. If you want the best, and are willing to pay for it, get LOGic8.

What makes the QRZ log different is that it's interactive. Other logging programs are one-way -- you put data in. The QRZ log is the only one I know that offers confirmation of contact. It is, in effect, a two-way street.

Bill

6. NY2H

NY2H Ham Member QRZ Page

I felt sandbagged...

The other evening I posted about 45 qso's into the logbook. Tonight I was disappointed to learn that I could not see most of them without paying a subscription.

One of my qso's was actually confirmed, according to the count tally. I wondered which one, since it was not accessable to me. So I deleted the entries one by one until the confirmed qso came into view on the latest 10 qso list window, which non-subscribers are allowed to see.

So perhaps, being a software developer, I should write a script which will unload and reload the logbook, entry by entry, to hack into seeing all my entries. Or I could pay $30, or elect not to use the service.

I like the site on balance. It doesn't charge for call lookups, but wants to charge for qso data I give it. I guess one can always go to the fcc licensing database for call information, but for qso info I think the participants are the suppliers. Call me niave, but charging the supplier for what he is supplying doesn't sound like a viable business plan.

It would be nice to let hams know before hand that they cannot see what they themselves put in, before they spend time in repetitive onesy upload mode. I cannot imagine that a critical mass of users will be reached since that can only happen in one of two ways. Either enough hams are willing to pay the freight, or the ones who elect not to, will still be motivated to upload their qso's in a one at a time fashion. Frankly, I do not know what that motivation would be.

The site is already monetized by advertising. The free services bring in the eyeballs. It is the content. More eyeballs, more ad revenue.

I think this logbook fee thing is a mis-step in what otherwise is a greatly conceived and designed website. But I am no business genius and could be wrong.

Good luck Fred, I hope it works out for you.

7. KD8KSN

KD8KSN Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a paying member of QRZ (I got the $20 add-free QRZ subscription), and I still can not see my logbook data except for the most recent - why is that? I am a paying member.....

8. K2DSL

Are you just looking at your own QRZ page and the logbook tab or are you going to your logbook page at http://www.qrz.com/lb/KD8KSN ?

9. KD8KSN

KD8KSN Ham Member QRZ Page

Both. It says at the bottom, " Subscribe Now for access to your full-featured logbook including all contacts and details. " That does not make any sense because I am a subscriber....

10. K2DSL

And you are actively logged in? If so I guess you'll need someone (maybe just AA7BQ) to check it out once he is back from vacation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.