Non-destructive Windows reinstallation

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N2IZE, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing to remember  NTFS will on encrypted files without that key you are up Z creek without Z paddle, if someone wants to do backup in XP there is a program on the disk called  Valueadd folder.

there are 3rd party programs also out there.

for the person who has not read the COMP TIA A+ Program there is a reason NTFS was created to make it more secure against espionage. same reason when you do your business on line for a secured session.

also if you have no protection such as a security set from Firewall to Virus Scan, a virus will latch onto anything and will jump back on the Hard Drive.  and you is a sitting duck !

2. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Day,
    The last post raised a question for me. Is it possible to get a Virus from anything other than a download or opening an email attachment?
    Rob WA9UAA

3. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Corrupted files. Hopefully its not the result of:

-Virus, Spyware, or the like.
    -Hard disk slowly going south
    -Windows update going awry.

I figure you probably checked all of them, but usually bad files is something like this. Hopefully if it was a disk issue windows was smart enough to mark the sectors bad.

May not be a bad idea if you have the disk space somewhere to maybe commit those photos and stuff you backed up to some other form of media anyway. If they truely have that many, I wouldn't want them to suddenly go poof if the hard disk suddenly craters hard.

I recently invested in a "network storage" backup device that backs up every machine once a day. I also commit pictures to CD about every 6 months or so (the new ones) so if I have a bad crash, I don't lose the entire thing. CD is a good medium for secondary backup if its stored right.

I've just seen way too many people lose a bunch of stuff because they assume it will never go away, and then suddenly it does. I remember in the old days where a lot of people selling a computer would suggest backup-most people would, of course, poo-poo it off, but at least it was suggested. With all the devices that dump data into a computer nowadays, its more important than ever!

Make copies, multiple copies, and do it on a regular schedule!

4. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, there are, though a properly protected windows install currently patched SHOULD be resistant.

Some websites will try to send stuff to your computer, though most will require some kind of user verification to 'initiate' the install.

The only one I can think of offhand that self installs (there are others, but supposedly a properly patched system isn't subject to them) is the blaster worm. If you have a real old version of XP you may get this upon hooking to the internet, it may not be a bad idea to have a copy of the patch on a disk to install first before doing so if you're in this case. There are some others, but most of those are picked up by good, UPDATED windows and UPDATED antivirus software. Many people install it, but fail to update it! It should be checked at least weekly to ensure its current.

Basically, the advice I give anyone is that if someone comes to you or emails you with something that, in real life, would be too good to be true, its probably viral.

There is a lot of disinformation on the net also about this topic. You can get 50 different opinions. But a good antivirus, firewall (or combo "internet protection" package that has both) is not a bad idea. Spyware scanning and blocking is also a good idea.

But most of all, installing windows patches is very important, as those usually patch the holes that would allow something bad to be executed without your intervention. Yes, sometimes windows releases a patch that does more harm than good, but I'd rather take that chance than have something open ;)

Opinions will vary, trust me.

One other thing: There is information requested on the internet (like passwords and stuff) that you would never EVER give to anyone, yet on the internet people do it. NO NO NO!
    The sooner people understand that, the sooner we'll have much less stuff popping up that requires all this anti-stuff to prevent it!

5. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Joshua,
    Thanks for the detailed reply, I am running behind a cable modem with a fire wall and of course watch my downloads. I never use I.E. or Outlook.
    Rob WA9UAA

6. WA3KYY

WA3KYY Ham Member QRZ Page

Done that dozens of times on different machines. It has been a life saver.

Did you set up the automatic checkpoint restore function? That might save even more time if it happens again on that machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.