ad: davisrf

Newbie. Signal link usb to Kenwoon ts-570D can anyone help me get this working?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by N8JWB, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-rl
  1. N8JWB

N8JWB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a signal link USB and a Kenwood Ts-570-D and Tried to get this working with the laptop (Windows-7) but can't seem to get things going. I admit I know little about this so please excuse what might sound like a dumb question.

The Signal Link USB is wired to the 570's 13 pin port and the usb cable from the laptop to the Signal link USB.

Am I missing a cable? I tried the several programs on the signal link disc but nothing seems to get the Kenwood 570 to transmit. I have been to 2 dozen or more web sites and nothing is there to tell me what I need or am doing wrong and asking others on the radio leads no where.

Does anyone have this set up and know the proper programming or hookup?
  2. WB0VHB

WB0VHB Ham Member QRZ Page

You haven't recieved any replies so I'm not sure if my suggestion is correct. I have a similar station and if I remember right, I had to turn up the transmit audio drive in either the Signal link or the software program to get the radio to transmit. The radio transmit gain is kept low to keep any AGC needle movement to a minimum.

Good luck and I hope I haven't directed you down the wrong road!
  3. N5MDT

N5MDT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmmm.....Inside the Signalink is a jumper block. It may or may not have exposed jumper wires. Mine does but I believe the new generation Signalinks have a molded jumper block. Are you sure you have the correct jumper block installed, or the jumpers are correct?

Next, be sure whatever program you are using is setup to select the USB-Codec sound card (Signalink.)
    Look in your audio properties. One bad thing about Windows 7 is that every time you plug in the Signalink it sets it to be the default sound device. You have to make sure the default is still your on board sound card. Be sure and set the volume to max on the USB-Codec device.
    Set your Signalink dials to 9 o'clock position for TX and RX and set delay to full counter-clockwise.

If you see the audio in your audio properties but your Signalink is not transmitting start increasing your TX level on the Signalink. I have seen it as much as the 12 o'clock position before it starts transmitting.

I am not familiar with the radio, but you may need to set it to a digital mode in order for it to transmit off that port. Or you may need to turn on VOX. Checking your radio manual should tell you this.

When you attempt to transmit, open your audio properties and select the USB-Codec device and you should be able to monitor the audio level being sent to your Signalink. Be sure you see that...
  4. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

The Yahoo user group for the SignaLink is here;

They can help walk you through it.

I would work with one piece of software that you are certain will work in Win7 rather than jumping around with different software. I believe that Fldigi works fine with Win7 and is a free download. It is a good piece of digital mode software too.

I found the instructions for the SignaLink USB were excellent and it was a fast setup with WinXP for me so keep at it, you'll get it going.
  5. N8JWB

The signal link has the appropriate module I bought with it for the Kenwood ts-570. I will check out your suggestions tomorrow and thank you very much!

6. N8JWB

Thank you very much, I applied to the yahoo group to join. Thanks again.

7. KX8J

KX8J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a SignaLink USB and a TS-570D. First off is the PTT LED on the SignaLink USB lighting up? This would be indicating that it is attempting to key up the radio. If the PTT LED is not lit you possibly do not have the sound level control for the USB audio CODEC device turned up high enough on the computer. On my computer I have to have the USB audio CODEC speaker volume set to at least 3/4 to get the SignaLink to transmit and key the PTT line. When the level is high enough you will see the PTT LED on the SignaLink light indicating that it should be keying the radio.

Did you get correct cable for the SignaLink and the TS-570D when you purchased the unit or did you make your own? If you made your own you need to verify your wiring to the pins. If I remember right 9 is where you will hook your PTT to.

In the menu on the Kenwood option 33 is for the input level on the 13 pin ACC connector. Option 34 is the audio output level on the 13pin acc connnector. I have my input set to 1 and my output set to 5. You may need to adjust these depending on your level settings on your SignaLink.

Good Luck.
  8. N8JWB

Thanks for the reply and information. The cables are all signal link and I purchased it all together with the dedicated prom wiring thing/chip inside the Signal link.

I am trying to get Fldigi to work on the laptop with the Windows 7 and it keeps freezing up or something similar to a crash.

What program are you using to operate this all on the computer?
  9. N8JWB

Thanks very much I tweeked the levels more after setting the 570 to the settings you reccommended. And it now works perfectly. Once again thank you very much, and to all the others that offered advice thanks all of you.

10. KX8J

KX8J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Glad to hear you got it straightened out. I use several different programs but I am still running XP. I mainly use JT65-HF and DM-780 and Fldigi from time to time..
  11. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

The simplest solution

reply deleted because you got it working ok per your last post... :)
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.