No Baofengs Allowed

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA4DPO, Apr 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations, hundreds of posts and you found someone to agree with your silly view.

2. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

N6HCM and W4IOA like this.
  3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish there was more simplex operation around here. About the only time you hear much on 2 meters in my area is during Field Day.

4. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

5Y:

I wonder how may examples the ARRL did test?

With the literally thousands of Motorola handheld units that I have seen, over the years, I definitely have run into examples that did not meet the certification requirements including brand new units, fresh from the factory.

Remember, there are no standards, in 47 CFR Part 97 for any radios transmitting above 225 MHz. As such, if the ARRL tested units transmitting on the 70 cm band, since there are no requirements for amateur radio transmitters operating on any amateur band above 225 MHz (420 MHz or higher frequencies), it doesn't matter what they observed! Also, any spurious emissions from 2-meter or 222 MHz equipment that fall above 225 MHz are not regulated! The only restriction is that such spurious emissions cannot cause harmful interference to operations in other Radio Services.

However, as close as I could read my spectrum analyzer, the spurious emissions above 225 MHz, with the unit transmitting within the 2-meter band, met the requirements as if the 225 MHz limit did not apply.

The requirements, for 47 CFR Part 90, are more stringent than those for the Amateur Radio Service and emissions above 225 MHz do come into play. As such, there is definitely a possibility that certain examples of the Baofeng (and other Chinese portables) could not meet the requirements for Part 90 service but also could definitely be used in the Amateur Radio Service because they did meet the requirements of Part 97. The differences in the requirements for Part 90 versus the requirements for Part 97 are why equipment manufactured for amateur radio use cannot legally transmit on frequencies utilized by the Part 90 Radio Services.

Glen, K9STH

5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Part 97 : Sec. 97.307 Emission standards (e) The mean power of any spurious emission from a station transmitter or external RF power amplifier transmitting on a frequency between 30–225 MHz must be at least 60 dB below the mean power of the fundamental. For a transmitter having a mean power of 25 W or less, the mean power of any spurious emission supplied to the antenna transmission line must not exceed 25 µW and must be at least 40 dB below the mean power of the fundamental emission, but need not be reduced below the power of 10 µW. A transmitter built before April 15, 1977, or first marketed before January 1, 1978, is exempt from this requirement.

The ARRL just had some equipment calibrated to bring to the Dayton HamVention to test more transmitters at the ARRL Booth.

Zack W1VT

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  6. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine say Japan. The 60r is China. But this isn't about made in China, it's about a mediocre radio and the mediocre operators behind them. Don't be a mediocre operator.

KC9UDX likes this.
  7. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

If he can be the judge of what's mediocre than so can we.

Now about those sunglasses:cool:

K1FBI likes this.
  8. K4PIH

I thought it was about equipment made in China? All of it being lumped into mediocre because of point of origin.

9. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

VT:

That is the Section of 47 CFR Part 97 that I am talking about. Frequencies above 225 MHz do not really have any restrictions. It could be argued that frequencies above 225 MHz "should" have restrictions. However, at least in my opinion, one should "let sleeping dogs lie" and not push the FCC into tightening the requirements for 70 cm and above frequency radios many of which are home brew, especially with the higher power amplifier stages.

Glen, K9STH

10. K4PIH

To be fair, I went to the not on my repeater ZED page just to get an impression.

I saw a row of HT's of assorted types. I also saw a lot of people posed with yellow safety vests on.

I got my impression.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.