No power in my neighborhood; GREAT HF!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4EAE, Jun 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Junk is made everywhere, including right in my neighborhood. You should have seen the disaster the lines were before the trees ever fell on them.

2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I take all my vacation time at once in September each year and head to New York's Adirondack Mountains for tent camping, fishing, hiking, and ham radio. It's such a joy to listen to the bands without the clutter and sometimes crippling annoyance of urban manmade noise!

I've met and become friends with a few other hams who also "camp ADK." They frequently remark about it being radio heaven, too.

3. W4EAE

UPDATE:

Power was restored at 03:46 on Saturday. The power company sent a tree removal company that got there around 20:00 on Friday. They made short work of the job, and had disappeared by 20:45. Around 22:30, a single man from the power company arrived in a pickup truck, spied the land, and said he would have a crew out to restore power. At this point, I went to bed (87 degrees F in the house, 85 degrees outside). I woke to noise from another violent storm at 03:55 (with soaked bed sheets), and the alarm clock next to the bed read 00:09. Worried that I might loose power again, I set the split unit in the bedroom down to 60 degrees. Luckily, the power stayed on.

Woke up after sunrise to discover some great news! I switched the HF rig on, expecting that my noise issues would have returned with the power. What I saw was a dark blue waterfall with numerous visible QSOs. I found at least one that I could read perfectly at ~S1.5!

It turns out that my noise issues were not due to cheap Chinese circuits, LEDs, powerline, or any of the usual culprits: it was the power company's transformer on the pole at the corner of my back yard that was luckily smashed by a tree. With it being so high on a pole, I guess that is why I was having trouble locating the specific source of the noise.

Two days of sweating so much that I wasn't even producing urine turned out to be a radio blessing.:)

W4POT, WZ7U and N0TZU like this.
  4. W4EAE

The FCC under Pai:

Financial Conservation for Corporations (foreign and domestic).

WU8Y likes this.
  5. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Luck didn't enter into it... The radio "god" has spoken!

On a serious note, I used to hear back in the 1980's about how there was a high noise level in cities like NY, LA, Chicago. In the suburbs, our S-meters happily bounced along at S1 or S2. Life was good.

Now noise in the suburbs is S6-S9 and the cities are horrendous with noise, but I hear how all is quiet in the country. Well, enjoy it while ya got it.

I will say that I knocked 2-3 S-units off the noise when I added a common mode choke near my radio. Didn't solve the problem, but it made 80 and 40 usable, at least for now.

6. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

When working on one of the awards I couldn't hear stations I needed/wanted. So pack it all up, went to a nearby Corp.Engineer sites nearby. They were real live flush toilets and power outlets!! Got several of those stations I couldn't get in town. The power company replaced the lines in the neighborhood and I thought great, no more noise! Wrong. The stuff seemed to be louder! After enough time for the new stuff to sort of 'weather in', things were a little better. Take what you can get, I guess.
    Also used to wait till after dark and take a sledge hammer out to the pole in the alley. Give it good hard whack and things would settle down, some. Hey, whatever works...
    Oh! Most of my radio gear is that 'japanese stuff'. Can't say it was cheap, but it also wasn't junk!