ad: M2Ant-1

Opinions on Vertical Antennas?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WC3T, Oct 2, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WC3T

WC3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Okay, I've gotten my act together on the dipole and what I'm doing, and now I'm trying to research a companion vertical antenna. Hey, you can't have too many radios nor too many antennas, but I have to be circumspect.

I have been browsing through some verticals that gave me sticker shock but found two that might fit the bill; the Hustler 5BTV and an MFJ-2386.

What caught my eye about the MFJ is the manufacturer's hype; "Broadband vertical antenna with no ground radials is super easy to assemble. No tuning!"

Hmm.

I smell something. And it's not from the breadmaker that is baking a loaf of bread. How can you have a vertical with no radials? Unless it's a vertical dipole? And I can't find any info or reviews on this antenna. Has anyone used it?

2. KI8DJ

KI8DJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Its a clone of the comet cha 250 b.It will work on all the frequencies but with considerable loss.I had a version of it sold by Jetstream. You can make contacts but it is usually down a couple of s units from a dipole and pretty useless on 80 meters. This antenna has an unun at the feeedpoint which has a lot of loss and the feedline acts as the counterpoise

3. WC3T

WC3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, I think if I'm going to all that trouble I might as well do the thing right. Thanks.

4. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Look up the ads on the old Gotham verticals of the 50-60's, same BS and same performance!

Carl

NH7RO likes this.
  6. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

One way to have an effective multi-band vertically polarized antenna without radials, is to use an "inverted V" doublet fed with open wire feed line to a balun. A G5RV is a good example. It will need a choke or balun to couple the feedline to coax. If used on something other than harmonics of the lowest band it is designed for, it will need a simple tuner to achieve a very low VSWR at most MF/HF frequencies. When configured as an Inverted-V it will have very similar characteristics to a quarter-wave vertical with radials.

7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

And seriously compromised by its proximity to ground.

Are you saying this is simply a vertical with a top hat>

8. WN4HOG

WN4HOG Ham Member QRZ Page

"And seriously compromised by its proximity to ground."

I have a couple of vertical dipoles as well as one on 20 that I added three more 'radials' running out at 45 degrees. I can't tell you how well they've been working for DX ! Must be the low angle of take-off.

9. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Mine seems to work well, I get more DX with it, than any dipole I have had up... No doubt raising it will make it better, but that is pretty much true for any dipole, up to a point.

No... I am saying it is an actual dipole that is vertically oriented, and center fed.

10. N5CEY

N5CEY Ham Member QRZ Page

A 6btv will give you 6 band coverage for just a little more. Don't believe the "no tune" hype - you have to adjust the lengths of tubing for each band, best done with an analyzer and a tilt over base. I've been happy with mine, worked lots of dx but you MUST have radials with it for good performance.

WA7DXZ and W4IOA like this.