ad: MLSons-1

Opinion: The ARRL By-laws Need Changin’

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N9UTJ

N9UTJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The only thing I see of the ARRL is the sanctioning of letting the contestors bully in right next or even coming on frequency the t you or others are using with no regard and this seems the way it is taught to the next generation OF "This is how you do it" but that's ok right ?
    And nothing evr will be done to remedy this . same as it ever was,,same as it ever was,,,same as it ever was ....................................on and on

KQ6XA likes this.
  2. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

All I can do is paraphrase HPM himself when he said the League was to benefit all members equally and not for the benefit any one member or group. It's business was to be open to all members.

In both cases the ARRL has violated these basic directions from the old man himself. We can argue particular examples but of this fact there is no disputing. As such they should all resign immediately.

KQ6XA and NK2U like this.
  3. N7KFD

N7KFD Ham Member QRZ Page

Please don't cancel your subscription over recent events, that's the exact opposite stance to take. Basically, running away from the problem isn't going to fix it. I've been an ARRL member for many years and have never voted in an election. That changes this year. These people were voted in and they can be voted out, WE have the power to fix the situation but it's not going to happen overnight. We'll have to be patient and correct the situation the next time elections come around. Oh, one more thing. Contestors are not the cause of global warming.

N9UTJ, KK5R and KG5THG like this.
  4. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

As an "overseas view" already has been expressed, I would like to add my own.

All over the world, organised amateur radio is run by control-freaks that want maximum control over the
    largest possible organisation. Such small obstacles such as by-laws, Annual General Meetings or similar
    never seem to hinder them.

This is aided by the general apathy among radio amateurs regarding society matters, where the general population
    does not show any interest in how the society actually is run by the Board.
    As long as they get their QSL:s and the society journal in time.

If the Board is ignoring or breaking the by-laws is of no interest to at least 80 or 90 % of the members.
    Many societies are also run by a small clique of one or two "strong-men" that circumvent the other Board members, that often feel relieved by not having to engage in day-to-day matters.
    They do not answer e-mails from members as an example.

In general, there has started to show quite distressing trends of considering a society as a corporation, where cash-flow and loyalties
    have gotten the highest priorities.
    Many sociteties have become more and more secretive about their intents in relation to the membership, and sometimes express it like this: "We do not need to communicate with you during our term. You have your chance at the AGM"
    (actually expressed by an SSA official quite recently). The problem is only that the AGM is a staged show where critical
    voices are silenced.

Another problem with organised amateur radio has become the focus on loyalty, not only of Board members or officials,
    but of the membership in general. In recent years there has been proposals for introducing "loyalty clauses" in the terms of membership, that intended to silence criticism by the threat of expulsion.

This would completely alter the balance of power between the membership and the Board.

The bottom line is that people with a critical view of for example the future of amateur radio are voting with their feet, as
    do young people in general. Such behaviour is simply unacceptable for those that have grown up with transparency and accountability.

I give organised amateur radio, at least in Europe, about 10 more years, and amateur radio in general 20 years. The age distribution will take care of this.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

VK4TI and K0IDT like this.
  5. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

6. W2AI

This all started back in 1963 when the ARRL first proposed the concept of incentive licensing. Their big mistake was that they did not poll the membership on it.

AA1PR likes this.
  7. W2AI

I wonder what Wayne Green (SK) W2NSD/1 K1FYP was alive and still in the publishing business today what he would have to say about all of this??

8. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

**************************************************************************************************************************
    BUT MAYBE WE DXers ARE!!! :)

9. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wayne would have had a FIT & TURNED RED & BLUE, HAVE A GREAT RANT & THEN WOULD'VE DIED OF A CORONARY!!! :)

10. VK4TI

VK4TI Guest

"W2AI, post: 4524242, member: 144512"]I wonder what Wayne Green (SK) W2NSD/1 K1FYP was alive and still in the publishing business today what he would have to say about all of this?"

Im sure it would be long well written and scathing in the extreme

KK5R likes this.
  11. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a claim that the board cited a conflict of interest for removing a candidate from the ballot days before the election, leaving another candidate running unopposed. The board never stated what the nature of the conflict was. The statement was made on a Ham Radio Now podcast, but that's all the info I have.

12. N2SUB

And another:

"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Benjamin Franklin

13. N2SUB

A few of them might be sitting on the steering committee for myarrlvoice.org. ;)

https://www.myarrlvoice.org/about-us/steering-committee/

14. KI4P

KI4P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i agree, and keep dues at an affordable rate for the working man!

15. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wayne would have written anything that sold more magazines!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.