ad: KF7PMW-1

Operating AM on 20 Meters

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by KC8YLT, Mar 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KM1H

KM1H Subscriber QRZ Page

No, that is a secondary benefit of that tube...and often the NCL-2000 bandswitch joins it in the parts bin. That tube doesnt need any outside help to self destruct.
    Surprisingly since I ran that amp from 1964 to 86 quite heavy in contests, DX chasing and ragchews but I dont remember screwing up the antenna switch but anything was possible. It now loafs at light duty with the 100V on AM and SSB, and 75A4 that Ive had since 65.

You can also clip the screen pins and use it as a dummy when running one tube or making extended SA tests.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

I used one for a couple years in 2004/5 almost entirely on AM. It came with a pile of used 8122s.

Some of those would do things like short between elements only when heated.

The amp had plenty of hours. The paint was green instead of the original color. I did have to change the band switch and was lucky to have one.

The RCA branded ones with white ceramic were mostly dead while the Burle branded ones with pink ceramic were all OK. Not sure if that means anything

The SK they came from saved every dud tube he ever changed.

I sold the amp to a KP4 and landed up having to pack it twice because it came in two pounds over the USPS limit.

Great amp especially because it was almost as old as I am.

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

But chances are, at least a couple of those other guys to the south or west won't hear each other.

4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm glad there's AM activity on the high bands. I've tried it on 20 and 10 and concluded it wasn't for me. There are times when a beam comes in handy which I don't have, but mostly, the style of operating up there somehow seems to discourage QSOs that last more than 20 minutes. I got on 20 m. once several years ago with Jack K9ACT and we could hear each other, but then some guy way out west broke in, only one of us could hear him, can't remember if it was me or Jack, but one of us had to relay everything to the guy who had no copy on the breaker. After a couple of experiences like that I went back to the low bands.

AF6LJ likes this.
  5. N5DMC

N5DMC Ham Member QRZ Page

I snagged 5 stations the other day. 14.335. Ended up getting kicked off by a pre net that did say that I sounded great! Around 4pm here local time (CST) just before dinner time seems to be the sweet spot. When calling CQ, be sure to use the term "AM" as much as you say your callsign as some respond in SSB mode.

Yes, attempting a net may be not so productive for all, but what the heck, those that are successful are the lucky ones. Just as often I hear QSOs that are under way on the same frequency, I hear everything, and yet they can't hear each other. Heck, it's 20m. No surprises here. Except with the Viking Valiant, she does real well, too well. Sometimes returning home to 80m with a coupling cap or something shaken loose, sort of say! Has a bunch of output on that band. The old hot rod taken out to the dry lake bed as it were, Hi!

Best regards & hope to hear you on 20m am SOON. Good luck Sue with that screem modulated AM project. I'd hear it on 20m right? Can't wait.
    Doug
    N5DMC

6. KM1H

KM1H Subscriber QRZ Page

No pain no gain Don. 20M is often hard to maintain propagation even with 2 playing. I mentioned earlier that dipoles and verticals are preferred to cover several areas and when the skip is short the coverage here runs from about SC in a curve up to Canada and everything within that general outer area can often play. In close gets iffy at about half the distance.
    When skip lengthens it breaks up into smaller areas and all I may hear is SoCal or the PNW. Ive been hollered at a few times on email by guys I cant copy even when Im running just 100W, if the amp was on I could understand it.

I also have a yagi, dipole and vertical available and one switch is all it takes.

I could also feed them all:D. On 160 I often feed V, H, and both. At times the difference is remarkable.

KC8YLT likes this.
  7. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd say the 14335 frequency is a better choice for AM activity than 14286. It seems less congested up there near the top end. Whenever I have listened, there was always a lot of slopbucket QRM on 14286.

When you are in a one-on-one QSO and the propagation goes out, you can just call another CQ on frequency and snag whoever else comes back. In roundtables, you are pretty much obligated to stand by and listen to noise while the inaudible station is transmitting. That's a good reason to keep transmissions short in 20m, 15m and 10m roundtables.

KC8YLT likes this.
  8. KD2BRM

KD2BRM Ham Member QRZ Page

You're right about the Slopbucket activity on or about the .286 vicinity. I'm sure no one respects the AM call frequency because of the lack of AM activity on it (although the same seems to happen on 75m & 40m, even though there is consistent AM activity there). I was thinking of calling CQ yesterday 3/22, but couldn't really find a spot between 286 & 350 that I wouldn't be impeding on. I guess I'm just going to have to start calling, and see who attempts to come to AM and chase me away etc.

If time allows today (3/23) I'll load up Big Al (AL-1500), and call CQ. It's 11am est time now. Figure I'll try and get on between now & 2:30 est.

9. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm listening for you but I'm pretty close. Don't know if I can hear you... but I'll try!

10. KD2BRM

KD2BRM Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't set up yet lol. Give me a few. do you do 2m fm? maybe i can pick it up with you there.