No Baofengs Allowed

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA4DPO, Apr 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KM6BNX

KM6BNX Ham Member QRZ Page

New Ham looking for knowledge, open to learning.

What other budget radios, (For beginners) would be recommended by the more experienced HT users?
    N4NJJ states one of his main radio is a Motorola APX 7000 3.5 UHF/VHF 1.
    That's way out of my price range, Really, it is.

Recommendations???

2. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're referring to the testing the ARRL did over four years at the Dayton Hamvention, the results are on Page 74 of the November 2015 issue of QST. The testing the ARRL did was for compliance with Section 97.307(e) setting forth standard for spurious emissions. They tested 186 Baofeng HTs over the four years with an average of 28% being compliant, 21% being "borderline" and 50% non-compliant. Margin of error ± 1%

3. N4NJJ

N4NJJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Motorala's can be had for less than $100.00. In fact, there is a dealer locally that is selling XTS-3000 (P25/FM) fully programmed for Las Vegas for less than $100.00. Motorola Radius portables can be had for less than $75.00. If you insist on having something brand new, one of the best amateur-tiered radios is the FT-60R, which is $149.00 brand new.
    Actually, I've been quite successful in mentoring youth. I even maintain a fleet of quality loaner radios. Besides, CPO's point is moot because parents will spend $100s of dollars on experiences and other items. I think most can afford a $150 brand-new FT-60R.

4. KG4NEL

KG4NEL Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't own any Baofengs, but this guy needs another hobby, a girlfriend, or some combination of the two.

WB0MPB and K1FBI like this.
  5. KG4NEL

I've found an FT-60R to be an excellent hiking/backpacking companion.

N4NJJ likes this.
  6. KM6BNX

KM6BNX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info. I was also looking at Icom HT's. I learned a lot on my (!@#$%^&) Radio, but am also looking to upgrade.
    Thanks again.

7. KG4NEL

It's hard to go wrong with any of them, really - although I couldn't stand Kenwood's menu-driven squelch when I tried it. Coming from a VX-5R years ago, there was just something about the two analog knob setup that agreed with me.

8. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

There's crying in the repeater crowd,
    Now no Baofengs are allowed,
    No Puxings either or Wouxons,
    To cause all the CB commotions.

No Contact, Personal, or QSL
    To reak with putrid smell
    With cheap as dirt machines
    Used by the dumb CBeings

KA4DPO likes this.
  9. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I think it's already been mentioned in this thread.

But, no question, HTX-202 and HTX-404.

I didn't discover them until I'd been licenced about a year. I wish someone had told me about them before I wasted money on a Yaesu.

W5SNA likes this.
  10. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Frankly, my advice is to spend as little money as possible on a handheld. There are a couple of reasons why I don't strongly recommend the Baofeng, etc., to newbies. The main reason is that it's very easy to inadvertently transmit out of band. Eventually, you're going to punch in the wrong numbers, set something on top of the PTT switch, etc. I've done things like that many times myself, and it's nice to know that the radio won't transmit outside of the ham bands. If your mike button gets stuck on the local repeater input frequency, it will be merely embarrassing. If it gets stuck on the sheriff's repeater input frequency, it probably won't be pretty.

Also, as noted above, some of them don't have an entirely clean output. IMHO, the antenna that came with mine will do a good enough job attenuating any unwanted signal. But if it's your only radio, you'll eventually want to use it with a decent antenna. My Baofeng, while adequate with a cheap antenna, doesn't really work with a good antenna. In addition to possibly putting out spurious signals, the receiver gets overloaded to the point of being entirely useless.

On the other hand, I wouldn't get a commercial radio that requires programming, even if you can do the programming yourself. If you decide to try out the next VHF contest and you want to QSY to 146.55, you don't want to mess around with having to hook it up to a computer. Or, you might want to use it for things like satellite contacts. So you'll want something you can easily control yourself, rather than relying on someone to set it up for the local repeaters.

If you understand the limitations, you might want to get a Baofeng or similar cheap radio to get started. But you do need to understand those limitations.

Kenwood, Yaesu, and Icom are all reliable brand names. I would find whatever is cheapest at the time, and go with that. Frankly, I wouldn't spend much more than $100 on a handheld. You can pay more, but IMHO, the added value just isn't worth it. A handheld radio is inherently very limiting. They're really good mostly for talking through repeaters. And I suspect most people will get tired of that pretty fast.

Handhelds are cheap, so there's no reason not to get one. But don't blow a lot of money on one. Save your money for things that will give you a lot more enjoyment. One good opportunity to see the kinds of things you can do is Field Day. Find a club that has a nice station set up, and look at the kinds of things they are doing. They'll be making HF contacts around the world with antennas made out of wire. They'll probably be making satellite contacts. They'll probably be making VHF contacts using SSB, CW, or digital modes. They might even have a portable moonbounce station set up. They might be using a few thousand dollars worth of equipment to do those things, but most of them can be done for a couple of hundred dollars. So don't blow your ham budget on a handheld radio that only does a couple of things. There are a few fun things you can do with a handheld, but there are a lot more that require different kinds of equipment.

KM4MIS and KD2ACO like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.