ad: CQMM-1

Oh Lord What have I created?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Apr 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

KD7LZR writes "If you want to have some fun just get on 2 meters, find Tyler (KD7MJO), and ask him if he had a dollar, would he spend it on candy or save for a HF rig. I warn you that you will not get a typical answer. As a matter of fact you will probably spend an hour trying to convince a twelve year old of the virtues of saving while laughing at his responses. Sometimes I am not sure if he is having fun with the person on the other end of the mike or if he is serious but I gurantee you, as N7NZV found out, that he will have you laughing.

With that in mind I thought I would give you a taste of a conversation Tyler and I have had for many weeks now and No, I have not won the argument yet! As a preface you need to understand that Tyler has a hard time getting to bed at night and always likes to engage me in a conversation.

"Dad, I want the new Yaesu FT 817, that’s the radio for me." I was amused and began to explain this was not a good idea for him, "Tyler, first its too expensive but you could mow peoples lawns and with your allowance you could save for a couple of years and get it but why would you want a radio that only runs 2.5 watts on battery power?"

"Years? I cant wait that long, wont you buy it for me?"

"No Tyler, Mom and I are not going to buy all your radios and besides I don't think you want to run 2.5 watts to begin with."

"Yes I do. I can take it with me everywhere I go and talk around the world can't I?"

"Well yes but only if the conditions are right and besides......"

"Well, one of the bands will have the right conditions, wont they?"

"Yes, most of the time but if you are trying for a rare DX, it will be harder."

"So, what's your point?"

"Ok Ty, let me try to explain it a different way. First, we will not buy the radio but if we did let me give you an example of what will happen. If I am running 100 watts and you are running 2.5 watts, who do you think would get the DX station first?"

Tyler’s immediate response, "I will!"

"Now, how do you figure that?" I should have stopped here but now he has me going and I have to win this argument. I can not let a 12 year old win this battle but I should have known better.

"Well, Dad its simple. You have a dipole right?"

"Yes but what’s that got to do with it?," I replied.

"Ok, remember you told me that if I got my General you would either buy me a beam oe build one?"

OK. Being the smart Dad I see where he is going with this. "Yes Tyler, I remember and your point is that the beam has more gain but that does not mean....."

"Wait Dad, let me finish. When that beam is on top of the tower....."

"Whoa there partner. Where did the tower come from?"

"Come on Dad, you have to put the beam someplace and Mom already told you that we can not have any more antennas on the house, besides the TV rotor for my 6 and 2 meter antennas wont turn it, you told me that. Besides, I want a tower to put my beam on, they are so cool."

"Do you have any idea Tyler how much a tower costs?"

"No, but I bet you can get a used one for less than my radio".

"Wait a minute here son. We have gone from a radio, to a beam, to a tower and I have told you that....."

"Let me finish Dad. You asked me why I said that I would get the DX before you. I can't lose."

"Not necessarily Ty. You see, even with that gain and height you will not necessarily have a stronger signal it depends on....."

"I know Dad!"

"Then how in the world do you expect to get the DX station before I do?"

"That’s easy Dad, I will be faster than you!"

"Go to bed Tyler."

"So are we getting the tower first? Remember that Ham at the Mike and Key club is selling his".

"Go to bed Tyler."

"Well, will you pay for half and I will never ask for an allowance?"

"Go to bed Tyler, Dad is now tired."

Present score: Tyler 3,Dad Zip! Tyler is already scoring in the 60's on QRZ's practice test for his General class and he is betting he will have his Extra before I do. Of course I am very proud of Tyler but I am also studying hard for my Extra. Now I know that some of you are thinking of how self centered I am being since I have my General already but its not that. I figure that if I can keep one step ahead of him he will always have something to strive for. Not buying that are you?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.