No Baofengs Allowed

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA4DPO, Apr 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Look and read the article and see what his reasoning is, baofeng operators are pretty much unteachable lids on his repeater. Not all but a large subset. Use of a repeater is a gift, not a right.

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

IOA:

At least to me, rather than banning every user of a Baofeng repeater from his repeater, he should ban those who's conduct does not meet expectations!

Glen, K9STH

WB7OXP likes this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The CW filter on my rig pretty much protects me from those people.

W4IOA likes this.
  4. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh I get his reasoning. Its a private repeater and only those who obey and don't piss him off are allowed on it. Ok fine it's his repeater. The best way to change lid behavior or correct a new ham is to teach, not berate. Doesn't matter what kind of radio they use. A lid could go buy a $400 HT and still be a lid. A question remains though, how does one know if the person accessing the repeater is using a Baofeng? Got a top end spectrum analyzer on it and know how to use it? Or does he perform an inspection or have new users fill out a form listing equipment as a means of barring certain people? That's discrimination. I wonder how the FCC would feel about someone with a federal license discriminating against others with federal license?

To state a large subset of baofeng users are unteachable lids on his repeater, is like saying a large subset of Native Americans are drunks. It's discrimination and it's profiling. Bluntly, it's a stupid statement. So how does he deal with a member of the click that obeys all the rules and is in good standing, then goes out and buys a Baofeng and uses it on the holy repeater? Are they excommunicated? Given a warning, pink slip, NAL?

Not to worry, the initial impression I got over 15 years ago that a large subset, but not all of Vegas hams, are snooty whackers hasn't changed,

5. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't remember.

Some of these radios have Part 90 labels and FCC ID. Others don't. So far I haven't seen anybody specify the number of each that pass or fail.

6. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

The desert heat plays tricks on their minds.

7. N4NJJ

N4NJJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you read through all of the posts, you would find that a lot of people agree with me. Glad we won't be hearing you on our system anytime soon. =]

K1FBI and W4IOA like this.
  8. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

What he did makes perfect sense to me. I get the point he's fed up with trying to help the guys.

It seems to me that if there are 100 users, 50 of which are Pofung users, and 40 incurable lids, of which 30 are in the Pofung group, the sensible thing to do is ban Pofungs.

You say that's not fair to the other 20 Pofung users. But I'm guessing that if they don't make it obvious that they're using Pofungs anyway, he's not going to ban them.

A friend of mine who carries concealed without a permit wishes they would do away with the permits and make it illegal for everyone. He reasons that he's going to carry anyway, and no one's ever going to know either way.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    W4IOA likes this.
  9. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

they did an article in QST about a year ago (or so) ... definitely more than a handful.

10. NO0D

NO0D Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear a lot of noise about my transmitters. I cain't quite understand what all the hullabaloo is about anyway. We ain't professionals, we are amateurs. It is on every piece of darned letterhead of every club in this nation. If I build a wideband spark gap transmitter in my basement and start cracking away, I got a license that says I can do that. The danged Federal Communications Commission of America says I can transmit any way I want. This hobby gets a lot dumber every time on yous amateurs get a hold of a piece of test equipment. You start lookin up all the useless numbers about some kind of performance, and then comparin it to somethin you cain't afford anyway. Do you hit the button on the side? Can someone hear ya? Then the cotton pickin thing works.

I can tell you right here and now that I ain't lettin know Chinese radio on one of my repeaters. They got them $10 bricks spray RF all over the place and causin a mess. I paid good money for my equipment and I ain't goin to let some stinkin lid that cain't afford a real radio to use it. I think there should be a law that if you want an AMERICAN call sign, you should have and AMERICAN transmitter. There ain't know reason that any ham I know should be using a Bafong radio. Buy AMERICAN, there are plenty of smokin good radios from Motorola, Icom, Kenwwod, and Yaesu.

This hole thread has been a witch hunt about a man that want to keep some of the freaks off his repeater. There ain't nothing wrong with that. This hobby ain't about inclusion. This hobby is about acquirin as much stuff as possible, transmittin as many watts as you can without getting caught, and being able look down at as many people as possible. When I am standing on top of the mountain next to MY tower and MY repeater I feel superior to the whole city because I am. I am switching to CF4 freakin M next year and I ain't lettin anyone know. MY repeater is for ME.

You folks hidin behind your keyboards need to quit your snifflin.

KV6O and K1FBI like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.