Our Amateur Radio Operator Military Veterans...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5BIB, Nov 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KM6CND

KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

My Dad was in the Coast Guard in WWII. He was on the hospital ship Relief in the Pacific. He never talked about what happened. His brother had the horrible task of going ashore and collecting the dead and body parts, he committed suicide a few years after the war ended. Years later I can see why. No matter what his duty on the ship was, dad saved many Allied lives, preparing chow, washing bed sheets and scrubs, or whatever. Dad was the oldest kid and had but an 8th grade education. I keep a Coast Guard hat on my head, hoping one day I may run into a ship mate before it's too late. One does not need a combat award to be a hero. Thanks dad.

N3AWS, WB0MPB, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  2. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

Why is that. Did the radio operators think they were better then you guys??

John, WB0MPB

3. WB0MPB

I just wanted to say thanks for all the things your dad and his brother did to fight on behalf of our country. People like them are so brave. I feel ashamed at times for never having served anywhere after school back in the 70's. I just went on with my life going to college and getting a job and not even thinking twice about serving. It is too late now so I have to just let it go. I bet it would have been a very good thing for me back then to have served. I would have grown up a lot faster.

I have 3 children right now in the Air Force. One is an officer. (The other 2 are great also even thought they are not officers.) It really grew them up. Especially my oldest. 37 seven years old and it took him from a college student flunk out with no focus to a college grad making more money than I ever did and I made good money back as a BioMed Engineer in the last part especially. I still remember my first job at U of Iowa hospital at $10,000.00 annual. I am not sure if that was good back then but I was happy with it.

So again thanks to your family for what you all had to go through together.

John, WB0MPB

NL7W, N3AWS and W5BIB like this.
  4. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Security".

5. WB0MPB

OK. That makes sense. Thanks for the answer.

John, WB0MPB

6. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

yep...They had NO "Need-to-Know".;)

Steve / W5BIB

7. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Likely due to compartmentalization. When I was in the USAF, even though I held the highest level security clearance that didn't give me the authority to go just anywhere inside our operations building. Compartmentalization meant only giving you classified information on a "need-to-know" basis. If it wasn't pertinent to your job you weren't privy to that information. It's a way to keep people from knowing too much, that is, keeping us from knowing more than we needed to know so we couldn't share (knowingly or unknowingly) everything that went on in the entire building. With classified information the fewer people who know it the better, and if someone doesn't need to know that information why give it to them?

NL7W, KF5RRF, W5BIB and 1 other person like this.
  8. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Might have been thought of as a security measure. I do know that when someone who outranked them told me to go up and help one of the radio techs, mostly to make sure he didn't electrocute himself and turn off power if he shorted out something, they did panic. The XO, Executive Officer, had to pointedly tell them to cut it out, more than once. I was much more closed mouth on things than many of them were.

9. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

US Navy - 20 years (1982-2002)

Ships served on:
    CVN-70 (USS Carl Vinson): 1984-1989 & 1995-1998
    CGN-25 (USS Bainbridge): 1992-1995 (decom)

DX Calls Held/Operated: VK6ADD (Western Australia) (1985,1987), VK7ADD (Tasmania)(1997), VQ9ML (Chagos Archipelago / Diego Garcia)(1987), and WB3GOK/VS6 (Hong Kong)(1987)

10. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

Does that mean "Nuke"?