One Dead After Tower Collapse in Susquehanna County

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N6PAT, Jun 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

it's all about entertainment and a good sense of humor...…..

2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

.....are you not....entertained?
    is this not why you are here?

N2SR likes this.
  3. K3BEQ

K3BEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

h
    Although my tower guy is a pro with all the proper safety/climbing credentials I still have him sign a witnessed waiver stating that I and my family are not responsible for injury or death. That coupled with home liability insurance makes me sleep better at night. If the tower guy is bonded, better yet. (Also checked with my attorney. He agreed) . One never knows if the surviving family will go after the tower owner with litigation. Too many hams rely on non professional friends etc., to do tower work to save money only to find themselves heading for the courtroom if something of the above nature happens. "Hope for the best, plan for the worst"!

4. K3BEQ

K3BEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

"Find a young ham who is interested in …...climbing??? You gotta be kidding That's like giving a him a loaded gun.

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Uh oh. Reference to the dreaded g word. :rolleyes:

6. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was a 16 year old novice I became the tower man for all hams in the Memphis area. Did the work all for FREE! I had wonderful instructions from WA4VMS concerning safety. He had all the safety gear. From those experiences I went on to work for a professional tower company. I could not think of a better safety mentor than Mr. Glen.

NL7W likes this.
  7. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

upload_2019-6-20_17-19-51.png

8. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

any reference to Edwin Armstrong must be accompanied by a link to his site at Doomed Engineers:

https://doomedengineers.wordpress.c...d-armstrong-1890-1954-invented-most-of-radio/

he invented every component in the PLL, but not the PLL.

any reference to Doomed Engineers must be accompanied by a link to Smolinsky and Blake at Doomed Engineers. sheet metal screws. Charles Darwin said there would be days like this:

https://doomedengineers.wordpress.com/2016/01/18/smolinksi-and-blake-1973-a-pinto-for-icarus/

Igor Sikorsky designed dozens of aircraft. He said that aircraft designers should be required to test fly their own designs. That way bad designs would eliminate bad designers. Smolensky and Blake managed to prove both Sikorsky and Darwin were right.

[​IMG]

from https://thevaultoftheatomicspaceage.tumblr.com/

and there goes your productivity for the rest of the day.

KC8VWM and WF7A like this.
  9. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I'm nearly 70 and although I don't have a tower to climb, I do have a roof (2 stories high).

So, my wife and I have an agreement.

If I fall off the roof or ladder, I'm either OK or Dead !

Nothing in between.

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You'd probably only be dead if you fell on your head.:)

If you land on your feet, probably more like a broken ankle or broken leg.

Ouch.

Youth is wasted on the young. When I was about 18, I was installing a big CB antenna on a neighbor's 3-story high roof (big old house) and had a big extension ladder leaning against the roof to access it. I didn't tie the ladder off to anything, it got windy, the ladder blew over and nobody was home in the house. Cell phones hadn't been invented yet.

I sat by the roof edge a long time hoping someone would come, but nobody did, so I jumped, trying to land in some bushes below. It worked -- scratched up by bushes, but no injury to anything other than pride. I never told them what happened. That was at least a 25' "fall," but it wasn't an accident, it was a planned fall.

If I did that today, I probably would break something.:p

KA0HCP likes this.