ad: elecraft

New Yaesu FT2DR HT with large LCD screen introduced.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WS4E, Dec 10, 2014.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. G4TMF

G4TMF Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a great hobby but originally, Amateurs were granted licences to experiment and progress Radio Communication. Digital, in all it's different configurations, is still in it's infancy as a mainstream communication mode amongst Amateurs. Which system will eventually come out on top has yet to be decided. The best system will not necessarily be the one that becomes the most popular.

Compare the old video formats Betamax and VHS. Apparently, Sony's Betamax was the superior mode in video recording when compared to VHS but I think JVC's VHS system won through because it was a lot cheaper than the Beta models and eventually won out. However in Japan, Beta still held a good market until both systems were superseded by Laser recording technology.

From what I have read, Yaesu are making repeater units available to clubs for as little as $500. Here in the UK we have a few repeater stations using Fusion technology and one down in the East Dorset area where I live has been setup by a couple of Amateur operators but the cost is around 4 times as much as the one quoted in the replies. It's coverage is immense considering the other local analogue repeaters and the difference in audio quality when compared to weak analogue signals is impressive. It has wakened up a lot of guys in the area and mobile/mobile/home based communication has become popular once more on the 2 metre band.

I have just ordered the FT-2DE but it is not expected to reach the shores of our island for another 5-6 weeks when by that time I may well be on holiday in St Lucia so I will not be able to give my views on the hand held marvel until the first week in June. I may have made the wrong choice but at present it is the best choice available and the different types of mode that allow Amateurs with analogue and digital to co-exist together must be a good thing.

Time will tell whether I made the right choice or not but it is my choice and I hope it is the right one. Either way, you pays your money and takes your choice. Who said that I wonder? :)

73 de Peter (Wessex) DorZ3t County.

2. W4FTL

W4FTL Ham Member QRZ Page

you are a moron

I plan on buying this radio as soon as it is available. I've been a ham for 52 years and it keeps getting better and better and this new HT is innovative and useful, and no doubt will be fun to use. Too bad you cant appreciate it. Maybe you will grow up someday.

3. KC4YLV

KC4YLV Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-100's are notorious for blowing finals, as are the 857's.

Granted, the 706's have the same problem, but to a far lesser degree.

I'd vote for a new 817 replacement, but removing some of the useless (in a portable/QRP setting) bands and adding more fun ones. Yank out 80 and 160, for God's sake - nobody is throwing up a wire in a park and landing top band QSOs on 5 watts. That should ease some of the filtering/final requirements. And add 220, for the love of the three wise men.

4. W4SEX

W4SEX Ham Member QRZ Page

exactly, thank you, ...my buddy had the finals blow in his 817 twice, then swore off of them for good. I was interested in the new 400 and the third review i found ...same thing, smoke rolls out of it..again

5. KK6PAK

KK6PAK Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure you have answered this already, but I can't find it. Why has the FT2DR not been released for sale in the US? What is the reason for no FCC approval? Thank you.

6. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Fusion repeaters are selling like hotcakes here in SoCal. All the repeater clubs are replacing their older repeaters with them. Our club got 2 and both our 2M and 450 will be Fusion. Too bad they don't make a 222 model!!
    I have a FT1DR and carry it on my belt at all times now. FUSION Rocks. DStar just wishes it were FUSION!!

7. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ditto, All of my gear is Yaesu, save for ONE Icom IC91AD for D-STAR, which I am muddling through setting up. It appears you, K4YZ are also a neighbor, being at the bottom of the hill in Winchester. I'm up on the mountain in Sewanee.

8. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

While they do have that problem, I found that NOT cranking the power output in the so-called "secret menu" and actually operating at less than full rated power keeps my FT-100D and my FT-897 (the 857's bigger brother) very happy. As the finals in the FT-100 are made of unobtainium I want to keep it running as long as possible.

9. KK6PAK

So no one knows why Yaesu is not allowed to sell the FT2DR?

10. AK9R

AK9R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As near as I can tell, the FCC does not test much equipment any more. Most of the compliance testing is done by independent labs who produce comprehensive test reports which are then sent to the FCC for review and approval. If the FCC has questions about the information submitted by the manufacturer/importer or about the test report, there will be some back and forth until the FCC is satisfied and the FCC ID is assigned.

I'd guess that only the FCC and Yaesu know why the FT-2D has not been approved for sale and they aren't talking publicly about it. It'll be approved when it's approved.

11. KK6PAK

Thank you!

12. K5SNK

K5SNK Ham Member QRZ Page

I called yaesu on Friday....they said they were to have them in stock by the end of june???? :cool:

13. KG6JIY

KG6JIY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Mine will be delivered Monday (6-22) from HRO.
    Bruce
    KG6JIY

14. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

HRO San Diego just got some in. They were sold out within just moments!!! Maybe more will come in. big demand for them! I already have a FT1DR so I am all set. Looks like all the LEGACY repeaters are going to be replaced with FUSION repeaters! .
    Of course when I bought my FT1DR, the FT2 wasn't even advertised yet, so no one knew!
    But my FT1DR will hafta do.

15. K5SNK

K5SNK Ham Member QRZ Page

mine will be here on tue's!!!! yippie!!!