ad: elecraft

Open Source Development for MMTTY, MMVARI, and MMSSTV

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA6YQ, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I raised no objection to Goody's use of sarcasm. I disagree with his suggestion that I open source DXLab.

You've jumped into a thread regarding open source software development to level an accusation, with no supporting references?

The explanation of why releasing DXLab to open source development would degrade it in multiple dimensions has nothing to do with ego; the response was based on facts and metrics. How is your occupation, virtuous as it may be, relevant to this thread?

Nowhere in this thread or any other have I "put down" anyone for using other software.

You're evidently misinformed. I've been in the computer hardware and software development business for more than 40 years, and continue to work every day.

2. AA6YQ

I stand corrected. Your argument argument that every freeware project should be open source has devolved to opposing innovation and ridiculing attempts to innovate.

Over the 12 years that DXLab has been publicly available, no user has suggested that its interface be replaced with one based on menus. If you prefer menus, use applications that employ them; there are plenty.

To be clear, the phrase not acceptable in my previous responses applied to the metrics of projects you suggested as illustrative of good open source development processes. In all but one case, those projects are carrying significant backlogs of reported but uncorrected defects. This is, in my opinion, not acceptable. The one cited open source project with no defect backlog hasn't made a public release in many years, and thus is not relevant to the discussion.

3. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Your response is a complete non-sequeter. I responded to your habit of using sarcasm when it fits your need, which you do all the time.

I'm not writing an article for the New England Journal of Medicine. I'm offering an opinion, one shared by many others.

Your responses most certainly are relevant to ego, which you have plenty of. That you won't open it to open source is a direct indication of that.

I would not expect you to realize it.

You have the money to do what you want and folks need to realize that. Jobs worked up until practically the day he died. That you work doesn't mean anything. There is nothing wrong with that at all, until you suddenly suggest you are better than others precisely because you have the money and time to deal with certain issues that working folks might not have.

THIS is why I got into this thread, Dave. Folks out there don't realize the extent you have to work "freely" on your software because of the money you have and time you have. Yet, you come across as someone who is carrying a cross on his back. That bothers me and the extent you continue to push this charade is intellectually dishonest at best.

Offer your software for free all you want. But when you come across the way you do, smugly putting down others, I shall offer a counter opinion.

Feel free to "report" my posts all you want. That is also quiet telling. Why can't you simply offer a software package and provide good service without all the smug, ego serving demeaning posts against others? Many other software developers here do. Why can't you??

4. AA6YQ

It's nice to know that I have a coterie of followers keeping track of how often I employ sarcasm, but I'd prefer a quality metric to a quantity metric.

Not open-sourcing DXLab has nothing to do with ego. In this thread, I've laid out an objective, metrics-based rationale for why I develop DXLab as I do. If you want to challenge that rationale, as Goody did, fine; I'm happy to engage in that discussion. If you want to continue the personal attack, you'll be talking to yourself.

Prior to your arrival, this was a technical discussion. Highlighting the virtues of a particular approach and critiquing the weaknesses of an alternative approach constitute neither a claim of personal superiority nor a slam of anyone else; it's just an engineering analysis. My objectives are straightforward: improve the quality and functionality of software available to amateur radio operators, and improve the state of the art in software engineering. If that offends you or those who commercially develop amateur software, so be it.

5. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

HRD uses SCRUM. Best dev model I have worked with.

6. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

7. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[video=youtube;LizeRqRgM90]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LizeRqRgM90&list=PLcajvRZA8E08sBBGcHVz32idpxDNXn7nF&index=6[/video]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.