ad: QuirkyQRP-1

North Carolina is working on a "Distracted Driving" Bill

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4KWH, May 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

NC Senator Jeff Tarte of Mecklenburg County has sponsored S-393 which, in its present form, would severely restrict the use of a handheld device, AND without saying so, the use of a hand mike. I learned this thru the local news last week. I spoke with his office in Raleigh, and I have been assured by his secretary that there will be revision providing an exemption to licensed two way radio users! Apparently others have already advised his office that the way it is now written, S-393 could possible cause lawsuits and actions in Federal Court. So this pending revision, if I am being told truthfully, is good news.

Also in January, I wrote a Mr Scott Stone of the Wireless /Licensing Bureau asking for a Declaratory Ruling that would clarify current FCC regulations, and, if necessary, provide a Federal exemption for amateurs, CB operators, and commercial licensees. Perhaps it is so that any exemption would only apply to Part 97, and other users *may* have to apply under their sections and Parts of Title 47. Thus far I haven't received any response from Mr. Stone. I am about re-submit the letter.

At least, here's one more state that is responding to common sense and advice of the amateur community.

KB0YYO, KA4JCD, K4PDQ and 3 others like this.
  2. NI4TG

NI4TG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I heard other states enacting this type of new law, have had to revise it to accommodate hams. Although an exemption would surely be added after passing, this bill could conceivably prevent ARES support and emergency communication for a while, if not done right the first time. NC hams should have already contacted their representatives about this or do so now.

KA4JCD likes this.
  3. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps,.......................... thats because.................................. this "news" is three years old.

N2EY, W4KJG and N4DJT like this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

6. NI4TG

NI4TG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Brian Garlock Act (bill) is referred to committee I believe. A cursory Google search shows hams issued tickets due to law enforcement misunderstanding states distracted driving laws. Was that a cq or an emergency while at the stoplight, hi hi.

7. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Thankyou. That is what I thought. I spend about half my time at my QTH in NC. It has not come up at our club in a long long time.

ND6M likes this.
  8. WY7RF

WY7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

Be careful. The boneheads in Virginia were going to pass a similar law with an exemption for CB'ers but NOT for hams. The bill was rescinded.

N9LYA likes this.
  9. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Oregon turds did the same thing, they exempted cb'rs but not hams.

To get around this some hams who exclusively use 2/440 are now installing cb radios but it still doesn't help when OSP stops a vehicle for no other reason except for having antennas on their vehicle.

10. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably not. In an actual emergency, I'm sure the conditions would be considered before being cited. I'd wager most cops are reasonable people. Not that it really matters, I'd take a ticket if it meant saving a life.

I'm in Oregon, do you mean HB2597? Licensed ops are exempt. (source)

That sounds like an urban legend.

Our focus should be on that 2000lb+ killing machine we're driving instead of playing with the radio anyway. Checking in to the net ain't worth the risk (or much else usually.)

K2NED, WD0BCT, N8TGQ and 5 others like this.
  11. KB6QXM

KB6QXM Ham Member QRZ Page

California has basically made mobile ham radio illegal unless you are parked. No ham radio exemption. No hands free exemption.

12. WY7RF

WY7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

It's Kalifornia. No suprise here.

13. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I just checked in short time. How could that be distracting? (typed in my special sarcasm font that not many amateur radio operators seem to have installed on the computers.)

14. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Why should there be an exemption for Hams? You are just as deadly as a cell phone user.

W4QBQ, N8TGQ, N6HCM and 3 others like this.
  15. WW4GW

WW4GW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't understand .... if I take me handheld radio, plug a power cord from it into the cigarette lighter socket and a coax run to the magmount on top, then hold my radio in my left hand, tune it and/or adjust volume with my right hand, and hold it in front of my face so I can talk on it while driving down the interstate at 70+mph what could possibly go wrong? (Tongue in cheek!)

K2NED, N6HCM, NH6RF and 1 other person like this.