ad: dxeng

North Korean Radio??

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KD7WZW, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KD7WZW

KD7WZW Ham Member QRZ Page

I got a kick out of this..

From the official North Korea website (http://www.korea-dpr.com), I was bored at work and I found that they sell radios!! However I can't tell if its fake, has anyone else seen this type of radio... Obviously its not ideal for amateur use anyway, but I am curious..

Chris

2. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't find what you are talking about. Neat site though.

Brad

3. KI6ZIF

KI6ZIF Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

I'm so Ronery / So ronery / So ronery and sadry arone / There's no one / Just me onry / Sitting on my rittle throne / I work rearry hard and make up get prans / but, nobody listens, no one understands / Seems rike no one takes me serirousry / And so, I'm ronery / A rittle ronery / Poor rittle me / There's no one I can rerate to / Feewr rike a biwd in a cage / It's kinda siwry / but, not reawry / because, it's fiwring my body with rage / I'm the smartest, most crever, most physicawry fit / but, nobody erse seems to rearrize it / When I can the worrd maybe they'rr notice me / And untiwr then, I'wr be ronery / Yeaaaaah, a rittle ronery / Poor rittle me...

5. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member QRZ Page

I lived in Korea (South) for a year in 1997.

Those North Koreans have a hard enough time growing rice. I'm sure that little radio works just fine. I'll leave it at that.

Don't try to buy one though. If export CBs can't cut the mustard.....well, you get the idea.

6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure anything that comes out of N. Korea smells like charcoal and burnt rubber, that smell that screams "made in a workers paradise". I would expect anything they make to pretty much be junk.

Looks like ol Kim my have dropped one in his mess kit by sinking that South Korean ship.

7. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it legal to even buy anything from NK? I know we can't export technology there.

8. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I Want YOU !

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

I see. Pretty much junk eh ! That's why the US government is a little concerned about the fact they have rather good inter ballistic missiles and may well have nuclear warheads, and torpedo's which work, but as you say the radio's may be a bit crappy.

G0GQK

10. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Nobody can beat China for good cheap stuff. It's all delicate, but it works great! I love me some Chinese people.

11. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Apart from the radio, did anyone look at some of the fun stuff on the DPRK? I particually love the concpet of Juche....

Any of you read that gobblygook and make sense of it? I mean, he makes EST sound like the declaration of independence.

Rather an interesting place - rock walls often spontaniously grow the sayings of the great or dear leader - and in remote places.

Of course, there's almost no electricity, nearly no food, but darn, they are "Free" - free to starve, free to work for the gov't, free to die young.

Offically, no one starves in DPRK - there is no code used by Dr. in the hospital for "Starvation" - it's offically forbidden to starve to death in N. Korea, the workers Paradise. It's amazing but N. Korea makes CUBA look really good.

12. KA4DPO

I suspect that the majority of their military hardware is also outdated junk. Any missiles they might have that actually work were probably purchased from some other country. And as for nuclear weapons, they have never actually demonstrated a successful test. However, in the event that they actually were able to detonate a nuke, China would most likely be be the first responder and the result would be ugly.

Back to the radio. I seriously doubt that the government on North Korea would want their people to have short wave radios that would give them access to news from outside the bamboo curtain. If they do have one I bet it only operates on one frequency, theirs.....:rolleyes:

13. N5PVL

N5PVL Ham Member QRZ Page

I would guess that the only "Ham Radio" in North Korea would be akin to the stations you hear out of Cuba... Only the ones who kiss up to the regime in a big way and are willing to rat out on others get to play.

14. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Not exactly

North Korea has both operational scuds and ICBMs. Hawaii is within range of the latter. Last year they successfully fired off multiple missiles and exploded a nuclear bomb underground. They also have the largest Special Ops Forces of any country in the world.

Those of us over here don't poke a stick at them.

From the Land of the Morning Calm (South Korea)

Jim N3AWS

15. NA0AA

Of course, when I saw the thread title, the song "Mexican Radio" went right into my head..."I wanna North Korean....Radio.....North Korean.....Radio"

I wonder if you can only communicate to your far right?

16. N0WYO

N0WYO Ham Member QRZ Page

Somebody out of South America is hosting the site. Not sure who though. :confused:

Yeah, the Shr radio company has been around for a while. I've heard of 'em. :rolleyes:

17. KA4DPO

You evidently didn't see the news. The underground test was a failure. Also, assuming they had a few nukes that worked how many of them do you think they could fire at Hawaii before being turned into a slag heap? It just doesn't seem worth it somehow.

I have not heard an amateur signal out of NK in quite a few years. I remember there was one guy about ten years ago who was somehow able to operate for about a week before they arrested him and confiscated his equipment.

18. N0WYO

N0WYO Ham Member QRZ Page

That test took place sometime ago, and I wouldn't be surprised if Kim has had some help from the middle east and elsewhere in correcting the problem.

KIM Jong Il is a nutjob, and wouldn't hesitate pushing the button if he was motivated enough. since taking power in 1994 he's taunted the south, by abducting their citizens, arbitrarily obstructing air and sea traffic, and lately, by sinking a south Korean warship. Right now the north and south are closer to war than they have been in 50 years. Give this guy another 10 years and I think it's gonna happen. He probably doesn't need that long.

But we digress...:)

Did you hear this guy in North Korea? I'm curious. He must have known he was going to get caught. What would you say under those conditions?

19. NA0AA

"I hope you are a good shot."

20. SV9OFO

SV9OFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, took an European to point that out. This is sad.

Well, 1st test was called a fizzle,albelt definately nuclear,
    but their 2nd test did yield about the Hiroshima's TNT equivalent,
    according to Russia.

But probably they have problems on the physics p. given the quality of today's technology, that stop them from packing it up as a warhead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_North_Korean_nuclear_test#Yield

Deterrence and self-esteem are their only purpose.
    They wouldn't fire a bomb at anywhere anyway. Not when there are so many hundreds of warheads preset to be deployed over their heads.:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.