Opening disc problems

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K9STH, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
  1. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 2 discs which were burned using Windows-7 that were opening fine. Then, both discs refuse to be opened on 2 different computers (both using Windows-7). Both discs show that they have data on them but neither one will show any files. They were burned and ejected properly and both worked fine. Then, additional data was added and, again, both were ejected using the proper protocol. Now, neither disc will open!

These discs were burned with the protocol of being like a flash drive.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get these discs to open?

Glen, K9STH
  2. K9STH

Problem defused!

Since I still had the information on one computer, I burned new discs. This time I burned a set using the "flash drive" properties and another set as "permanent". Both sets work fine. So, burned additional sets, using both protocols, as "backup".

The blank DVDs, both the faulty discs and the new "good" discs, were from the same batch of Phillips DVD-R. Frankly, I don't have any idea as to what caused the failure of the first set.

Glen, K9STH
  3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The bad disks. are not scratched on ether side?
    Were they by chance left some place where direct sunlight could strike them?
  4. K9STH

Neither disc has any physical problems and both were laying beside the computer out in my main radio shack.

I did try both in my "backup" computer (which also has Windows-7) and at least on that computer an error message that both discs were "damaged" appeared. The newer computers, one with Windows-7 32-bit and the other with Windows-7 64-bit, come up with a screen to "burn" files. The oldest computer also has Windows-7 32-bit. I do have a computer that is not hooked to anything, that has Windows Vista but did not try to use it.

Both discs were burned using the Windows-7 32-bit computer at my main operating position.

Glen, K9STH
  5. AF6LJ

That is indeed a bit strange.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It could be that they need to be finalized.

If they were made so you could add more data, normally they only work on the original drive they were Created on until you close / finalized them (Write the TOC). Depends on the software used to create them.

The Data is probably there. Just hiding from you.
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  7. AF6LJ

That is a very good point; I usually save up enough data to fill a disk, but when I don't I I make sure the disk has the root directory written and is closed.
  8. K9STH

Both discs went through the "finalization" procedure which happens when the "eject" is "clicked upon". I tried putting both back in the drive seeing if this was the problem. However, the only thing that happens is that the screen for adding more files comes up. I tried adding another file and then the computer wants to reformat the disk.

As such, since I still had all of the data on the computer I just burned some new discs. However, as each disc was finalized, I removed it from the drive and then reinserted it in the drive to see if it will open properly. That worked fine.

To avoid losing the data again, I burned the data to discs both formatted as a "flash" drive and formatted as a "permanent" record.

Glen, K9STH
  9. KA1MDA

KA1MDA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm confused. I thought you said in your original post that you added more data to the disks at a later time. If the disks were really finalized (or closed), it would have been impossible to add any more data to them.

Tom, KA1MDA
  10. KA9JLM

Very True.
  11. K9STH

In Windows-7 you can choose to "burn" a disc using them as a "flash" memory device. When the burn is complete, there is an "eject" function which, when "clicked", "prepares the disc for use on any computer". It takes about 15-seconds for this process and then the drive opens and the disc can be removed. At this point, it is possible to use the disc on another computer.

To add data, the disc is again placed in the drive and the process starts again. The disc "opens" and the contents of the disc can be viewed, extracted, etc. Also, at this point, you can add additional data to the disc. This was done. After the new data is "burned", you go through the "eject" functions again. At this point the drive opens and the disc can be removed supposedly ready to be used on other computers. It was at this point that the problems with the discs happened. Neither disc was functional after the "eject" procedure was followed. I have used discs as "flash drives" before, have added data, and so forth, without any problems using the computer that was involved and on my other 2-computers which use Windows-7. Why neither disc was able to be used after the second session is what the problem actually is.

After the first session the discs worked normally. After the second session they did not.

Glen, K9STH
  12. KA9JLM

What type of disc are you using ? Brand ?

Are they RW ?

+ or - ?

Also are the disc being put in to another computers Writable drive ?
  13. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Time for a discectomy.:eek:
  14. K9STH

They are Phillips.

One thing that I have noticed over the years is that out of 100 discs, or whatever quantity bought in the same package, no matter what the brand, usually has a few discs that are defective and won't even format! Occasionally, one of them may start to take data and then crash. Since discs are so cheap these days, I don't usually worry about them and just put them in a stack to be used for making rotary dials for equipment, using as a coaster on the operating positions, etc.

It was just the fact that these two discs worked fine the first time around and then failed the second time around. I didn't delete anything from either disc, just added two more files to each which should work fine no matter if the discs were formatted for "flash" or not.

These discs were bought at Comp USA, but I get discs at Microcenter and Fry's depending whether or not I am getting something else. Unfortunately, Comp USA moved the store that was less than 2-miles away to about 6-miles away. I have to go right by Microcenter to get there so it is much easier just to stop at Microcenter. Also, the Fry's is 2-miles in the opposite direction and doesn't require any freeway driving. Therefore, Fry's is more convenient.

Glen, K9STH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.