ad: elecraft

OBAMA Care - what is the problem?

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by G4OTU, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
  1. G4OTU

G4OTU Ham Member QRZ Page

Speaking as an inhabitant of a country where healthcare is not dependent upon ability to pay, can someone explain to me just why so many Americans in the "have" camp seem determined to deny anything other than basic emergency treatment to those in the "Have-not" camp?

Is it the fact that your("have") contributions to whatever system you use, may in fact, pay for the treatment of "have-nots" that hurts so much?
    That is certainly the way it looks from outside.

Maybe I misunderstand - but from here a very "dog in the manger" attitude is becoming visible.

2. KK4AMP

KK4AMP Ham Member QRZ Page

It's losing even more of my money to your professional 'have nots' while the quality of the care U part for for myself and loved ones lowers in quality.

I don't think you understand how badly the system is abused over here.

3. KK4AMP

KK4AMP Ham Member QRZ Page

*I pay for myself. Darn phone keyboard.

4. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It is simply a case of giving away government monies—an oxymoron by itself—to buy votes. Yes, it does benefit some folks, but at the great expense of others.

5. AC4UT

AC4UT Ham Member QRZ Page

I may be in danger of losing my company insurance since it will be cheaper for the company to pay the penalty. It's not greed on thier part but survival. My doctor may close his practice because of it, people have already been cut to part time because of it. There are almost as many people riding in the wagon as are pulling it and soon the wagon will stop because of the broken backs of the middle class.

6. KI4NGN

KI4NGN Subscriber QRZ Page

Because the issue is not about healthcare, but healthcare insurance, a private industry product.

Instead of spending billions of tax dollars to subsidize the purchase of healthcare insurance, thus subsidizing those businesses, I don't understand why the government is not building and staffing hospitals and medical centers, using all of the billions to actually provide healthcare to those who can't afford it.

7. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the solution. The government could easily set up clinics and hospitals to take care of the poor, while letting the rest of us have the health care we want. Problem is, that gov't HC system would soon bloat into a nightmare, the gov't doesn't do anything efficiently, or particularly well.

The proposed ACA is not going to solve HC problems in the USA, it will make a few things better, and a lot of things worse, all while costing $300-$500 billion each year. I think that is a hard statement to argue with, since it is true.

Joe

8. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

It's just an objection to be told what to do. Americans don't like it.
    I remember when people objected to be told they had to wear seatbelts in the 1960s.
    I also remember when having insurance became mandatory for cars. Well sort of. Unlike Germany where I was stationed in the late 1960s with the Army if your insurance expired there your care had better be parked at home as the police came and took your plates. That being said if you get caught without insurance you pay fines. My first wife got hit by 4 uninsured drivers before we got married in the 1960s and I have been hit by one, again in the 1960s. and one in the 1980s.
    I think people in our country like to resist change. Look at our gun policies. I like guns too but I think there are many that don't belong in the hands of civilians.
    I will also guess that people resisted Social Security when it came into being but I had not been born yet.
    I also think that one of the biggest reasons people don't like Obama Care is that they don't know that much about it but they will shortly, like it or not.
    I think the Affordable Health Care Act is much like the SS system was at the time and that eventually people will just have to accept it as part of life.
    I think it's needed personally
    That being said I have been fortunate in my work life in that other than the very early days as a teenager I managed to have and keep jobs that had decent health insurance. And that carried over into my retirement. Just lucky I guess.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  9. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

I think, Americans, as a rule, don't like change, fear new things, and you can always tell an American, BUT YOU CAN'T TELL HIM MUCH.

i.e. are, as a rule, quite secure in our isolation and ignorance.

Part of it is this irrational concept of Welfare Queens. The real Welfare Queens are the corporations, at least based on dollars. But corporations have PR departments, WQ's got bupkis.

10. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

We also believe in the right to be utterly ignorant about everything and even respect it....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.