NEW YAESU FT-991 BEWARE!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N9LAB, Dec 1, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. N9LAB

N9LAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Just last week I purchased a new Yaesu FT-991 with hopes it would be a new welcome addition to my shack. DAMN was I wrong. I did not rush to set it up when I received it but the following early morning before I went to bed I unboxed it and hooked it up. All systems were go and radio powered up over 100 watts and all modes worked, so I shut the rig off with hopes of having a nice weekend of dxing. Well once again I was wrong, as soon as I switched on and attempted to transmit I noticed no RF out on any band or any mode, still with hopes that maybe I hit the wrong button or program mode that I shut off. Well not the case. after doing some internet research I found many hams having same problems and a lot more.

Yaesu dumped this radio on the american hams to test and work out the bugs for them.It was a hams nightmare. don't assume Yaesu is going to be spot on because of past experience. That was my first mistake. I was glad that I purchased this $1,500 paper weight from a good dealer and it was taken back with my request for a credit towards the new Icom 7300 which is due out for sale early in 2016 per Icom USA. You will not have 2 meters and 440 bands but from what the reviews were in Japan it seems like its the cutting edge of what we all expect from a transceiver. Keep my fingers crossed. Price to be from 1.200 to 1,500 so they say.

2. KE4QYM

KE4QYM Ham Member QRZ Page

I purchased my 991 new and had to send it in to repair a cold solder joint in the final section

3. KQ0J

KQ0J Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like you got handed a lemon and are making lemonade.

KD8NGE and W6JWZ like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a generalization for defamation. Sorry for your specific problem but who exactly are these other hams with faulty 991s?

W4AMP, AD0MI and KZ3J like this.
  5. N0CSW

N0CSW Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, due to the sheer amount we've sold a few have issues here and there.

Leonard, I'd be happy to assist you in any way I can, feel free to call me at 1-714-827-7600 Ext. 2730 or 1-657-378-8137 (direct).

Chris W / N0CSW
    Yaesu USA

N3CI, KC8VWM, KC2SIZ and 33 others like this.
  6. K8CIX

K8CIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Same issues here. Bought the first one, loved it's look out of the box. No transmit. Back to dealer, 60 miles one way.
    Replaced by second one. Same nice look, out of the box. 5 contacts I hear a sizzling from inside and smell smoke, no output. Back
    to dealer. Still 60 miles one way. Well it's possible to get a couple of lemons in a row, right? Pick up second replacement, third rig,
    start for car then return and decide to unbox and test at dealer, (60 miles, one way). Pretty, out of the box, NO TRANSMIT.
    Money credited to my credit card and I'm on my way home to look through the listings on the internet for a nice Transceiver.

Roger, K8CIX

N4FZ, KZ3J and W4KVW like this.
  7. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

YAESU = YET ANOTHER EXCUSE SIMPLY USELESS.

Clayton
    W4KVW

KW4MA, WB8NUT, W4SEX and 1 other person like this.
  8. K8MGA

K8MGA Ham Member QRZ Page

These experiences sounds like an affirmative defense for defamation Mr. Yaesu! Sounds like poor quality control.

KW4MA and WB8NUT like this.
  9. N0CSW

N0CSW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Roger, where did you purchase your radio? I'd like to look into this more. If we have a few bad units out there, I'd like to track them and make sure we know exactly what is going on.

A lot of these units have been produced, and we can track what may be going on and figure out if there is a widespread issue.

I look at the amount we've sold vs the amount of problems we had, and it just doesn't add up at the moment. But these comments make me want to thoroughly investigate it.

Chris W.

KW4MA, K2MAK, WA7PRC and 9 others like this.
  10. K8CIX

K8CIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Visited my Son in California for Thanksgiving and purchased it there. I won't disparage the dealer as they were great. Maybe I just hit the bad
    spot. I had an FT-1000 Field that was a great rig and I loved it and it worked fine for years. So I have no hard feeling for Yaesu (no really, anyway)
    but it was an upset to not come home with a beautiful new rig. Roger, K8CIX

KB3SEG likes this.