ad: mars-1

Opinions are like, Well, a box of chocolate...Got 'Cha!

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by K4RKY, Jan 29, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-assoc
  1. K4RKY

K4RKY Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I never know where to post any more so I'll place it here. I am soon to be the proud owner of a new rig. I can't afford the big boy radios so I am looking at the Yaesu FTDX-1200 and the FTDX-3000. Keep in mind I will be getting out of an old Kenwood TS-140, like selling my Volkswagen and buying a Porsche! I have a hard time justifying the 600-800 dollar difference between the two so y'all help a guy out and let me see if I can make sense of your replies. :) I just don't see any significant difference between them. What do you folks think?
    I'm told the Kenwood receive is weak (the TS-590SG) No experience with it just what I read and hear. Thanks.

2. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't tell you which radio to buy or rather, I won't tell you which radio to buy. I don't know anything about your financial situation. Its none of my business and to be quite honest, I don't really care. I can justify the price difference between the two, but how does that help you since I am not the one spending the money?

3. KR6AUL

KR6AUL Ham Member QRZ Page

Help the economy. Spend spend SPEND. Buy both ;)

K4RKY likes this.
  4. K4RKY

As a married man once said.....NOT A CHANCE! Not to mention, I already give 'til it hurts! :)
    It's not a personal finance issue although I could imagine my XYL's face if she ever saw the receipt to a TS-990 or a FTDX-9000D sitting on my desk (can you say suicide in motion)? :eek:. I like both radios, the 1200 and the 3000), I just don't see what makes one a better choice over the other as I am not a contester just enjoy my rag time and occasional contacts. It's a frugal guy pinching pennies for more underlying fun things.
    Curiosity may not kill me but it'll sure give me a headache.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What's an "Opion"? :rolleyes:

First rule of Forum Posting: SPELL CHECK THE SUBJECT LINE

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

KG5EXW, N7ANN, K4RKY and 1 other person like this.
  6. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The USB port on the 3000 is very nice if you are going to do digital modes. The 1200 does not have one and would require an external modem for digital modes. Thats 100 bucks right there.

7. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

"I'm told the Kenwood receive is weak (the TS-590SG) No experience with it just what I read and hear. Thanks"

New one on me! The Kenwood is a superb rig. Yaesu 1200 doesn't even compare; 3000 might.

WA4BCS and K4RKY like this.
  8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I did a two day side by side comparison of the two units. I was looking for the best receiving audio I could afford. Like you I wondered whether or not the 3000 was worth the extra money. I was upgrading from a Yaesu FT450.....yep the 1200 beat the 450 by a long shot. However, the 3000 beat the 1200 by quite a bit also. I opted for the 3000 because I was afraid I would be back in a year to upgrade a 1200.
    Like others have said...the decision is yours and should be based on your disposable income and how much time you will spend in front of the rig.
    Being able to afford a more expensive rig won't justify the 3000 over the 1200 if you are a casual operator. But again...thats my opinion.

K4RKY likes this.
  9. K4RKY

An "OPION" instead of "Opinion" is what a fat fingered fella' types when he's not paying attention! :) I never noticed it until you mentioned it! LOL So much for proof reading. :D

10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Two better than an Onion ?