ad: TinyPaddle-1

North Carolina is working on a "Distracted Driving" Bill

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4KWH, May 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K2EZ

K2EZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's all very heavy about TXTing and cell phones. Where in there is the data on two way radio?

I think we all agree TXTing is a major problem.

Why specifically permit cell phone calls as a matter of law as long as its hands free? Especially since the data shows no significant difference in the level of distraction. I've heard some justify this saying it is the same as having a passenger, which it is not.

It is all fine and dandy to say every distraction must be eliminated, but lets get real, what is acceptable and what isn't?

Listening to broadcast radio?

Listening to an audio book?

Keeping just one hand on the wheel?

Adjusting radio volume?

Adjusting climate control?

Rolling down a window?

Listening to a talk show on the radio?

Listening to chatter on the local repeater?

Listening to a net on HF?

Talking with a passenger?

Small kids in the car?

What about daydreaming?

And given the risks of driving how many drive unnecessarily to begin with? The numbers are simply huge

And lets say theoretically one has two hands on the wheel, every other external stimuli has been eliminated, at that point does one's mind wander off into its own world? One starts daydreaming? Is that more or less "distracting" than listening to a HF net?

Just perhaps some stimuli can keep people more present in their driving than no stimuli?

This link here makes reference to one source connection 62% of fatalities to mind wandering as compared to 12% for cell phones. That is quite incredible. Outside that
    https://labs.psych.ucsb.edu/schoole...n/files/pubs/mind_wandering_while_driving.pdf

Another one on mind wandering
    https://www.consumeraffairs.com/new...d-wandering-when-behind-the-wheel-090617.html

Essentially tests show that everyone is subject to it. I am not an expert on the subject but one thing very clear to me is that mind wandering doesn't get reduced by eliminating other distractions. As one cuts down on stimuli that maintains focus, one increases the amount of mind wandering.

One clear way to address mind wandering is simply push speeds up to point where people must be focused on the road. Is that safer?

I wouldn't dream of operating a radio on the belt parkway on long island most times of day. On the other hand on the open road of central PA with hardly a car around, if I didn't have some stimulus to keep my mind in the vehicle, I might as well be sleeping behind the wheel given how my mind will wander.

It all has to be put in perspective Top distraction I would say is texting. Second I would say kids. Third I would say is cell phone calls (hands on or hands free no difference). Ham radio is down around distraction #42.

And what is really incredible, is that for as distracting as it is, having small kids in the car is legal to do, not only legal, but gasp..... people are allowed to have distracting small kids in the car while there are kids in the car!!

When it comes to driving, it is a matter of relative risks. Getting in the car in the first place poses the biggest risk to you and to others. After that, what is acceptable.

Cell phones are unequivocally an issue and this was obvious long before TXTing came into the picture. So long as society makes the judgment that having a cell phone call is acceptable while driving, even hands free, to go claim ham radio is a bigger problem that should be banned mobile is ridiculous.

AC5RH, W4QBQ, KK6VLV and 1 other person like this.
  2. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

and a few weeks ago I had one of our local police pull up next to me at a stop light.
    he was creeping very slowly into the intersection slowly while concentrating on his combat style laptop., with lots of traffic going thru their green lite
    I just had to honk and watched him slam on the brakes
    then got an imediate dirty look. I had to look away quick as I couldnt prevent a good laugh
    It was priceless
    but the point is a trained professional couldnt control his car at a stop light

KP4SX likes this.
  3. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Get a grip on reality. It is called DISTRACTED DRIVING. Hams are not entitled to anything.

N6HCM and W4HM like this.
  4. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Redundant post from page 3!

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

If the FCC mandated exams and issued licenses to cellphone users the accident numbers would probably drop significantly.

K2NCC likes this.
  6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

CORRECT. Almost every cellphone has GPS.

From there, it is a simple matter to compute speed over ground. software could easily be embedded to disable the phone at speeds (say) over 20 mph.

No lawmaker will do this because it would end their career.

7. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Cell phone is a duplex conversation. Much more distracting then a simplex conversation of a two way radio. Even cell phone with a Bluetooth ear bud in more distracting, the the simplex conversation on the radio. I am also not texting on my radio.

