"No PAYPAL" = Scammer ?

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by N7MTC, Dec 31, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

As a buyer, PayPal is great. As a seller, WAY too many problems for me to continue with them.

N7MTC likes this.
  2. K3LI

K3LI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Paypal is terrible. It in no way protects a seller. If you sell me something and I pay you with paypal, I can easily end up with the item and your money. Its extremely simple to do.

Here is how easy it is:

1: You sell me your FTDX 2500000 for $3000 dollars.
    2: I send payment via Paypal.
    3: You ship the radio in a 27 pound package.
    4: I get your radio and file a complaint with Paypal stating its broken, not as represented and Im returning it to you.
    5: Radio gets sent back via Paypal shipping number which they track.
    6: You get a 27 pound box back. You open the box and its a couple of bricks or what ever, as long as the weight is close.
    7: Paypal sees that the box is delivered and refunds your money to me.
    8: Bingo, I have your FTDX 2500000 and have my 3000 bucks back.

You complain to Paypal. They dont care. You must prove that you did not receive the radio back, and that will be very very difficult, if not impossible to do.
    Me, I have a tracking number that says you signed for it.

This my friend, is why I will purchase via paypal, but will not sell via paypal.

3. N7MTC

N7MTC Ham Member QRZ Page

wow people do some crazy stuff. Thanks for the education

4. K4PDM

K4PDM Ham Member QRZ Page

Paypal means the seller must trust the buyer.
    Money order or check in advance means the buyer must trust the seller.
    What is the difference?
    Paypal makes life easier for everyone, even old people.

5. K3LI

K3LI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Paypal in no way protects a seller. If you think it does. Sell me your HT for 1000 dollars. Within a week, I will have our HT and my money.
    Paypal is a joke if your a seller.

6. KD2BBC

KD2BBC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi there it's matter of trust and how much money is involved, me myself sometimes i sold stuff on here and not accepting paypal when the item has a low margin of profit perhaps a big lost on the item already and already discounted what's the point of having pay pal cause that would be too much lost for the seller.... i am aware of lot of rip offs and scam on here but you need to do your maths 1st before you proceed to buy an item... i bought stuffs here and buyers asking me for money order and i trusted the buyer before i proceed i do my maths prior before sending the money order so far so good it all worked out well and vice versa...

in my opinion there more good and honest hams on QRZ than scammers or dishonest hams.... so far it's a great experience for me on the ZED, i have sold for couple of thousands and i have bought for a few thousands as well.
    JUST BE CAREFUL KNOW WHO ARE YOU DEALING AND IF THEY ARE REALLY WHO THEY SAY THEY ARE AND MAKE YOUR SEARCH THAT'S ALL... ALSO IF YOU'RE SELLING STUFFS MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A TRACKING NUMBER AND ALSO SIGNATURE REQUIRED.

N7MTC likes this.
  7. K4PDM

K4PDM Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess you didn't read my post very closely. I said "Paypal means the seller must trust the buyer."
    And offering to scam me does not reflect very well on you, but that's OK.

N7MTC likes this.
  8. AC0TX

AC0TX Subscriber QRZ Page

I prefer to pay via a personal check sent to a ham's FCC registered address, and I tell them keep my check for three weeks to make sure it clears. I also tell'em that I am the Board Secretary for two clubs [with a link] and I have a reputation to protect

Works every time

On Ebay though it is PayPal all the time as I can see how many complaints a seller has

N7MTC likes this.
  9. KC7I

KC7I Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree completely that sellers get shafted regularly at paypal.
    Another way they get you that hasn't been mentioned is that they will hold your money for no good reason for as long as 90 days! But YOU are still required to ship what you sold, even though you haven't been payed and won't be for quite a while.
    They say that this is for "security" but in fact that money goes into a big fund that is invested and you don't see any of the profits.
    Sellers aren't the only ones at risk, though. When I first tried out ebay, I didn't much like that paypal would keep my credit card information stored. So, I opened a bank account just for paypal/ebay, with it's own debit card. I'm very cautious with my financial information.
    I bought something, and then left it alone as there was nothing else I wanted. After about a week, my bank's fraud department called me to tell me they had denied a transaction that had used that card to send over one thousand dollars using Western Union. They asked me if it was my transaction. Of course it wasn't, and as I was saying so it came through that they were trying it again!
    The card number was cancelled and I wasn't out anything. I wouldn't have been anyway as I left only a token amount in the account. But, when I tried to notify paypal of the problem, they completely denied that my card info came from them! Paypal was the only place I used that card, and they tried to say that it was somehow my fault, that I did something that let someone get the number! I did, I used paypal!
    Anybody can get hacked. I can work with that. Target and others are proof of that, but to deny the problem makes them a high security risk for me, so no paypal here.
    Also be aware that they retain your credit card and bank account information even if you remove it from your account, as I had right after I made the purchase.
    I will NEVER use paypal. Period.

N7MTC likes this.
  10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

There are alternatives to PayPal. You could use Square and take a credit card, Google wallet allows for transfers. And I have used Paypal for hundreds of transactions and not a single problem.

Bottom line, if you don't take PayPal, you're shifting the "scam" burden to the buyer. And at least on eBay we can see a seller's (or buyer's) history.

Steve
    KV6O

N7MTC likes this.