Online petition to FCC to void HOA and developer antenna restrictions

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by N4UM, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-rl
ad: l-sarc
  1. N4UM

N4UM Ham Member QRZ Page

There is now an online petition at Change.org to ask the FCC to void existing outdoor antenna prohibitions made by developers and homeowner's associations. Those of you who do not wish to submit formal comments on this matter (GN Docket 12-91) to the FCC may support the petition by a very simple process of going to the site listed below and signing the petition. It is important that the FCC receive your response(s) by May 17, 2012. Please take a minute to at least make this effort to improve amateur radio. Encourage the hams you speak with on the radio and in other online forums like this one to do likewise. If you have the time and interest to submit formal comments to the FCC on this matter, by all means do so.

http://www.change.org/petitions/fed...ns-by-homeowner-s-associations-and-developers

2. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I sympathize with the problem but you're asking way too much to be taken seriously.

3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

It has and will always be a long standing tenant of this country that the Federal government not usurp local statutes more restrictive than Federal laws. Regardless, I don't want the Federal government to fix negligence of someone too stupid or oblivious to not realize what they buy.

4. N4UM

N4UM Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC is presently seeking formal comments on this issue (until May 17) so it would seem reasonable to presume they plan on taking comments on the issue seriously and might also be willing to consider peitions if they receive enough signatures.

5. WA6TKD

WA6TKD Ham Member QRZ Page

I checked out Change.org but couldn't find anything that looked like this initiative? Perhaps if you or someone could post a direct link it might get more support.

6. N4UM

N4UM Ham Member QRZ Page

They already have with regard to TV antennas and satellite dishes:)

7. N4UM

N4UM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just click on the link at the bottom of my original post and it should take you right to the petition.

8. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

True but I was referring to how you're really asking for the moon.

That just seems a little too much to ask for.

I really do sympathize with the problem and don't agree with tone of K1VSK's comment. I have some thoughts that I might write later when I have more time.

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What a clever way to turn yourself in for violation of local policy.

Not moving into a place with a HOA. Would be my first choice.

If I moved into a place that does not allow antennas or has other deed restriction, Then I have no right to bitch about it, after the fact.

Federal and local law are two different issues.

Good Luck.

10. N4UM

N4UM Ham Member QRZ Page

That's K1VSK's problem, not mine. He doesn't bother me and I support his right to use whatever tone he feels is appropriate. I used to be a contester before moving into a geriatric ghetto so my skin's pretty thick :)

No one really expects the FCC to wash their hands of the issue and tell everyone it's OK to put up 100 foot towers with stacked monobanders and indulge whatever other antenna fantasys they might have. We're not really asking for the moon. We're simply asking the FCC to tell real estate developers and homeowner's associations with no expertise in telecommunications to butt out and allow the appropriate authorities (the FCC) to determine what's reasonable in the way of permissible antennas.

11. WA7BBI

WA7BBI Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC has an established system to address concerns and/or problems. A petition ain't one of them. What a monumental waste of time and effort. Follow the established rules, DUH!!

12. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

13. N4UM

N4UM Ham Member QRZ Page

I presume those of you who advocate the use of already established channels have already filed your lengthy comments pro or con or expect to do so shortly.

14. AC0H

AC0H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And thus endeth the quest.
    They decided a long time ago that they don't have the authority to intervene in what is essentially a private agreement/contract between the developer/HOA and the homeowner. There are and hopefully always will be consequences to making bad agreements....without relying on the nanny state to give you what you knew...or should have known wasn't in the agreement.

15. N4UM

N4UM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not so. As I mentioned earlier the FCC has already intervened with regard to prohibitions of TV antennas and satellite dishes.

16. AC0H

AC0H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You are right. They decided that satellite and over the air TV antennas were a public neccesity.
    You just aren't going to win the public neccesity argument when amateur radio is involved.

17. N4UM

N4UM Ham Member QRZ Page

Then why did the FCC even bother to solicit formal comments on the two issues of the contributions of the Amateur Radio Service to emergency communications and the effects of antenna prohibitions upon that service. Are you suggesting that they're "just going though the motions?"

18. NI7I

NI7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I just read your petition. I dont see how signing this would improve amateur radio. In my view, these HOA's have not usurped anything
    from the FCC's area of responsibility. There is technology available today that more or less, makes amateur radio nearly useless in
    disasters, as long as the responsible agencys have made the apropriate preperations.. I dont think the FCC would have requested
    comments without being required to do so by Congress. The request, in my view, certainly does not indicate that they plan on
    acting in any way on this issue. There is simply no justification for the FCC to intervene on behalf of a group of hobbiests. It is my
    view that what you ask of them (the FCC) is beyond their power, in any case.

NI7I
    Lee

19. N4UM

N4UM Ham Member QRZ Page

If one doesn't ask, one seldom gets. Vat could it hoit?

20. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

one more vote for

you made a deal whan you bought the house. live with it or live elsewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.