Old 10 Meter RCI Radio Question

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KO0N, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KO0N

KO0N Ham Member

I have a Ranger (Mirage) 2950, this radio does not like the cold. This radio resets itself to 28.000 Mhz or, will turn on and be stuck at 31.999 Mhz until I go to the "Manual" mode and tap the transmit button.

CB Tricks says that there is a battery for the cmos in the CPU but, I do not see it; it does not seem to be accessable from the inside of the radio without removing the front panel from the display AFTER the display unit has been separated from the chassis.

I must be missing something......

I like this radio alot and, I am wondering if there is someone Trustworthy and reliable who has repaired RCI radios. I am looking for someone with knowledge of the quirks of these radios.

My service monitor / scope crapped out so, I am kinda like a row boat with only one oar in the water.

The CPU board in this radio is is the DPT295042z, the same boards are in the 2527, the RCI 2950, 2970 and, the RCi 2990. The CPU / PLL goes crazy and thre radio has to be reset to the desire operating frequency when powered back on.

The is no visibile battery backup for the CPU ROM so, it seems to be erased every time it is powered or or off.

this is the board

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member

Dallas/Maxim and other IC manufacturers are actually placing SuperCapacitors and/or batteries within the RAM or uProcessor die itself!! You would have to replace the uProcessor or RAM!!

I have one here a fairly new RAM device that Dallas/Maxim sent me for testing -- replaces 3 separate parts and a lithium coin cell on the PC board (everybody wants a smaller device these days).

Since the parts list and PC board layout X-ray does not show a battery -- that would be my first guess. Planned obsolescence by Ranger with a specially made uProcessor?? Cross-check the uProcessor numbers. Possible!

w9gb

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  3. KC4UMO

KC4UMO Ham Member

Greg may be right on that.
    I do know the EPT295043Z board has the coin sized battery mounted on the other side on the board. Right behind the CPU.

[​IMG]
    It is not very hard to get to.

4. AE1PT

AE1PT Ham Member

You do understand that RCI junk is intended for the CB/Freebander crowd?

5. N9JRN

N9JRN Ham Member

A remark like that makes you sound like an idiot, The RCI-2950/70 radios are intended to be a 10 meter ham radio and a damned good one at that. I know it can be easily modded to go on CB but so can my IC-718, and your FT-2000, and his ts-2000, so get off it if you don't have a real answer don't post this (THATS CB ####),. Some of you people are real boneheads!!!:mad:

And if you open the speaker side of the case, and look down the back side of the vertical board that the display board plugs into, the battery shoul be about in the middle of the board way down by the main board, it's a 3 volt lithium battery about the size of a quarter with the buzzer stuck to it with double sided tape.:)

Hope this helps, Aaron

6. AE1PT

AE1PT Ham Member

Oh please. They are garbage marketed to the freeband crowd that 10 meters is simply an excuse to try to elude the FCC. They are not intended for ham use, and a short Google search will confirm just what they are being used for.

Easily modded my foot. Most shops that they are bought in already have the work done on delivery. Beware of accusing folks here of being an idiot...

7. KC4RAN

KC4RAN Ham Member

What... you mean to tell me "real hams" don't shop at the local truck stop? They don't order their top-end radios from Copper?

No way!?!

8. N7ZZT

N7ZZT Ham Member

junk? for some of us on limited incomes, its about all we can afford (and mine si strictly 10 meter thank you very much). for a "junk" radio it has a very nice receive (not as good as say yaesu or kenwood, but in a pinch it works nicely).

also, I hate to bring this to yur attention, but just about any amateur radio with 10 in it can be modified to work freeband/11 through the use of the mars/cap modifications built right in. so... your claim that its specifically marketed for the 11 meter/freeband crowd falls flat. I purchased mine at a local radio shop (HRO didn't have any in stock at the time) and I probably paid about $50.00 more than I should have, but, its mine and it woirks.

anyway, calling a specific radio that is actually FCC type accepted for the US market as a freeband/11 meter radio when there are others specifically made for that market (and are highly illegal) is a farce. you want a freeband radio, try the cobra 148gtl-dx (24-30 Mhz with switchable banks) or the Thunder 2000fm (with 6 banks for 40 channels each plus FM mode) or a few others.... There are many others....

