Online Safety for Children

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by W4ETE, Oct 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4ETE

W4ETE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone,

I was prompted to write this after reading about the concern expressed in the "Calling All 18 and under Generals or Extras!" thread. To start, I am almost 38, and I got my Technician Class on September 11, 2006. I also have four children, three of them daughters.

I recently left the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS), where I investigated computer crimes against the Navy and by Naval personnel (to include the Marine Corps in both accounts). I have seen, first hand, some of society's dark side when it comes to crimes against children. Unfortunately, most of these crimes never make it into the news.

From the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Internet Safety Web Site: http://www.fbi.gov/kids/k5th/safety2.htm

From the United States Naval Program "SAFEKIDS" presentation:
    Web site: http://www.ncis.navy.mil/info/safekids.asp
    Presentation: http://www.ncis.navy.mil/downloads/safekids.ppt

Please don't get me wrong. This web site is great! The truth is that there are people out there that mean to do kids harm. With our license information publicly available, finding an adress for a call sign is very easy. Giving out age and school information can make it very easy for preditors to know too much information.

I encourage all parents consider using PO Box addresses for licensee addresses of all Ops under 18. Personally, I consider it a cheap form of insurance. (I recommend the same for single, female Ops.)

This is a great hobby, there is a lot to learn and share, but I don't want to see anyone get hurt.

My hat is off to everyone under 18 who has their license! Great job!

Matt W4ETE

2. NE6AO

NE6AO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey ,thanks for the badly needed post and proper procedures ,and that a Fed is watching over the kids .I also had 3 girls and a boy, but not when I had a computer.
    Just recently got a laptop abt 5mths ago.I rarely go here on the kids net.your post and one a few mths ago caught my eye.At that time I made known to a particular post I read that,who ever they were ,they'd better not be some one who was tryin to do any thing here that was not above board,,.I shared that I had raised my kids after I got Divorced and so my parental instincts got triggerd hi hi.Turns out it was a young lass who was getting up to speed,so I said ok didnt mean to give her a hard time.Im a grandpa now so my kids are all doing real good ,expecting two more grandkids on the way.My adopted kid bro is a Fed and so I got nothin but highest respect for your job and so thanks for your oversite.73'sTom NE6AO

3. KB1LQC

KB1LQC Guest

Well,
    Its great to see this post, I wish I could make it a sticky. I do agree that there needs to be precautions taken, and its an all around responsability. Well, One way my family did it was that we had one computer in the house that was in the dining room/ kitchen so nothing was hidden. Great way to keep tabs, its not the case anyomore since were both 17 and going onto 18 come June...

I would just like to add as well that the intensity of the reply post made by one of the members was rather too much and the member should have handled the situation differently.

4. W8LBO

W8LBO Ham Member QRZ Page

Good advice.

5. WS2L

WS2L Guest

W4ETE,

Even though you posted this some months ago I would like to thank you for posting it. I am retired from NJ Law Enforcement and have dealt first hand with the type of individuals who would take advantage of youth forums for their personal sick desires. I think what you have posted is a "MUST READ" for not only members who are under 18 but also into their early 20's. The issue of online stalkers on any website is a very big concern to me and I like to think I take a proactive stance and attempt to take care of issues before they become problems.

Any member under the age of 21 should be extremely cautious as to how much information you give out about yourself on the internet. If you are being harassed by anyone either in open forums, Private Message or email I strongly urge you to contact a Moderator. Do not feel that you are bothering anyone as we take issues like this very seriously. Enjoy the forum and on the air QSO's but most of all do not take any chances, do not post anything into open forums that you do not want to be known about you.

73's
    Dave......WS2L

6. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Better advice:

All use of the internet by children should be supervised by parents. Kids shouldn't sign up for anything or place anything personal online without parental guidance.

Period, the end.

There would be a lot less trouble if the computer wasn't a babysitter. It has replaced the Television.

Parents need to be more involved in their childrens online activities. "I trust my kid" doesn't work on the current online environment.

Kids need to know their parents are going to check on them and supervise their internet usage.

Good advice, but parental involvement needs to increase dramatically.

7. W4ETE

W4ETE Ham Member QRZ Page

Your welcome to everyone saying or thinking 'thank you'...

KD6NIG - I agree that parental supervision is important; however, its not always as practical as some might think. I believe that teaching the kids, sometime over and over and over again, is a normal part of parenting. Even though my oldest daughter is nearly 13 now, she is still learning. (Knowing that I have a website and key stroke logger installed does help her to remember to be good most of the time.)

Matt W4ETE

8. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats exactly what I mean by more parental supervision. Saying you're going to monitor doesn't do anything. Actively doing it and making sure the child knows said monitoring is occuring is a very good way of ensuring no problems.

That, and telling the child that any attempt to circumvent the program means instant banning from the computer.

Active involvement is the key. I've had a few relatives tell me they install the program and it does nothing, yet fail to notice the 'program terminated' and 'program restarted' items in the log. If the child shuts the program down, it doesn't work very well.

Intervention is the key.

9. k0dxc

k0dxc Guest

So, being above a tech this doesn't apply to me? [​IMG]

10. KG6VGR

KG6VGR QRZ Member

I agree. Parents need to be more involved with their children. I am a new mother of a 8 month old. when my child becomes of an age that, they will use the computer, she will be watched. Children, honestly do not grasp the danger(s), they believe it won't happen to them. My husband knows this is the case aswell

KG6VGR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.