ad: W5CIA-E

Paper QSL's love them or hate them?

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by AC4BB, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member

Do you love paper QSL cards? They can be expensive due to printing costs. postage and time consuming. they consume hundreds of thousands of trees . That cannot be good for the enviroment. But, if, you're against other methods they're perfect. They look good on the wall and are a great conversation pieces. "
    Hey, Look Bill, this is the QSL from the Bulgarian Civil war special event station I worked back in 72 on a hairpin at 5 feet." "WOW, cool 599 no less."

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member

Thousands of trees? Isn't this entirely a matter of personal preference? I play golf but not well and consequently prefer no trees. How many qsl card would that take?

3. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member

Think of the number of cards purchased every year. That would run into the the tens of millions in card quanties.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber

But without trees, when there's lightning you're more likely to get hit.

5. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member

I count on the trees when I golf. More times then not, they keep my ball in the fairway.

Toilet paper uses many trees. Perhaps we should not use that either?

6. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Platinum Subscriber

Most of the card stock is made from recycled paper. Now that IS good for the environment....

7. KA3JLW

KA3JLW Ham Member

I like em. It scratches my collecting itch without taking up much room.

Of course, collecting contacts in the log is also fun. But the paper QSL has the added bonus of always being a complete surprise when you open the mailbox. On the radio, only some of my contacts might be from a CQ and thus are a surprise - but all QSLs have that 'hey-cool' feature when they show up.

8. N8MSA

N8MSA Premium Subscriber

All of these QSL threads are about personal preference, but invariably turn into arguments about who's "right".

I'm just waiting for a "greener QSL" thread, where we all debate the environmental impact of cutting and processing trees against the carbon footprint of the eQSL and LoTW server farms. That would be epic...

9. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber

I like them all. Paper QSLs, eQSLs, LoTW, sharing screenshots of digital QSOs via Facebook and email, whatever. It's all fun.

10. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member

I think they are great, right or wrong.:eek:

11. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Staff Member

I tend to like paper QSLs less and less, mostly because of the time it takes to respond to them. I had about a hundred DX cards from the Bureau that I had never entered into my log, so finally got those all done the other day. I was even a good boy and uploaded a file covering all those to Global QSL to respond!!

After finishing what seemed like hours of painstaking paper work (wasn't that long, but sure seemed like it) I ventured to the mail box to find TWO MORE large envelopes of QSLs from the Bureau!! There is no God!!!!

12. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member

My guess is that you could gather up every single QSL card ever made in the entire history of ham radio and they would not provide enough paper for a single run of the LL Bean and similar catalogs. Just trying to keep things in perspective....

13. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator

Use more paper, please. We're in the tree business.

Sincerely,

Oregon

14. G4OTU

G4OTU Ham Member

Like W4PG I find myself liking paper QSLs less and less.

When first licenced (1980) I was very keen to collect them, but as I became involved in contesting, found that it was becoming a pointless exercise.

You would work a station of maybe 4 or 5 bands in a contest this week, same again next week.A few weeks later along comes an envelope from the buro with a card for each of those contacts....pointless.
    I was spending more time doing QSLs than I was doing QSOs.

Now I use eQSL and only reply to eQSLs received.If anyone is desperate for a hard copy card I'll send them one on receipt of a SASE...but that's as far as I go now.

15. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member

No, there is a God, and S/He has a wicked sense of humor.

I haven't seen a Bureau envelope in months. Possibly in over a year. And I love getting QSL cards... including those from my SWL days, I have cards dating back to the late 1960's. Quite a lot of unique history there.

16. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm also noting this more and more. The new batch of cards contains several more from the SAME station(s) that I just entered, for different contests. Is there really any point to getting a QSL from the same station for different QSOs on the same band, different day??

It seems like a serious waste of time AND money.

I'm likely going to develop a policy (at least when it comes to Bureau cards) that if I've sent you one via the bureau before, you ain't getting another unless it's a different band (I'll make that concession, but even that's a bit liberal I think!)

...............Bob

17. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber

I bet there is more PAPER used for IRS and State Tax forms than for QSLs!! and no one is complaining about that!

18. W7UUU

W7UUU Premium Subscriber

I like paper QSLs just fine. I have pretty much all of them since I got on the air in March 1975, including
    the very first QSL I ever received, on my second ever QSO (WA7IVO). They were all misplaced until about
    2 weeks ago!! Found them all in a box, and realized I never got my WAS - so I'm applying using cards
    that span a 37 YEAR period. If all I had were eQSLs, it would be a different story.

My only annoyance with them has been voiced - repeat cards. Especially I've noticed this from JA stations.
    If I work a contest on all bands, I'll get 3, 4, 5 QSLs all from the SAME GUY, one for each band or mode.
    So that aspect I'm not so fond of....

Dave
    WB7AWK

19. W9JEF

W9JEF Ham Member

Back in '54,when I first put WN9JEF on the air, I plastered 'em all over the wall of my walk-in closet hamshack (which also served as a darkroom). The postage was 2 cents. The only QSL's I didn't especially like were the Walter Ashe cheapie one-design-for-all cards. I still like getting them, except if they're too big or small, and they come postage due.

20. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member

When you open electronic qsl's don't they also appear on your screen? Isn't that the electronic version of paper QSL's in your mailbox?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.