Norfolk Va. tower drop

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by K5UJ, Sep 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good advice to remember.
    It looked to me like he had a torch on it and was cutting it.

N0TZU likes this.
  2. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been involved in a few tower takedowns as a consultant. In those cases we hire a salvage crew with an acetylene cutting torch and had him cut one of the anchor bolts either at ground level or at the top of the anchor pier. It appears this cutter cut the anchor bolt at the top of the pier.

Anchor Guy Anchor.jpg

We insist cutters wear a hockey mask or a football helmet. In most cases the bolt simply lifts toward the falling direction.

If you want the tower to come down on itself and don't care about any adjacent buildings, we place about n-number sticks of dy-no-mite at the base, back way off behind a barrier, and blast the base.

Salvage companies and Quarries are great people with which to associate.

Pheel

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    N0TZU and W2VW like this.
  3. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I know it makes no economic sense to do it but I'm always sad when a station owner lets a small tower drop, usually an unpainted 12 to 24 inch face up high on the band, because the bottom section and insulator may be useful for a ham.

4. KD0DQZ

KD0DQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Got to watch this 1,000 footer come down this past spring:

N0TZU and KC9ONY like this.
  5. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That looked like a TV tower. I saw what looked like a slot antenna, although I know very little about TV. Usually a high power antenna is made by companies like Dielectric and are 50 to 100 feet tall and weigh 10 to 20 tons. Notice how it really plowed a ditch in the ground when it hit.

6. KD0DQZ

KD0DQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Righto...TV tower. Erected in 1958. It was used by the TV station until a couple of years ago as well as the FM where I work. The TV was taken off the air and we were the only tenant. Since our parent company owns a similar tower a couple miles away, it made sense to move our facility rather than pay rent. The TV's parent company tried to sell the stick to no avail (if it had been LOTS newer it might have been disassembled)...so down it came. I was watching from the spot where the final sequence was shot. Certainly not something you get to see every day.

7. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

It is sad.

I prefer to jack it up and save the base insulator and lightning balls, but sometimes the owner doesn't want to save anything or pay for the extra time in removing those items.

I try to remind them that a base insulator removal could pay for itself on the replacement market.

Pheel

8. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I went to the link and there is no video there. Tried two different browsers.

9. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

10. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Both still work FB for me. I am using a mac and Firefox.