I wish I had the 700-900 dollars for a kenwood or an icom or a yaesue, but i don't. so I went with what I could get. you don't like it? TOUGH!.

9. N7ZZT

N7ZZT Ham Member

funny, mine came from apollo communications and it was factory spec only. no mods. care to try that again?

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber

You might want to re-think that, because it's not true.

The RCI2950 is absolutely on the FCC list of "banned radios" because they are absolutely not certificated for the United States:

FCC LIST OF BANNED RADIOS

COBRA - model: 200 GTL DX

CONNEX - models: 3300, 3300 HP, 3300HP-ZX, 3300 PLUS, CX-3800, 4300 HP, 4300 HP 300, 4400, 4400 HP, 4600 Turbo, 4800 DXL, 4800 HPE, Deer Hunter, General Lee, General Washington

GALAXY - models: 33HML, 44V, 45MP, 48T, 55, 55V, 66V, 73V, 77, 77HML, 88HL, 93T, 95T, 99V, 2517, 2527, 2547, Melaka, Saturn and Saturn Turbo

GENERAL - General Jackson, Grant, Stonewall Jackson, Lee, Washington, A.P. Hill, Longstreet, Sherman

MAGNUM - models: 257, 357DX, Alpha force, Delta Force, Mini, Omega Force,S3, S3RF, S6, S9,

MIRAGE - models: 33HP, 44, 88, 99, 2950, 2950EX, 2970, 6600, 88H/L, 9900,

NORTH STAR - models: NS-3000 and NS-9000

PRESIDENT - models: Grant, J.F.K., Jackson, Lincoln, HR-2510 and HR-2600

PRO STAR - model: 240

RANGER / RCI - models: AR-3500, RCI-2900, RCI-2950, RCI-2950-DX, RCI-2970, RCI-2970-DX, RCI-2980-WX, RCI-2985-DX, RCI-2995-DX, RCI-6300, RCI-6300 Turbo, RCI-6300F-25, RCI-6300F-150, RCI-6900, RCI-6900 Turbo, RCI-6900F-25, RCI-6900F-150, RG-99, Voyage VR-9000

STRYKER - model: 440

SUPERSTAR - model: 121, 122, 36, 3700, 3900, 3900HP, 3900 American Spirit, 3900 HP G, 3900 Gold, 3900GHPA, 3900GHPM, 4800, Grant

TEK - model: HR-3950

UNIDEN - models: HR-2510 and HR-2600

VIRAGE - model: 3300, 3300 HP, VX-38, VX-39

11. WB2WIK

BTW, the RCI "junque" really isn't very good, nor a good deal unless you get one very cheaply.

I've owned three of them (horrors! not certificated, but they were given to me) and they do not "hold their own" against other inexpensive 10m-only mobile transceivers like the old Radio Shack HTX-100, which was excellent. And the HTX-100 was almost impossible to modify for CB use (firmware controlled, no way to re-flash it), which is why it was FCC certificated for use in the United States and never appeared on the "banned" list.

You could buy a brand new HTX-100 (when they were selling them!) for as little as $129 when they were closing them out, and I sold two of them to local newbies for $75 each.

WB2WIK/6

12. KC9PYV

KC9PYV Ham Member

Does this ever get old? It's like the same thread over, and over. Every couple of months give, or take, somebody asks a question on one of these 10 meter rigs, and it HAS to turn into an argument. Half of the rigs you hear on the freeband when the band is open are Kenwood, Yeasu, Icom, and so on. If you are on a budget, and want to just work 10 meters in a compact mobile I don't see the problem. Not everyone can afford a 706, and others. This is the radio that got me interested in HF radio. I used it for the first couple months I was licensed, and nobody ever told me that it sounded like "junk". I have upgraded my rig now so that I can have access to all of HF. My 2970 sits on the shelf, and will be used as my mobile/back up rig.

13. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member

Yup! More CB radio junk.

