ad: elecraft

Pat Barkey, N9RV interviewed by Tim Duffy, K3LR at DX Engineering in Tallmadge, Ohio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8KSU, Nov 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K8KSU

K8KSU Ham Member QRZ Page

Pat, N9RV talks about his life long hobby in Amateur Radio starting at the age of 11. His college of choice was University of Michigan which had a great amateur radio station and influenced his decision to go there for his graduate degree and also earned his PhD there as well. Pat is a former Editor of the National Contest Journal. He is an active contest competitor from his home in Montana. Pat was also a competitor at the 2018 WRTC in Germany.

N9RV & K3LR.JPG

W8ZO and N3AWS like this.
  2. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I still have an AR-22 rotor and a roof tripod I bought from Pat at UM in 1973. I had not heard from him in some time; glad to hear he has done so well.

W8ZO likes this.
  3. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm gratetful to Pat N9RV (ex-WA8YVR) who took the time out of his busy schedules to elmer a newer ham.
    I was a relatively new general class ham when I met Pat as a student at Indiana Univ / K9IU in the mid-1980's.

He encouraged me to continue on the license upgrade path, learning 20WPM, getting my advanced and then extra, and getting into contesting.

In those days, Packet radio was the new thing on the block and Pat had a real impressive system of packet spots/packet cluster / bbs that kept my interests.

I would have probably dropped ham radio for other things, had it not been for Pat's encouragement and involvement (even as he was super busy...) to get on the air. It was on-air activity that kept me coming back for more.

thanks OM!

4. ZL2SCI

ZL2SCI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hullo really interesting short interview , getting started early always a good step ... Study in ham radio theory often leads to opportunities that are not imagined ....

ZL2SCI/G1XZL

5. KC0QG

KC0QG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tim. You are a great interviewer. Well prepared and don't make it about you. Nice Job!

6. K0JWQ

K0JWQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a quick QSO with N9RV on 20m just last week. Great vid! What a cool story! This is what being a Ham is all about!