No Baofengs Allowed

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA4DPO, Apr 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM6BNX

KM6BNX Ham Member QRZ Page

Great info, Thanks. My local club is having a field day in June, sounds fun.
    I like the Yaesu FT-60R specs so far, fits my budget and is a quality product.

N4NJJ likes this.
  2. N4NJJ

N4NJJ Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-60R is the best starter handheld for a rookie. Grab it.

3. NQ4T

NQ4T Ham Member QRZ Page

I think if you read most of those people they are as closed minded as you.

All you're doing is promoting this hatred and segregation in ham. That's not what the hobby needs. If you were to said this to me last year; I probably would have walked away and called you an elitist...the same way I do with audio guys that go on about McIntosh. It does no good. You might have 20 or 30 people backing your decision; but you're totally blind to the rest of the people who think you're a jerk...and your initial reasoning is really selfish. It really is.

Most of the problems with audio on Baofengs is the fact people don't set them to wide mode. But no...rather than try to figure out a solution; you're just going to ban an entire group of people. I'm not going to mention what other group of people takes that solution...all we know is it's not worked out the way they wanted and they now have a bigger idiot leading the sheep.

That's not something to be proud of; and the fact you are makes me sick to my stomach.

I mean, you can do what you want..that's fine. But the rest of us also have the right to let you know how much of a jerk you are; how much of an embarrassment you are to ham radio; and how with your attitude, you shouldn't be qualified to be a youth corrdinator. Hell...if I had kids...I don't care how much a good radio was....I'd never let my kid be mentored by someone who takes such an elitist attitude.

K1FBI and WB0MPB like this.
  4. N4NJJ

Think what you want, but there are certain standards. Maybe as a new ham you should learn them before shooting your mouth off...

W4IOA likes this.
  5. NO0D

NO0D Ham Member QRZ Page

Where are the moderators?

This nonsense should have been closed. It has turned into a name calling cesspool. I tried to make light, but at some point just close the thread.

N4NJJ likes this.
  6. NO0D

NO0D Ham Member QRZ Page

Honestly, if you are in a leadership position with the ARRL, you should be more professional as you represent all of the paying members. Myself included.

7. N4NJJ

Tell me about it, people been hating on our group because we're exercising our LEGAL right to have a closed repeater. We're not jerks, we're tired of trying to educate the un-teachable... and if people actually read the thread all the way through, they'd understand.

W4IOA likes this.
  8. NO0D

NO0D Ham Member QRZ Page

I have read it in its entirety. You are just as guilty as anyone else.

Nobody looks good in this nonsense.

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, your "cheap" Yaesu'or Kenwood or Icom may be cheap. but would be a significant chunk of the monthly payment from Social (in)Security for some older hams. And thanks to congress critters, (more like vermin) there has been no cost of living increase for S/S this year, despite their increasing their own salaries on a yearly basis. But a $150 FT-60R STILL costs as much as 3 or four Baofengs.

10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have to jump in on this one. First of all you live here in Northern VA so why do you care about a private repeater in Nevada? Also, I completely fail to see how he is promoting anything other than stating his opinion regarding a particular radio and the fact that some of the types who use them are a nuisance. Before you go calling me an elitist you need to know that I have taught ham classes here in my area and have helped large number of new amateurs for many years and still do.

You might be under the impression that all repeaters have to be open to anyone with a license. A repeater is private property and the owner/control operator has every right to restrict access for any reason. There is nothing selfish about it, just because you have a drivers license doesn't mean I have to let you drive my car. Your response seems to be kind of over the top and more than a tad angry at someone who is just exercising his right to restrict access to his repeater.

He is entitled to an opinion just like you are and just because his opinion doesn't mesh with yours does not make him bad or an elitist, it just makes him a ham with a different opinion than yours.

If you ever need help let me know, all of my info is right here on QRZ and I don't even care what kind of radio you have.

N4NJJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.