ad: ProAudio-1

Opinion: The ARRL By-laws Need Changin’

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

...or even worse, bad ideas might actually wither sooner because everybody knows they are on the record for the ideas they float and/or support.

ND6M likes this.
  2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Depends on the actual meaning of "closed".

When I conduct Executive board meetings of my Non-Profit, ANY member in good standing can attend and LISTEN.

It's up to me and my gavel if I want to allow them to actually speak on an issue.

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, no it isn't.

Its defined by the rules of order and bylaws. Thus it depends on the organization. ARRL has closed board meetings. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing unusual with that.

The 'problem' is some apparent fraction of the board itself, not the established processes. Gathering feedback from the membership is an established process for the ARRL. The problem is the CEO, at least, expressed concern that such info was 'leaked', when in fact it should have been public to start with.

It always should.

Chip W1YW

KA0HCP likes this.
  4. N0IRS

N0IRS Ham Member QRZ Page

Best written response to the issue I have seen so far. Objective, not finger pointing and throws all the BS out the window. Yes, protect out hobby. And that's what we expect them to do with our support.

5. N0IRS

N0IRS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Chip for clarifying that!

6. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

I've noticed three interesting comments about open meetings. To summarize, a) board members would become politicians in front of the cameras, b) the presence of the public would be "too distracting", and c) nobody want's to see the sausage being made. There may be others...

Sure, I can see that if a large room were rented and 1000 members showed up to a meeting that it would be detrimental to getting work done. There would be shouting, applause, boos, and other interruptions that could usurp the entire meeting. When those 1000 members are viewing remotely, however, from the comfort of their homes, there can be no shouting, no interruptions, just observation. Will some officers take the opportunity to grandstand? You bet they will. It's human nature to be passionate, and humans feed of each other's passions. Would the cameras turn the board members into politicians? Nope, they were already politicians before they got there. They were _elected_ after all, after having campaigned for office. And while we're on campaigning, we should seriously consider term limits. In a group of more than 700,000 potential leaders, we should have plenty of qualified individuals to choose from.

And then, the notion about the sausage making process being, um-mm, unsavory. Well, I think that we've all seen the fruits of what closed door meetings deliver. When the sausage making process is obscured or done in secret, the constituency only finds out about their decisions after the fact. If the constituency doesn't agree with the board then the only remedy is the next election cycle. By then, however, money will already have been spent, policies will already have been enacted, and damage will already have been done. Good luck ever reversing them. Let's face it, the feedback loop is painfully long and ineffective. After all, once someone has championed a policy, they will fight to preserve it if only for their own personal gratification.

We should also stop to consider what exactly goes into the sausage and why. We're all grown-ups and we can take the cold hard truth, even if its ugly. What we're talking about here are board decisions that could be colored by individual preferences, give-and-take negotiations, or other back room deals that make sense only if you're in on them. A completely fictional example could be made regarding where division conventions are held. Some board members might prefer a particular city but, the right to choose next year's location went to yet another board member as a part of an earlier handshake deal. Think of phrases like "you got to pick last time so its my turn now". That's what's meant by sausage making. It's the realization of truths that people don't want to air publicly because they would fail to stand in the open light of day. Let's face it, its easier to get things done when wheels are greased, and exactly how that grease is applied must remain a secret in order for it to succeed.

NK2U and KD0CAC like this.
  7. VK3VM

VK3VM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All I can say is look at what has happened overseas...

RSGB... WIA...

Some the of the "Cigar smokers", "Born-to-rule types" and dictators that have the attitude of entitlement need heed the voices of their constituents. They are NOT there for their own gain and resumes - they are there for the people. Likewise the regulations of any organisation should not promulgate these concepts. Any regulayions should promote ideas and change - dynamicity, excitement and hence growth.

Amateur Radio is FOR people and ABOUT people in a TECHNICAL, REGULATED activity .

People come first - and not the technical or the regulations.

Boards that regulate people are different - yes in the corporate world there is a desire to have what is termed "rubber-stamp" boards where the President and/or CEO's get basically everything rubber-stamped. Yet this attitude itself should also come under challenge - as this attitude leads to static corporations that tend to head backwards. The best example of this is Apple - a company that had basically board members warring with each other yet as a result produced some of the most dynamic products and concepts that the world has seen.

People-representative boards should not be stacked with "likes" and "mates" - but should have a diverse background of representative elements.

