ad: Amateur-1

Open Source SDR Options?

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by K0OKS, Feb 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was wondering if there were any good Open Source SDR radios out there. What I mean by this is that I would like to be able to code my own IF and AF DSP filters, modify the GUI, etc. rather than being locked in to something like the 7300 (which I have).

With the Flex or Anan can you actually tinker with things under the hood? Or are you stuck with what they give you? Maybe something like GNU Radio?

Alternately a kit or homebrew project would be cool. I am not at the level where I would want to design it from scratch, though. Anyone have any experience with such a thing? Basically, I like old rigs because I can get in there with a soldering iron and modify things to my liking. I'd like an SDR rig where I can get in there with a text editor (and the source code) and modify/enhance things.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you really mean coding from scratch, or customization changes? Most software I use/used allow customizations (HDSDR, SDR-Radio, SDR#, etc.).

Are you looking for Windows or Linux. There are at least 2 or 3 opensource Linux packages available (GQRX, Cubic SDR, etc.)

3. K0OKS

K0OKS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Either/or, though I would think customization would be adequate, and likely all I would really have time to do. But I want to customize IF filters, not just AF, which is pretty easy wth a lot of software and a sound card.

Thanks.

4. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Take a look at the PlutoSDR from Analog Devices. It's purpose is to be a learning tool, but they accidentally built in some pretty neat features, like 70mhz-6ghz coverage and full duplex rx/tx. Cheap, too.

SdrConsole already supports the Pluto in Windows, so you can play with it immediately.

regards, Roy

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Open HPSDR project has been running for about 14 years with the purpose of encouraging homebrewing, experimentation and to advance technology that could be shared. Several vendors selling SDR radios based their commercial products on this foundation. TAPR has assisted by sponsoring group purchases of kits and pre-built assemblies. Flex Radio assisted by sharing their open software.

There has been an active forum, weekly internet conference calls, and trading/sales of components.

Open HPSDR
    https://openhpsdr.org/

TAPR kits/pre-built boards:
    https://www.tapr.org/kits.html

K0OKS likes this.
  6. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

7. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

8. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Active? The home page hasn't been updated for 6 1/2 years apparently. At first glance that is not a sign of an active project.

The Mercury RX module shows as no longer available. If it's not a complete project, why bother?

Don't get me wrong, I had some hopes for these projects years back, but they just look dead to me now. :(

9. KA0HCP

Criticize, criticize...

[EDITED for sunshine]

The project is there. You can pick and choose the parts you want, and choose what you want to do with it. The info is there, some stuff can still be bought from TAPR, some is offered by commercial vendors, you can always buy used stuff from other hams, finally you can take the OPEN gerbers, schematics and make your own boards!!! *throws up arms*

The functional blocks have evolved over the years, and some blocks are not used in later system concepts. There are at least five different ways an SDR radio can be put together with various mixes of blocks. I"m no longer up to date, and I''m not certain the Mercury block is used in the later concepts.

The HPSDR project has been a major achievement of volunteer design and production. It is a great resource for anyone who wants to get their hands dirty with SDR at either the hardware or software level. It isn't spoonfed, turnkey solution. If that is what someone wants then go buy a new commercial SDR.

Harumph, bill.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  10. KA0HCP

I said "ACTIVE FORUM"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HERE IS THE REFLECTOR.
    http://lists.openhpsdr.org/pipermail/hpsdr-openhpsdr.org/

Get on, talk to people, search the archives for discussion, information, For Sale Ads!!