ad: Flexradio-1

Over-the-air test: Yaesu MD100A8X vs Stock MH-31A

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KE0EYJ, Mar 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The MD100 is a good mic, for the money. The MD200 is overpriced, and doesn't sound as good, from what I've heard. It's purely a show-mic, from my limited experience of hearing them.

If you think $350 for the MD200 is bad, you haven't seen The $689 Yaesu M1. Now THAT is crazy, but if you think about it -- the EQ, dual condenser/dynamic mics, and everything are built right into it. Too rich for my blood, however:

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-015289

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  2. N4PAJ

N4PAJ Ham Member QRZ Page

There's another Yaesu hand-mic which uses a condensor element that provides much better (more neutral?) audio output. I think the model is MH-67A8J. It sounded great with the FT-450. HRO sells it for around $25 now; and you can also import it in from one of the Chinese auction-style sites. I think I paid $12 for mine. If you like hand-mics and don't prefer the desk mic form factor, the 67 is worth a look.

3. N4MRM

N4MRM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

yeah a little to rich for me looks nice however...but after all this is a hobby just so we can be heard with some comfort is all that matters to me, thanks Larry

4. KG5BJV

KG5BJV Ham Member QRZ Page

Ive only had two bad reports with my mha-31. My radio is the ft817nd so i dont have any equalizer settings. I did have one excellent report saying it had a good balance of highs and lows. You can adjust the ssb tx + or - herts on this radio. Ive heard how this mike sounds from a 857d and heard it from a ftdx1200 450d and think it sounds fine. Band conditions as well as how you talk into the mike make the difference from poor to excellent. I wouldnt spend $12 or $25 i could hear a slight improvement though but not worth paying extra money just adjust your settings.

5. KE0EYJ

That mic originally came with the 450. I believe they switched to give people the scan function buttons on the mic, but not sure.

6. KK4JI

KK4JI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

LMAO... Doing an on-air mic comparison with the built-in speaker of the radio into the room, narrowed up to 2400 Hz. That was one step away from useless.

7. KE0EYJ

Wow, someone pee'd in your Cheerios, today.

It was a COMPARISON of a DX signal, using the MH-31 hand mic vs. the MD100. I used a common DX bandwidth often chosen by a large percentage of hams, and one I have seen manufacturers suggest for DX use.

Your interests (eSSB) represent a tiny subsection of this hobby. If you wish to made a "better" video, then feel free to take the time to do it.

By the way:

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/transmitting-between-frequencies.230379/page-9#post-1818150

Seems you didn't get enough of the argument over your excessive bandwidth use, in this thread, and decided to spout your trash here.

Do us a favor... add to the hobby, or buzz off... LMAO.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    KI8CO and K4CK like this.