No Baofengs Allowed

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA4DPO, Apr 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you have a legal right. But why are you excluding a certain element solely based on their equipment? Can not a Kenwood, Yaesu or Icom (I guess YaeComWood is now frowned upon here at QRZ) user be just as obnoxious or abusive on your repeater?

2. N4NJJ

N4NJJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Then the argument can be made that amateur radio isn't the hobby for you. Plenty of people want to have hobbies that they can't afford. Guess what? If they can't afford it, they don't do it. If you can't afford quality gear to operate on modes and repeaters that require it, that's on you. You shouldn't be name calling and throwing terms like elitist out. Get a part-time job, if it's that big of a concern.
    DPO, he's a new ham that knows everything already. He proved the point I have been making this entire thread. I see a lot of entitlement in this forum. No, you're not entitled to use my repeater. No, ham radio isn't for you, if you can't afford proper equipment that does advanced modes. Don't be name calling because you can't afford something. That's on you.

W4IOA and WA9SVD like this.
  3. N4NJJ

N4NJJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, of course they can; HOWEVER, in our experience... again... we're talking about a LOCAL issue, the vast majority of offenders have been Baofeng users. In reality, we've banned just about anyone who isn't running commercial equipment because the repeater requires MDC access.

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, an "OPEN" repeater means it IS by definition, open to ALL properly licensed operators. Otherwise, it is NOT an open repeater.
    And a public road means just that; you or I can transverse that roadway. You can NOT just say only autos with this or that can drive on such a highway. Yes, if it is a private driveway, but if it is a public thoroughfare, you can't restrict passage.

Now, if you desire your repeater to be "closed," then you will have to take that up your local coordinator, and no longer be considered or listed as "open." As far as I'm concerned, in your neck of the woods, no great loss.

VE3KDO likes this.
  5. VE3KDO

VE3KDO Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow! This thread still going on? lol

KF5RRF and N4NJJ like this.
  6. KF5RRF

KF5RRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Twenty-eight pages of absolutely nothing accomplished.

I'm not sure, but can pointless bickering be considered an accomplishment?

Since no one is budging on either side of this argument, please...

[​IMG]

WB0MPB, AG4RT and KD2ACO like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.