N7ZZT, with your complaints about the CBers making your life miserable and picking on you in the other thread you posted, it makes a guy wonder when you admit to owning one of these crappy CB radios.

KC9PYV, You're kidding right? How could you possibly know what rigs the freebanders are running........unless you are one.

14. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member

Interesting comments re: the HTX-100. That rig uses the same parent board as the HR2510/HR2600, albeit with a narrower SSB filter. One used to be able to order said filter as a replacement part from R/S and swap them, albeit at the expense of pleasant-sounding AM reception. An automatic switching scheme could probably be devised, but I digress...

The President rigs work well on 10. I ran one for years as part of my packet BBS/gateway setup; it was the main link radio from NEOH to the AZSE conference node. To say the rig had a heavy workload placed on it was at times a gross understatement, yet it never faltered.

Before doing the packet gig, it managed to net 150+ countries for me during drive-time to and from work in the early 90's.

"The little radio that could" is currently mounted in yet another car and is doing its thing...

15. WB2WIK

The big difference was that Radio Shack insisted that Uniden, the maker of the HTX series, make it virtually impossible to modify the rig to operate below 28 MHz. The Uniden unit was easy to modify to operate CB. The Radio Shack was not. That's why the Uniden never got FCC certification, and the Radio Shack did.

16. K5DXX

K5DXX Ham Member

Oh darn...I have a nice RCI 2950 Mirage that has never been used.

Might as well packed it up and store it.

:eek:

17. KC6TOA

KC6TOA Ham Member

The FCC has an official list?
    whats to keep somebody not from the fcc adding or removing from that list?

18. KC8QMU

KC8QMU Ham Member

Wow.... and to think at one time hams used to modify actual "CB" rigs to get them on 10M.......... what kind of "junk radio" crap would be spewed at them nowadays?

I'd speculate that there are a lot more rci radios being used on 10M than many would think......... many that havent been hacked and that function just fine.... sure if it's been hacked by some "swing kit" junkie it's going to be dirty, wide, and have no place on the band, but the fact is they can often be found, unhacked, at a reasonable price. I have a Ranger 5054 that I use for 6m SSB....... while it is crude compared to my Yaesu, Icom, and Kenwood products I own, it is simple and gets the job done. I've had it for about 7 years now, and I've never had a bad report about it..........

But then again, I dont get my cookies off about having a bigger radio than someone else........ :eek:

19. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member

Um.. is it permissible to disagree and suggest an emphatic "NO" it's not a good 10m radio at all...???

That's the main reason the FCC Office of Engineering and Technology (OET) evaluated the radio in a lab and then decided to list it on it's banned list.

They didn't ban this radio from use because it's a particularly "damned good" transceiver exhibiting excellent IMD product specification, ease of modification for 11m operation, spectral purity or anything like that do you think?

Go figure...

Thank you very much for your understanding on this matter. :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  20. N7ZZT

N7ZZT Ham Member

I will not completely disagree with you here (as some of the models listed above are clearly markets toward the freeband crowd). However, you failed to mention that from the fcc database, these radios did not receive type acceptance for the 11 meter class D citizens band service. This makes your statement above considerably over generalized. the FCC clearly lists these radios as BANNED for use on 11 meter CB in the united states. Their database says NOTHING about use of some models of these radios (such as the RCI-2950) on the assigned amateur radio spectrum (in the case, 10/12 meters). many of the other models as stated above are clearly banned for any use (amateur or otherwise). Now, I will be contacting my local ARRL representative for clarification on this matter in the morning. I will go with what he says. IF (and only if) he says that said radio is not even authorized for use on 10/12 meters due to some problem, then I shall immediately discontinue use of the device and seek immediate refund from RCI. Otherwise, I will obtain a written statement from him attesting to its "lawful" use on the assigned amateur spectrum.

one last point: in my search to see if this radio was actually legal in the US, I found references to a "blue dot rci-2950dx" this is sold US only and is legal for use on the assigned Amateur bands. this radio is (according to the website carrying the info) not modifiable therefor making it legal for use in the US market. As far as I am able to determine, I have said "blue dot" model.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.