ad: M2Ant-1

oil wells????

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by W9RLG, Mar 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
  1. W9RLG

W9RLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay, I delivered a load to Conway Freight the other day in Santa Fe Springs, Ca. I was wondering if somebody could tell me if those are oil wells or gas wells that sit on both sides of the street on Telegraph Road and Shoemaker. Just interested in knowing, thought it was a little funny seeing them in the middle of the city.. Oh and might I say I love Santa Fe Springs around the area of Telegraph Rd and the Norwalk Blvd area, It is beautiful.

2. NY3V

NY3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Oil Wells galore! Here you go. An old post card to send home. :D
  3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They are there, but ENVIROMENTAL WACKOS won't let us use them as some stupid bird might get all OILY if one should ever leak! They LIKE the idea of gasoline going to $20 a gallon so people will be forced to drive GREEN Electric cars at 35MPH! Or little 200MPG wingdingding cars like the SMART car that make MOTORCYCLES look HUMONGUS! So, Yep, they are still there. But not many are pumpin!
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Oil Producing Well

Them look like Drilling Rigs. They must be stabbing in the dark.

A Oil Producing well, Looks like this, After the drilling is complete.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Sante Fe Springs Anticline oil & gas field, bringing you crap from down deep under the ground since 1919.:eek:
  6. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a pump jack for pumping oil after the natural pressure has subsided. Most wells look like the towers on the cards. Pump jacks are actually a minority.
  7. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not in the rest of the oil patches of America. Pump jacks are typical for oil wells that aren't under pressure. Derricks are used when first drilling wells in order to handle the long sections of pipe. In ancient days derricks were fixed structures and left in place out of practicality as depicted on the postcard.

Now they are mobile and move from new well to new well. Once production starts a pump is placed at the bottom of the well and a mechanical pump jack drives it via a long rod. Pump jacks come in different sizes based on the size and depth of the pump. As oil wells play out the production drops off and may not flow continuously. In those cases the pump jack may run only a few hours a day in order to allow the oil to flow through the rock into the well. This is called a "stripper well".

Happy pumping!
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They would make good towers for Amateur radio.

I see no reason for them to be there. It is a waste to dill that close together.

Some of them may be natural gas. But once a hole is drilled they can, and are removed, in Texas.

No wonder California has so many earthquakes.

We are just starting to get earthquakes here in Texas, due to Fracking.

Nice explanation QAA, Thanks.

9. WB2WIK

The call them pump jacks because most of the time they're pumping Jack.:eek:

They're all over the place around here, probably hardly a zip code that doesn't have some.
  10. W9RLG

thanks BIK, yes that is what I thought. I have seen them and thought it was funny to see them in the middle of the city. I have seen them out in Long Beach also. Oh well, will probably be back to Ca Friday again, to Santa Fe Springs at Conway Freight. Thanks again BIK

11. WB2WIK

Sounds like you're a truck driver. If so, don't forget to exhibit the Los Angeles Area Rules of the Highway, which means anything goes and I'll get you if you don't get me first.:p:eek:
  12. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

These look like the only oil wells I've ever known!
  13. K9ZMD

K9ZMD Subscriber QRZ Page

Steve, recall the problem that occurred a couple decades ago in the La Brea area? (It was back when people still read the news on paper delivered to their house.) Seems some of those pump jacks were shut down to to low productivity . . . and not long afterward, a few nearby houses with basements had an intrusion of crude oil.
  14. W9RLG

Yep Steve I'm a truck driver for another three months, and then retire. I drive for CRST and make about 4 trips to Ca in three week that I'm out, I'm getting to know I-40 by the seat of my pants. Can usually tell where we are by the roughness of the road if I'm sleeping,. Yes I drive team. Again thanks for the reply Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.