ad: dxeng

Operation Canceled Warning

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K5RCD, Apr 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-Geochron
  1. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm using Windows 7, and Microsoft Outlook.

Beginning recently, when I try to click on a hyperlink which is in an incoming e-mail, I get the following warning.
    This only started happening recently and I assume I've set something wrong in one of the setup menus.
    I am the Administrator, and have my security settings set at medium high, lowering that doesn't help.
    Where do I need to go, and what needs to be changed ?
    Capture microsoft.JPG
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like the hyperlink is not liked by outlook security.

You can change your outlook Privacy settings for it to work. Check Tools/Trust Center Settings, If you really want to change your settings.

You can also copy and paste the links if you really want to go there, without changing your security settings.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I just love those instructions to check with the admin whe he is us.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess that means you should know what to do ?

It should say;

"Please contact yourself if you are experiencing problems with this software"
    "Would you like to send a Error report to yourself ?"
  5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I would only contact myself if I were really desperate. My advise is not very good.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  6. KK4AMP

KK4AMP Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, I could just see Microsoft re-animating Clippy for just such a task.

Die, Clippy, die!

Anyway, back to the subject. Putting on the net admin hat for a second, is the email and link from someone that you know and would expect an attachment or URL link from? It could be something your system is legitimately protecting you from. If you're uncertain, it never hurts to write 'em back and ask "Hey, my email didn't like that last email you sent with the attachment, was that really you?"

Hackers are unfortunately now smart enough to utilize social engineering to make you think you're getting something from a friend and whammo! Your PC now has cooties.

Apologies if you knew all this already, but I thought it worth mentioning.
  7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good advice.
    As an experiment have someone you know send you a link to this site or a known clean site, see what happens. If you get the same message you could have one of your security settings set too high.

I think you will find what you are looking for in the Trust Center settings.
    the very last item in the options menu.
  8. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

OK. Thanks to all.

I tracked down the problem. Here is the answer in case you ever encounter it.

A few days ago, my XYL got tricked into switching to Google Chrome as default browser.

I found that out, and uninstalled it and switched back to IE 9.

However, I found out the uninstall left traces of Chrome hidden in my PC, causing the problem

I went here and downloaded the "file" under "file Registry Error Part 2". Naturally, I created a restore point before downloading it.

Everything seems back to normal now.
  9. KA5LQJ

KA5LQJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yet another good reason to run Linux, to keep other people's fingers OFF my keyboard, LOL! We don't NEED no stinking IE or CHROME.
  10. KA7O

KA7O Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.