Opinions of the Ten Tec Triton I

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB2WIK, Feb 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a Triton I when it was brand-new. Gosh, that was a very long time ago. 1974-75 timeframe, I believe.

It doesn't run 100W output like the later Tritons, it only runs 50W PEP out. It is essentially identical to an Argonaut 505 except with a 50W power amplifier (and heatsink for same) added to it; otherwise, it is truly an Argonaut.

In all, an unimpressive rig. Downfalls:

-Silly dial cord string mechanism subject to failure or breakage, and not easily repaired;

-Too much audio hiss -- they cured this in later Triton models like the Triton IV, but the Triton I was very "hissy." If you turn down the RF gain and turn up the AF gain, the hiss will blow out your ears, when using headphones.

-The RIT control is never fully "off." Even when it's turned "off," it's not. It's always slightly in the circuit, so bumping the knob, even when the RIT is in the "off" position, will create an offset.

-The T/R switching uses a reed relay, it's not fully electronic. So, although the reed relay is very fast and the rig can run "QSK," it's not a real smooth QSK like later Ten Tec rigs offer.

-Mechanically, not strong. Used the original (old fashioned) Ten Tec Plastic Case, with snap-together pieces and a fabricated metal cover that is covered by something like kitchen drawer liner material (adhesive film), and it won't take much abuse.

But, on the "plus" side, it's cute and does work...and probably becoming a collector's piece by now, because I'm quite sure it's >25 years old.

73 de Steve, WB2WIK/6

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.