KK6VLV and K2EZ like this.
  8. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

That is at the heart of the whole issue: it is that DUPLEX nature that is the problem. It, by its very nature, drags the participant into becoming wholly engaged in THAT activity rather than driving the car. The SIMPLEX two way radio does no such thing! IF there were "distracted driving" that was directly attributable to two way radio, then it would done so during the CB craze of the 70's and become an issue THEN. There were NO cell phones then. So where was all this "distracted driving" back then? The two way radio (CB, amateur, commercial two way radio lumped together) did not cause the distraction that the cell phone is causing NOW. The naked truth is, restricting amateur radio (or any form of two way radio) will not have ANY impact on reducing driving distracted. This is why I call out those who trumpet their "statistics"on cell phones that DO have a definite impact on the issue and attempt to find guilt by some flawed association by implying that two way radios have the SAME impact. The point here also is, EVERYTHING in a car can be a distraction to one degree or another. Adjusting the A/C, turning down the FM radio, looking at a pretty girl along the side of the road--any one of these things could be a distraction. So to WHAT degree is each of these activities an impact on driving? If we as a society are not willing to exercise personal responsibility, be able to judge what one should not do while driving, then why not just outlaw DRIVING? Let's PUNISH everybody for the mistakes of the few because thats what we are doing if we punish lawfully FCC licensees for engaging in an activity that, for 70-odd years has NEVER had ANY real impact on driving. Yeah, that's the "ticket" (pun)! That'll fix everything! HORSE ****! Out of both sides of our hypocritical mouths we want to write ham volunteers tickets, then out the other, ask us to come help in a disaster that just knocked out communications.

The most glaring fact about this is, it doesn't do a damn thing to curb distracted driving! Go after that driver that's driving 50 on a 70 MPH highway! The driver that's swerving back and forth trying to DIAL! The one sitting at the stoplight and won't start on green!:mad: THAT'S distracted, not talking on a mike! I have NEVER been "shied" out of my lane by someone on a MIKE!;)

KK6VLV likes this.
  9. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Guess you never heard of Text, emails, or scanning frequencies on a radio.

10. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

If it is so bad, why did they not do it in the 70 with the CB craze.

11. NK4K

NK4K Ham Member QRZ Page

South Carolina had one of these bills in last session. Thank Maxim the seasonal session ended before this bill could reach committee, so it's essentially dead. Lawmakers lately have been batting 1000 when it comes to bills with unintended consequences. Ours targeted cellular "texters" who take their eyes off the road for minutes at the time, seemingly, but the way it was worded encompassed all ham, CB, and FRN activities including transmitting from your vehicle while parked at the state park or gas station.
    Two things increase immunity to careless legislation, but only BEFORE passage: 1) Ask you lawmaker how many wrecks amateur radio operators caused lately (zero here, for more than 40 years), and 2) our clubs give seminars on how to drive while using our rigs.
    If you (and I) don't fight 'em, we'll regret 'em.
    Good luck!

12. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Some make the distinction between the mechanics of different means/method of communication but, don't consider the THOUGHT PROCESS involved in a conversation. A person can be distracted, no matter the method of communication. As well, some can handle it better than others. Certainly, as hams, we don't have any requirement of simultaneously operating a 2-way radio and a lethal vehicle. Do you want to take a chance that someone else is concentrating enough to avoid damage/injury to you?

K2NCC likes this.
  13. K2EZ

K2EZ Ham Member QRZ Page

So why should ham radio be effectively banned while cell phone use becomes protected as a matter of law? Cause this is what these bills are about, insuring cell phone use is specifically codified and protected under specific conditions. The phony baloney does not "hands free" claim that it makes it all good, when it in fact does practically nothing as far as the distraction, while at the same time criminalizing use of a microphone, the simplest, least distracting way of using a two way radio. California law even specifically permits single single touch or swipe actions when using a cell phone.

KK6VLV likes this.
  14. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

IMO, neither should be protected for the purpose of non-emergency use and/or use w/o qualification. For example, in order to legally operate a m/c or tractor-trailer, I'm required to pass qualification testing beyond basic vehicle operation.

15. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Simple it is a number game. In the 70's CB's numbers were in the 10's of Thousands, and Distracted Driving crashes and deaths were number 3 that did not catch public safety orgs or the public attention. Today Distracted Driving with 10's of millions of cell phones has leaped way out in front and took over number 1 from Impaired Driving as the leading cause of crashes and death. It is now Public Safety Orgs and Public Attention enemy #1 on the radar.

Impaired driving does not mean drunk. The Police and Law does not care if it is alcohol, weed, pills, cocaine, hereon, or glue. It is categorized as Impaired driving or DUI. Cell Phones, CB's, Hams Radio, Tablets, Navigation, or your girl friend is categorized as Distracted Driving and since Distracted Driving is now the #1 cause of crashes and deaths is going to get the most attention as preventable. You kill someone is still Manslaughter and you will go to prison for murder just like a drunk driver would.

Sorry guys but you are on the loosing side of the argument like it or not and cannot win.Until all states legalize weed and recreational drugs, Distracted Driving is number 1. So vote dope.