ad: dxeng

Paper QSL's love them or hate them?

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by AC4BB, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
  1. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you love paper QSL cards? They can be expensive due to printing costs. postage and time consuming. they consume hundreds of thousands of trees . That cannot be good for the enviroment. But, if, you're against other methods they're perfect. They look good on the wall and are a great conversation pieces. "
    Hey, Look Bill, this is the QSL from the Bulgarian Civil war special event station I worked back in 72 on a hairpin at 5 feet." "WOW, cool 599 no less."

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Thousands of trees? Isn't this entirely a matter of personal preference? I play golf but not well and consequently prefer no trees. How many qsl card would that take?

3. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

Think of the number of cards purchased every year. That would run into the the tens of millions in card quanties.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But without trees, when there's lightning you're more likely to get hit.

5. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

I count on the trees when I golf. More times then not, they keep my ball in the fairway.

Toilet paper uses many trees. Perhaps we should not use that either?

6. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Most of the card stock is made from recycled paper. Now that IS good for the environment....

7. KA3JLW

KA3JLW Ham Member QRZ Page

I like em. It scratches my collecting itch without taking up much room.

Of course, collecting contacts in the log is also fun. But the paper QSL has the added bonus of always being a complete surprise when you open the mailbox. On the radio, only some of my contacts might be from a CQ and thus are a surprise - but all QSLs have that 'hey-cool' feature when they show up.

8. N8MSA

N8MSA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All of these QSL threads are about personal preference, but invariably turn into arguments about who's "right".

I'm just waiting for a "greener QSL" thread, where we all debate the environmental impact of cutting and processing trees against the carbon footprint of the eQSL and LoTW server farms. That would be epic...

9. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I like them all. Paper QSLs, eQSLs, LoTW, sharing screenshots of digital QSOs via Facebook and email, whatever. It's all fun.

10. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think they are great, right or wrong.:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.