Ok FT8, what good is it?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by K3LI, Oct 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA3YAY

WA3YAY Ham Member QRZ Page

The benefit for HOA-bound Hams is huge. Low-power and modest antenna requirements. Most stealth antennas would do OK with 10W max. Granted it isn't like having a traditional rag chew or even a short conversation, but for people who have modest shacks, it's a way to actually do some serious DX.

Won't replace other modes, but it is getting really, really popular. Can't wait to see the next WSJT-X release candidate.

W9AFB likes this.
  2. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hawaii this morning on 40 FT8, just waiting on LoTW.

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

South Pacific last night on 20 with 30 watts...

4. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

about what time?

5. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

At 1029utc. Just confirmed, hooray!

KA2CZU likes this.
  6. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

From my current situation of trying to learn digitial modes, I despise FT8 and JT65.

Why? Nobody around here seems to do much else. I am still trying to learn proper calling areas for other modes, but they seem completely peppered with random FT8 and JT65.

I am in Asia, and just completed my 3rd 4-hour sitting over 2 1/2 days, and nothing but JT65 and FT8, for digital. Maybe a little RTTY contesting. Briefly saw an Olivia conversation out of Micronesia. Someone tried to answer me in Hellschreiber once. Couldn't get the call. Saw about half a garbled sentence of a PSK31 signal.

I don't think many people in Asia bother with much else, than FT8? Part of my problem could be bad propagation, and coming off of the JA contest, this past weekend?

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is no doubt FT8 has taken ham radio by storm. I suspect that as time goes on and the newness wears off, digital users will trickle back to PSK31, etc.

KE0EYJ likes this.
  8. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope not. I still need lots of entities confirmed. :D:D:D:D

9. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm pretty selfish. I want people to rag chew with.

Currently, I really like Olivia and Hell, but nobody around to talk to. Too early in the week. Sat and listened to myself hitting California web sdr at 5/5 to 5/7 signal by ear, using Olivia. Nobody awake with this time change, and being a weekday.

10. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Not so; I hate ragchewing with a passion.

K2CQW likes this.