ad: PowerFilm-1

No any hams on amateur bands listening

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KK6CNL, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
  1. KK6CNL

KK6CNL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi I got the radio few days ago It is icom 756 Pro 2 and try to listen any conversations on the amateur bands.I dont have antenna yet but I made the loop and attached it inside my garage where i have a radio but I can hear only AM regular radio stations.Is this supposed to be like this or is it radio bad? Do I need good antenna outside?Sorry for question like this. Im new in this business.Thanks.

2. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Look closely at your Tech manual it will tell you how to make a simple dipole so you can listen to a band or 2 till you get a better antenna up. A loop should work for you to listen what kind of a balun are you using with the loop to attach the coax to the radio with?

3. NN5AA

NN5AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Just out of curiosity, where do you live? What mode are you trying to listen with? Is your garage surrounded by 20 story buildings or hills? Do you receive FM stations where you live?

4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It also could be time of day U are listenning. Tune in 20, 15 and 10M after dark and you will only hear hiss and power lines. That is all I hear. And that is on a $6000 radio! All the ham activity has moved down to 40 and 75M. 40 is chock full of SW Broadcast stations, but between them are a few Ham QSOs. 75 has wide open spaces but in tuning the band U should find a few QSOs, mostly about Gall bladders operations and which laxative works best.

Listen to 20M during the daylight hours, 14.160-14.350 and U should hear some stations. Even with a random wire U will hear stuff. or the radio doesn't work.

5. KB9UWU

KB9UWU Ham Member QRZ Page

I honestly don't no what your doing rong. Everything sounds rite.

I'd start with 14.313MHz

6. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What mode are you using and where are you listening?

7. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Broadcast on 40

There are no SW Broadcast stations on 40 from 7.200 down.

8. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

i c wut u did there.

9. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, there's not SUPPOSED to be...but I've heard a few, and lately.

10. KK6CNL

i live in antelope,ca It is 15 miles from sacramento downtown.I tried to use LSB and USB.No Luck.My house surrond with another houses but there is no hills.I live in suburbia.I dont receive any FMs too.I think I need someone who live close to me and who can check the radio with good antenna outside the building.

11. KK6CNL

I have no baloon.It just one peace of wire doing loop.thats it.

12. KK6CNL

Just let you know guys that try to check the stations on any amateur frequencies during the daytime in noon PST.Nothing except the noise.Tried to check also at 2am PST.Same.As I said only AM regular stations is working.Think to spend $400 to buy a good antenna from MFJ but worry about the radio.If someone live in my area or close and can help me to check the radio with good antenna I will really appreciate it.Thanks

13. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We need more information in order to figure out what's going on, but here's what ought to work to get you started.

The band(s) you listen on will depend on the time of day. 10, 12, 15, 17, and at this time of year, 20 meters are only open in the daytime. Lately, the higher frequency bands haven't been great. 40 and 30 meters are open most of the time - 30 meters is Morse Code and digital modes, only, so you won't find any voice there. 40 meters from 7125 to 7300 should have some hams in the daytime, particularly in the morning and early afternoon. Toward evening, the band above 7200 gets largely taken over by broadcast stations, though some hams operate on clearer frequencies between them. 80/75 meters is primarily used at night, as is 160 meters.

The voice operation tends to be in the higher frequency end of the bands.

A random wire antenna in the garage should pull in some signals, particularly on 40 (7.125 ti 7.300) and 75 (3.6 to 4.0 MHz.). You may have too much local noise from devices in the garage or the house, though, so an outdoor antenna away from the house will probably work much better.

14. KK6CNL

What I think I will try to take the radio with this loop antenna outside and check if I can get anything.I'll let you know.Also for some reasons if I turn AM radio in my car it doesnt work in the garage and work only if I take car out.May be that the reason why I cant take any stations in the garage?What you think?

15. KQ9J

KQ9J Subscriber QRZ Page

How did I sleep through February and March all the way till April 1st? I missed the super bowl...rats.

16. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Also, don't be in a rush to spin the VFO through the band. Take your time and search smaller blocks of spectrum back and forth a few times. Propagation has not been the best lately and you may have to listen hard to hear one side or another of a QSO.

17. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

I was thinking the same thing.

"Baloon" did it.

73 de Jim, N2EY

18. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

It's easy to make fun of someone.

Don't dismiss the possibility that Maxmind's first language is not English.

19. KB9UWU

KB9UWU Ham Member QRZ Page

He should learn to speak ham by reading a "get your license" book first.

20. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tune the receiver to someplace with a nice strong signal like 10 MHz (right on 10.000). That'll tell you if you can at least receive something (you should hear the time and tones).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.