One Dead After Tower Collapse in Susquehanna County

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N6PAT, Jun 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In elementary school and junior high school, my father had piled up some sand at the bottom of a particular tree (for various projects that required mortar or cement). My friends, and I, would climb at least 20-feet into the tree and then jump off into the sand. No one ever even sprained an ankle. Dumb? Of course, but we were young and "fearless".

Eventually, my father built a new garage where the tree stood and it came down. My mother insisted that we had not done so because there wasn't such a tree. However, I found a photograph that showed the tree and, finally, my mother remembered the tree.

I have always preferred not having to climb a tower. But, that is different from being afraid of climbing a tower. Safety is the primary thing involved if someone is climbing a tower. Yes, something, unexpected, can always happen and, when proper safety procedures are employed, that can be overcome very easily with no one being injured.

When I was routinely supervising tower work (be it new tower construction or working on antennas, etc.), if someone was even hinting at "goofing off", that person got 1-very stern warning. If it happened a 2nd time, that person was off the site and was not allowed any where near the site again. Usually, tower work was being done by private contractors. However, it was always understood that I had final say on anything that happened on the site. The tower company owners knew that I knew what was going on and they respected my judgement. In fact, most of them requested that I be "on site" just in case something happened either on the tower or on the ground because I had a pretty good idea of the whole picture and could make the correct decision to rectify the situation.

Glen, K9STH

W4NNF likes this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably??

3. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I bet you are one of those stations I hear calling for so long in a DX Pileup.Most of us with a good yagi don't have that issue & I hate repeating myself so I have the Five Band yagi & the 1200 watts PEP just for good measure.Many don't have a tower even though they have dreams of one but money,space,their wife wears the pants at their house,& HOA's prevent it so they make excuses like,the tower might fall & just FYI,it may not & likely will not fall as well. LOL :p;)o_O:)

Clayton
    W4KVW

4. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll bet you were one of those stations I heard calling Navassa K1N (#1 most wanted in the world at the time) in the biggest pileups I've ever heard. Calling over and over for hours and not getting them.

Well I got them on six bands with my little vertical while powerhouse stations calls went unanswered.

Regarding your comment

"Many don't have a tower even though they have dreams of one but money,space,their wife wears the pants at their house,& HOA's prevent it so they make excuses like,the tower might fall & just FYI,it may not & likely will not fall as well. LOL"

I can afford a tower if I wanted one. My wife is dead. I do not live in an HOA community. I am a considerate neighbor and therefore would not inflict a tower on the eyes of the neighbors or their property values.

I've done pretty well without a tower or high power:

9 band DXCC (10 if you count 60 meters), 9 band WAS (10 if you count 60 meters), Triple Play, 5 band WAZ, SSB WAZ, Mixed WAZ, nearly 1800 band points, WAS on 16 different band/mode combinations including WAS 160 Digital that took only 10 days with 100 watts. Take a look at my QRZ page.

You might want to wait until you advance from General before you start lecturing Extras about ham radio.

W4NNF likes this.
  5. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's only 1700 miles from Webster NY to Navassa. About half of the path is over water, too.

6. N6PAT

Yes, with literally thousands of stations , most of them probably high power & big towers) all calling at the same time. How many other stations in the Northeast were trying as well?

I was , and still am, using a small Hustler 6BTV ground mounted vertical and 300 watts. Add to that a FT 450D POS with a busted VFO (had to control with software) and cables literally held on the rig with duct tape because of a defect in the rear bulkhead.

You can do a lot with a little.

7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Whoa, hold on a second there.

"Most of them probably high power & big towers"? How do you know what others are actually running, besides a few famous callsigns?

K1N logged 138,409 contacts with 35,702 unique call signs. On their best day, they made 15,706 Qs.

Thousands of stations calling? I think not. Dozens, yes, hundreds maybe when things are busy. Thousands? I think not.

K1N had 8 rigs, each with an amplifier. Their antenna farm was 4 verticals (160, 80, 40, 30) and 6 beams (5 SteppIrs for 20 through 10 and 1 for 6 ). Also a receiving loop. Using beams for the higher HF bands meant they could choose what parts of the world they'd work, to a certain extent.

And of course world-class operators.

Should the K1N folks not have done such an extensive operation? Should they have left the amplifiers, beams, towers, and such at home? A few wires, a vertical or two, some low-end rigs....that's all anyone needs, right?

Consider that your success working K1N may have been at least partly due to what the DXpedition team did....

Don't know. But remember - once somebody had K1N on a particular band/mode, they'd move on.

K1N Navassa was 2015 - more than four years ago. Why not fix the rig? Or get something else? While you many consider an FT-450D to be a "POS", consider that many are using much less.

I've been a ham since 1967. When I started out, rigs like that FT-450D did not exist. The price of a new FT-450D, adjusted for inflation, would not buy a new Heathkit HW-16 Novice rig. The radios available today do so much more than we ever dreamed possible, and they cost less than we ever imagined they could sell for.

You're preaching to the choir. Heck, I don't have a tower nor an amplifier - never did. Probably never will. Most hams today, including you, probably can't operate my station at all. But that's not the point.

The point is that there's nothing wrong with hams putting up towers, beams, etc. Nothing wrong with high power (up to the legal limit), radios that cost more than a certain dollar amount, etc. Hams can have towers and Yagis and such and be good neighbors too. No one should fear the wrath of Gladys Kravitz.

I've had the good fortune to visit some European cities in the past few years - Prague, Rome, Florence, Venice, Madrid, Grenada, London. While I wasn't there for Amateur Radio purposes, I did notice some Amateur Radio antennas in each of them. Historic old cities, with all sorts of buildings dating back hundreds of years - and yet no problems with antennas.

So I ask:

Should no radio amateur have towers/beams because it's possible to work HF DX without them?

Should no radio amateur run more than X watts because it's possible to work HF DX with QRP?

Should no radio amateur have a station costing more than a certain amount because it's possible to work HF DX with inexpensive gear?

Should every radio amateur go hat-in-hand to the neighbors/family and beg permission to put up a visible antenna?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    W4NNF and N2SR like this.
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Navassa isn't far away, it's like working Cuba, Jamaica or Haiti; it's rare because nobody lives there so it's only activated now and then when hams get permission to land (which isn't easy).

Top-notch ops using good antennas and of course it's surrounded by sea water so it's a good location; "getting through" is mostly a matter of timing and picking the right frequency to call on. For guys on the east coast (U.S.), having a big beam on a tall tower isn't an advantage for such a chip shot -- their TOA can be way too low and if possible they should lower their beams. It's one reason many of the "big guns" and DX contest stations have several beams at different heights.

9. N6PAT

And that's why when it is activated there are huge pileups. My point was that you don't need towers , huge antennas and big power amps to get DX. You don't seem to understand that and apparently need to resort to insults with your comment:

"Many don't have a tower even though they have dreams of one but money,space,their wife wears the pants at their house,& HOA's prevent it so they make excuses like,the tower might fall & just FYI,it may not & likely will not fall as well. LOL"

Not everyone thinks a huge hunk of metal looming high in the sky is a thing of beauty.

10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

1:22 to 1:37 in particular

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    WZ7U likes this.