It looks like these proposals at emoving the great ARRL along this pathway towards representation - PEOPLE CENTRIC REPRESENTATION.

I take off my hat to these ideas.

Steve I
    VK3VM / VK3SIR

N2SUB likes this.
  8. K1MGY

K1MGY Ham Member QRZ Page

Some talented attorney who understands not-for-profit regulations might have a field day, picking the "league" apart, and I'd be all for it.

It looks, smells and acts like a corrupt mess. I think it will take a lot of sunshine to disinfect it.

KQ6XA and NK2U like this.
  9. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

What Fred has written makes sense. It covers points that would/should interest most hams active in the hobby. I do have a couple of observations, though, and they are mostly unrelated directly with what Fred has said here.

I tend to see the role of the ARRL as that of a voice/spokesperson for the majority of hams and as a model for the leadership of all hams worldwide. There may also be times when the ARRL's vision may not be readily apparent to the ham community and when this happens, it would be good if the ARRL were quick and ready to voice the strategy and/or philosophy for those decisions and views and thus get more hams behind the organization which is, in reality, our organization.

No details need to be given here for my views because I believe most hams have the insight to see beyond mere words and have in them ham radio views , concepts and traditions that go beyond words. Some, like Fred, have the ability to outline and explain their views with clarity and this tends to solidify views and philosophies and allow for expansion into other areas of the hobby.

The key for change is to cause the desire for changes to be widespread and, if possible, universal to the point where the desire cannot be ignored. To accomplish this, there is of course the printed word as we see here but I suggest this as also a good topic to discuss on the jaw-breaker nets alone but it should actually find interested hams in all venues. And because it is working in a positive direction, there should be little or no resistance to discussions about improving the hobby whether from the bottom up or from the top down.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    NK2U likes this.
  10. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

In a word, there is a solution that would avoid the "shouting, applause, boos, and other interruptions" and that is Streaming... This may have been your suggestion about "viewing remotely, however, from the comfort of their homes." This could actually be done by the ARRL and touted as a benefit to the members.

People who care would be informed and, if the meeting members did not know it, they would soon be made aware of the fact that their actions were no longer in the dark but in the cloud. And as another commenter said, it would fill the need to have something similar to CNN.

Streaming the meetings "should" take a lot of the politics out of it but observation proves that most politicians really don't care because they often have the philosophy that "later news" overshadows the foregoing.

NK2U likes this.
  11. WD8KND

WD8KND XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If I may steal a quote from the 60's, "Right On!"

NK2U likes this.
  12. WJ4Z

WJ4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I am writing this reluctantly. I am no longer a member of ARRL. I made the decision when the SE Director was disqualified for re-election. I'm not sure I would have voted for him but to not be allowed to make my vote heard was unacceptable. I also find it interesting that there are more hams in the "4" call area than any other. It always appeared to me that their representation was considerably less than the numbers would suggest. My $5- annual membership fee will go elsewhere though I watch the "dance" with some detached interest/ I don't think the ARRL: speaks for Hams any longer.
    Dana
    WJ4Z

KQ6XA, NK2U and NN6EE like this.
  13. K2CBI

K2CBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree as well, Fred. Operating in the "dark" does not sit well with me.

Mike

NK2U, KK5JY and NN6EE like this.
  14. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ANYTIME THERE'S "SECRET MEETINGS" BY OUR SO-CALED LEADERS THAT IN & OF ITSELF IS BAD NEWS!!! Whatever happened to the notion of "FREEDOM OF INFORMATION"??? Many DESPOTS HAVE USED THAT TACTIC (SECRET MEETINGS)!!! It never bodes well for their CITIZENS/MEMBERS!!! Especially like our national organization (ARRL) who in the heck do they THINK THEY ARE??? We MEMBERS FUND THAT ORGANIZATION AND "NO" SECRETS SHOULD BE KEPT FROM US (PERIOD!!!).

KQ6XA and NK2U like this.
  15. AK9S

AK9S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very disgusted and troubled with it all...

Charitable donations from my AmazonSmile Prime purchases changed from ARRL to Best Friends Animal Society (worth $80 to $100 per year.)

Once my 3-year Membership to the League runs out, will re-evaluate whether the lighter QST magazine and heavier handed BoD are worth supporting. The only organization which continually impresses and has improved my overall satisfaction in Ham Radio has consistently been QRZ.

NN6EE, NK2U and KK5JY like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.